X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anthcap
    • Jul 2001

Jig Bore vs. Vertical Milling Machine

I have recently moved far out of the machine shop and into the realm of sales (eek). However, in an effort to keep some of my skills up and for just plain tinkering, I plan on purchasing as small and cheap a milling machine as I can.

I have found access to a cheap jig bore, though. And I have no experience with one of these. It does appear, though that the table travels in 2 axes, leading me to believe that it might do for a mill on a tight budget.

Can anyone help me decipher the critical disadvantages of using this machine in applications that I traditionally would've accomplished on a milling machine?
  • Milacron of PM
    • Apr 2001

Depends on the jig borer...even the age. The early Linley's for instance had dovetail ways, whereas the later models were like Moore and had V ways. The V way machines ability to mill is limited by weight of the table. I used a Moore no. 3 for years as a miller for aluminum and light steel work....worked fine, but the no. 3 is a big machine, not sure the Moore no. 1 1/2 would have worked so well.

I actually preferred the Moore to a Bridgeport for milling, as moving the Z axis involved moving the head...easy and quick with it's rack and pinion... rather than a heavy knee with it's slow screw, and the tooling was very easy and quick to change. One disadvantage is no easy way to add power feed on the table. I bought a Servo drive for a Bridgeport thinking I could make an adapter somehow but never got around to it..still have that brand new Servo sitting in it's box !

[This message has been edited by D. Thomas (edited 08-06-2001).]

Comment

• BigDave
      • Aug 2001

What does a jig bore do that a mill can't?

Comment

Working...
      X