PDA

View Full Version : Atlas craftsman bandsaw blades

chip's
07-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Hi all, we have an atlas/craftsman horizontal bandsaw. It is a good little saw but it is getting hard to find blades that will hold up. I have tried the ones from sears but they are poor quality. The teeth are bad and dull rapidly. The ones I could get before from them lasted a long while. I have tried others too but even though the quality is good the blades break in the weld. I'm sure this is because the blades are .025" instead of the .020" that is recommended in the manual. Do any of you have a good source of blades for this saw? The blades are 1/2" x 60". The saw is a model 108.22921. I would be grateful for any help, thanks.

MGREEN
07-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Hi Chips,
http://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_25/products_id/34

Choose the 5 foot long X .020" thickness bimetal lennox diemaster.
I have the exact same saw that I've modified a bit.

Shade
07-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Hi Chips,
http://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_25/products_id/34

Choose the 5 foot long X .020" thickness bimetal lennox diemaster.
I have the exact same saw that I've modified a bit.

I concur. Lenox Diemaster

I will add you want to have ideally between 6-12 in cut at any time, and
at the extreme never less than 3 teeth and never more than 24 teeth, if
you do you will strip teeth.

Gazz
07-17-2013, 08:46 AM
What material are you cutting?

Shade
07-17-2013, 08:52 AM
http://www.lenoxtools.com/Pages/Home.aspx

http://www.lenoxtools.com/Pages/BladeSelector.aspx

George Seal
07-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Mike
how about posting your mods so the rest of us owners can benifit

bosox
07-17-2013, 02:21 PM
You may want to take a look Haltbar (www.sawblade.com)band saw blades. Quick delivery and good quality blades.

J Tiers
07-17-2013, 06:59 PM
I just get the Lenox from MSC, but someone else might be cheaper.

The blades eventually break, unless they get dull first, but that's life.

Do all the Atlas take the same size? I have a 4353, and IIRC it takes a 62" blade.

MGREEN
07-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Hi George,
See this thread from a while back
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/30566-Horizontal-bandsaw-project?highlight=mgreen

Recently, I made a new bronze bushing for the upper wheel and I have ordered new tires for
both wheels.
When I get them I'll mount them and report back.

portlandRon
07-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Regarding tires for these saws. I replaced mine with flat vacuum cleaner belts I got at ACE Hardware two years ago and they are still working great. Best part is they only cost a couple of bucks each.

chip's
07-18-2013, 12:05 AM
THANKS everyone, I am very grateful for all the information. Mike thanks for the info. on your saw. I am cutting mild steel, thick wall rounds 3/16 -1/4", flats 3/16 - 1/4" and tubing 1/8 - 1/4".

J Tiers
07-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Better get the finest blade then.... to keep 3 in the cut at 1/8", the pitch can't be over 0.040".

You can cut bigger with fine teeth, but you need to slow the feed a bunch. I've cut 4" with a 10 tooth blade.

You cannot cut thinner with big teeth, no matter what. Not without risk, and very careful hand feeding of the blade. I say that only because I know you "can do it", but it's not remotely recommended.

Shade
07-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Better get the finest blade then.... to keep 3 in the cut at 1/8", the pitch can't be over 0.040".

You can cut bigger with fine teeth, but you need to slow the feed a bunch. I've cut 4" with a 10 tooth blade.

You cannot cut thinner with big teeth, no matter what. Not without risk, and very careful hand feeding of the blade. I say that only because I know you "can do it", but it's not remotely recommended.

Yeah that is the challenge with narrow blade your pitch choices are limited. I started out
with a small 4x6 Jet Bandsaw 1/2 blade ran Lenox Diemaster's, then picked up an almost
new 7x12 Jet ran that into the ground with production cutting while I was running my
welding business, when that machine was spending as much time being rebuilt as it was
cutting I again upgraded to an Ellis 1600, that 1" wide blade gives me a lot a pitch choices
and a solid machine to cut with, Those little saws really go through blades. You do have
to be willing to change blades though if you go between solids or heavy wall and thin wall
stuff. I mostly cut solids and heavy sections, recently got a 2-3 pitch blade for cutting 6
inch solid round and solid square aluminum for a good friend of mine who is building a
opposed piston 2-stoke engine. He also just put a turbo on his Banshee.

I digress, Chip, I do not know what you are cutting most just keep in mind with the 1/2"
blade you are very limited in what you can cut with them. Nature of the beast. We all
have to start somewhere. if you start getting into bigger cuts you might want to see
about upgrading your saw. Also making your own band saw is a good shop project if
you have the time.

bosox
07-18-2013, 03:19 PM
You should check on haltbar . They have wide selection of band saw blades.

chip's
07-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Thanks again everyone, I will be checking with these places. I would think about upgrading the saw but it only sees use like this, maybe once in five years or so.

J Tiers
07-19-2013, 12:01 AM
If you have a lot of cutting to do, it pays to get a better saw. But mine cuts what I want it to, and you can often orient the part so the apparent thickness is larger, like cutting angle with pointy side up.

I've cut up to almost 5" diameter with mine, just needed to reduce the feed.

Sure beats by hand...

chip's
07-19-2013, 12:12 AM
This saw works well to cut everything I need to. I was just trying to find good blades. I used to get the ones from sears. They were great blades. The welds never broke and I could use them so long the teeth would wear down to nubs. This is not the case now though.