PDA

View Full Version : Socket Holders

Szatniasz
03-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Hello,

Does any body have any good ideas or examples for home made socket holders?

I can buy those metal strips with the springy steel clips but I don't want to shell out all that money. I have over 1000 sockets of 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" size.

Thanks,

Szatniasz

Chester
03-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Made custom shallow trays from 18ga. sheet steel that fit into drawers. Short sockets stand and long ones (deep) lay down, separated by appropriate dividers. Easily made if you have a simple brake. Painted, they look like they came with the tool box. Have also seen tool trays at flea markets, that could be adapted with dividers.

moldmonkey
03-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Szatniasz

I bought some "Mechanics Time Saver" socket holders that are a block of plastic with drilled holes for the sockets to set in with a piece of sheet magnet attached to the bottom. You can set them on a vertical surface next to where you are working and they won't fall down and the sockets won't fall out. Snap-On, Mac, etc. sell them. Wouldn't be hard to make. Some more are somewhere on my too long project list.

Jon

chkz
03-28-2004, 08:51 PM
i wouldn't bother with the racks with the springy things on 'em.....they SUCK !! Think, personally, that dividers are the way to go...in a tray or toolbox drawer...

jh
03-28-2004, 09:25 PM
How about dowels in the drive holes? I never liked the spring things so for myself drilled holes in walnut the right size but that is a lot of work next time I'm doing dowels up the middle. As long as you don't bounce them all over the place they will stay in place. James

PSD KEN
03-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Lot to be said for the springy things, to wit: @**())%_%++__))(

wierdscience
03-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Springy things,they don't even throw worth a hoot http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Drawer cabinet,if your like me you probibly got 200 9/16"anyway.

Joel
03-28-2004, 11:38 PM
Apparently unlike may people, I have had great luck with socket rails, I even have plenty of .99 cent ones. They work fine for me, except the cheap ones don't work very well for 1/4" sockets. They are a very inexpensive way to keep sockets organized and portable. I started my working career as a mechanic, and still have several of the rails (fully functional) that I purchased a lot of years ago. I still consider socket rails to be the most cost effective solution IMHO.

GM54210
03-29-2004, 02:04 AM
The best holders I have ever seen/owned are cast rubber strips with a series of nubs sticking up along the middle of the strip. The sockets press onto the nubs. Since they're rubber, they won't scratch anything and will easily lay on irregular surfaces. I have had a set for over 20 years - they work great.

Wes

docsteve66
03-29-2004, 11:15 PM
I chop off (short lengths) of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch bolts. THey fit the sockets well. Then a quick braze to some thin sheet metal. Space the bolts to fit sockets, just room enough to get your finger tips on the sockets.

I use cheap tin boxes, with hinged lids to hold the sockets, ratchets etc. When I travel, the tools are at hand, fast inventory, use a small amount of space. I done learned the ,when working be side the road or in a parking lot, that it is faster in the long run to restore tools as I use them, then to fumble around hunting for tools- done it in the dark a few times.

wannabee
03-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Just toss them all in a drawer. One big mess. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

I use the magnetic backed strips with little studs on them. Have all my SAE and metric aligned that way. 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" deep and shallow with redundant sets of 3/8 and 1/2 and then have swivels both impact and non-impact, then have impact 3/8 and 1/2 deep and shallow etc. So basically I have a lot of them organized this way.

caltom
03-30-2004, 12:11 AM
Over 1000 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4"!!!... Holy geez man... they make some other sizes too... I've bought a couple of a size that I need alot but... dude that's extreme, you rock! how many 1/2" wrenches ya got?? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Just kidding.

I made a socket holder toolbox tray out of plywood and some resawn 1x2s. I just stood them up grouped SAE and metric according to drive size, cut the 1x2s to whatever length and boxed in the sockets. Also made a holder for my toolbox out of plastic with holes drilled for the different sizes. Craftsman has something similar, and that's where I got the idea, mine just has less dead space and more room for sockets.

Szatniasz
03-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for all your ideas. So far I really like the cut bolts brazed to thin sheet metal.

Now, I never brazed in my life. Can somebody give me quick overview and the equipment I would need for that.

caltom, over the years the stuff adds up. One third of the sockets go in my what I call "Mobile" kit. Also, I was given alot of tools as hand me downs. FYI, I think I have 5 1/2" rachets. I like to consider my self as a semi pro mechanic that does stuff on the weekends.

Thanks,

Szatniasz

------------------

[This message has been edited by Szatniasz (edited 03-30-2004).]

Szatniasz
04-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Well, this is what I came up with:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~etaradys/socketholder.jpg

I just did this for my main, mostly used, most expensive socket set, and only for the deep sockets for now.

Its made out of plexiglass. Total material cost was something along the line of $5.50 CDN.

Halfway through I realized that this is going to be a hell of a lot of work; and I probobly won't do it for the rest of my sockets. But since I started it I had to finish it.

Thanks everybody for your previous ideas.

Szatniasz

docsteve66
04-09-2004, 10:47 PM
NIce looking job. When I suggested 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 bolts, I was suggesting a system to crowd maximum tools in a small space and make them "self inventorying". Yours is a "gentleman's" setup. Prettiest thing (to me) are the numbers.

Good job!