X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ogre
    • Jan 2012

Best Endmill sharpener?

Does anybody own a Weldon 200 or Darex endmill sharpener or have an opinion on any sharpener they have used and liked? Just would like a way to sharpen my own tooling up to probably 3/4". Would spend between $700-$2000 for whatever works the best to get the most out of my tooling. If someone knows of a machine that does endmills and more,like horizontal mill cutters,or slot saws id be interested in that also.Thanks guys!
  • duckman
    • Nov 2009

I have a Darex and they will have to pry it out of my hands when they put me away, sharpen dull cutters, make special diameter cutters, and if you go slow you can make counter bores. Got mine at the Eastec show, show special EM sharpener and drill sharpener 1 price , and as an added bonus they both came with diamond wheels, these were supposed to be show demo units but they sent me brand new from the factory. I"m glad I was sitting down last time I checked the EM sharpener was over $3,400.00 , I've probably saved that much since I've had it.

Comment

• JEZX
      • Feb 2012

i got one of the $500-600 ones from Northern tools , had it for a year and im finally good at using it . it will do a great job on the end of any cutter . sharping the side is a bit harder , but ive done a few realy well . i got a $20 diamond wheel and it is great
      the graduation numbers actualy work pretty well .

Comment

• ogre
        • Jan 2012

Wow duckman,that thing must be gold! I noticed most usedDarex sharpeners are well used indicating people are getting alot of use out of them instead of buying it and it dont work right so they sit until sold someday. They are definitly higher priced but ill pay more for something that works great instead of something that costs less but is fussy and only gets it right half the time. Cant go to $3500 but ill see what else they offer or a good used model.

Comment

• Toolguy
          • Jan 2010

I have a Darex E90. It has an air bearing spindle, wheel for. and rev. and uses 5C collets. I sharpen HSS and carbide endmills, reamers, make step drills and custom drills, endmills and reamers. It works great. They come up on eBay occasionally for under $3000, sometimes a lot less.
          Kansas City area

Comment

• ogre
            • Jan 2012

Toolguy i just got off ebay and ya theyre pricey! But i did find 1 for $1800 so ill keep an eye out. seems that people that have one are really happy with them.

Comment

• flylo
              • Apr 2011

Ogre, I'll look for a deal for you

Comment

• MichaelP
                • Sep 2008

It means you can quit checking eBay and any Midwestern Craig's List because Flylo will be the highest bidder every time you find anything reasonably priced.
                Last edited by MichaelP; 07-28-2013, 07:47 PM.
                Mike
                WI/IL border, USA

Comment

• HAP
                  • Mar 2010

I got a Darex E90 off of Ebay for 1,400.00. I was in great condition had all of the parts. Some have been robbed of the air spindles or stylus, so keep a good ye on what you are buying...
                  R,
                  HAP
                  Who do I think you are...?

Comment

• macona
                    • Aug 2006

Have you thought about just sending them to a local company that sharpens cutters. It is usually 5-7 a piece for larger ones. You can get a lot sharpened for the cost of a sharpener. They come back dipped and the new measurement marked.

I had a setup for sharpening. Sold it. By the time I needed to sharpen an end mill I usually ended up destroying it one way or another.

Comment

• ogre
                      • Jan 2012

Thought considered macona. Thank you guys!

Comment

• dalee100
                        • Jan 2007

Hi,

I have a Darex E90 at work. It gets used multiple times during the day to sharpen endmills by several of us. They work well enough for what they are, a relatively inexpensive and simple way to quickly sharpen most common sized endmills to good enough condition for most milling work.

I can teach you how to sharpen the sides in about 5 minutes, learning to do the ends take about 10 minutes to learn. Drawbacks are that it is difficult to sharpen endmills much smaller than 5/16" and 1" shanks are about as big as you can do, (5C collets are limiting factor). So I need to send out my 1 1/14" shanks anyway.

Overall it is much cheaper than a K.O. Lee tool and cutter grinder and easier to use. On the other hand, it isn't as versatile or as good. Most home shops probably are like Macona, it's cheaper to have someone else do the work when needed. But for a commercial shop it can pay in reduced inventory and turn around time.

dalee
                        If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

• Bruce Griffing
                          • Jan 2003

I have a Darex E90 as well. The only drawback is that the machine is not equipped to re-gash the endmill. So after a few sharpenings of the end, you have to find a way to gash the tool or toss it.

Comment

• ogre
                            • Jan 2012

I do not see issue with sending out for sharpening but i am one of those that seem to have to do everthing myself and the uncontrollable urge to buy just one more tool. Just one more.Just one more.Just one more.
                            Does anybody know of a meeting close by? For TAA? Tool Addictions Anon
                            Last edited by ogre; 07-29-2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• mc_n_g
                              • Jan 2002

I also bought a used Darex E90 and it has been very helpful.
                              The only problems I have is trying to regrind to a set size. Say regrind to 0.005 smaller it batches and color code them.
                              I use CBN, diamond and a white alox flared cup.
                              HSS mostly and upon occasion carbide is sharpened but I have no good control to remove carbide dust aside from a vacuum with a HEPA filter
                              Regardless the Darex system works well once you get accustom to it. The air bearing is the key. I don't think it is worth much without it.
                              The Cuttermaster is a similar system but more expensive. It has a tilting head.

I second the problem of no gashing. That is a bummer sometimes but the ability to resharpen is a big plus.
                              I use all regrinds for roughing then use new end mills for final cuts. It works for me on both manual and CNC.
                              Would love to have a tool and cutter grinder with necessary attachments for ball mills and radiused corners.
                              I know what that will cost me unless I luck into one.
                              I was thinking of making a jig to create chamfered corners at a controlled and measurable size for either the Darex or secondary operation.
                              That is a little while in coming due to other pressing requirements.

I have a few older zoomed in shots of end mills in various stages. You can click through the image with the arrows.
                              "3/8 endmill resharpened"
                              These are not my abuses of end mills. People in the shop go far too long and cause more damage to the end mill so it needs more grinding.

Comment

Working...
                              X