X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Swearingen
    • Jul 2013

Pratt and Whitney 10" engine lathe

I am new here, I found this site while looking for information on this lathe. As far as I can tell it is a Pratt and Whitney 10" engine lathe. It has a 3' table, a 6 1/4" self align 3 prong chuck and a 8" 4 prong chuck that is not self align.

My dad bought this years ago from what he remembers as government surplus. The lathe is really tight with no play or wear. It has a lot of the hardware with it.

Here are my questions: I farm in North Central Iowa. Would this lathe be a good machine to use to learn how to make parts I may need (shafts, bushings etc.)? If this is not a good machine, what would be a good one and what would be a fair price to ask for this one to put towards a new one?

Does anyone have anymore info on this machine? I have looked all over and have only found one craigslist ad in Oregon for one that looked similar.

Thank you again for the great website and help!

• Al Swearingen
    • Jul 2013

Comment

• Al Swearingen
      • Jul 2013

Comment

• RussZHC
        • Mar 2010

Welcome.

My personal opinion would be that, for what you say you want to do, it is a very good lathe. You want to learn and this lathe is pretty basic. The items you want to make and being on a farm I think this lathe would be a very good fit. The "farm" reference is more of a need (likely?) for a wide variety of bits and pieces but only rarely high multiples of said bits [you may need 20 bushings over the course of a couple of seasons but of maybe 15 different sizes etc. etc.]

The "limitations" would be the size of spindle bore (whatever you can fit through the length is, to some degree "limitless"; as opposed to what does not fit through), the maximum distance between centers and the diameter you can swing over the bed (or over carriage, depending on need).

To me it looks like the lathe is very complete (lots of change gears if threading work is needed) including draw bar and collets. P&W made very good quality, so unless it is beat to death...it would have very good value IF you found the "right" person partially because of its completeness but having change gears (as opposed to quick change gear box) and its age make it a little less desirable IMO.

Comment

• Don Young
          • Jun 2004

I think that lathe will do nearly everything you would need. It is a high quality machine even though it is quite old. The only exception would be for parts that are too large. Don't let those gears, chuck jaws, and collets get separated from the lathe as they are important to its use.
          Don Young

Comment

• flylo
            • Apr 2011

You already own it & it's well tooled, I think it will do fine. In the future if you need a bigger lathe this will sell easy with all that tooling & I love the gearbox!

Comment

• Al Swearingen
              • Jul 2013

Thanks for the help! Is there a good book to start with on the basics? I used one back in high school but that was years ago.

I think the gear box is cool too. I'm guessing that wasn't standard?

Comment

• Shade
                • May 2013

This is a good site for reference material.

Google "How to run a lathe." you will find the old South Bend pamphlet, it is a great starter.
                Last edited by Shade; 07-22-2013, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Boostinjdm
                  • Mar 2011

Where zactlee are you? I'd be willing to help get you started if you aren't too far away. I'm in the E-burg area.

Comment

• Al Swearingen
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Boostinjdm View Post
                    Where zactlee are you? I'd be willing to help get you started if you aren't too far away. I'm in the E-burg area.
                    Thank you for the offer! I am down around Humboldt. I was thinking about enrolling in a class at ICCC in Fort Dodge to help get started, but before I do that I think I'll just start messing around with it and see what I can learn off the internets.

If you are willing, I may take you up on your offer this winter sometime.

Thanks again!

Comment

• michigan doug
                      • Nov 2011

Hope you have some free time soon. Go watch all the videos by these two guys, MrPete first:

Find all my videos, by google searching [email protected] takes you on a tour of his 4 Kennedy toolboxes-drawer by drawer. This tour will be ...

Then Keith Fenner with turnwright machine shop:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Your lathe is of considerably higher quality than almost all imported lathes of similar size today, if it is not broken or worn out.

Good luck. Have fun. Ask questions.

doug

Comment

• ogre
                        • Jan 2012

I have an old Southbend 13" lathe from 1930's with similar but mines factory flat belt drive way up high mounted with very heavy cast iron tower,and quick change box and i love it so i think it would do more than you can throw at it.Just make sure u clean her and oil her up Everywhere before starting her up.

Comment

Working...
                        X