PDA

View Full Version : South Bend Lathe

flusen
04-18-2002, 05:45 PM
I am looking at buying a 9" SB. Here is all the information I have so far.

"I am the second owner of the lathe .I was purchased back in the mid 40s and
I bought it from the orig owner. Has tool holders (right, left ,thread,bore,cutoff),
and steady rest. Has V bed ,not flat like a atlas lathe,and quick change gear box,
with a flat belt drive."

I am assuming this is an A model since it has a QC box. Am I correct?

The asking price is $1100.00. It is 200 miles from me so I may actually be able to get a look at it. Depends on what kind of answers I get.

Regards to all,

Fred Lusen

bighammer
04-18-2002, 06:25 PM
It may be a model B, model A will have a power cross feed. Not a bad price if chucks (3&4 jaw) are with it. Check for ridges ON vee ways. If flat belt slips too bad turn the pulleys flat and groove them for a poly-vee belt. I did that on my 1939 model .

Cookie

flusen
04-18-2002, 06:47 PM
I was under the impression (from what I saw on the SB site) that the A model was the only one with the QC gear box.

Fred

roberlt
04-18-2002, 07:24 PM
Right, A model A has a QC gearbox. A model B has change gears and power cross feed. A model C has change gears and no power crossfeed

Rob

[This message has been edited by roberlt (edited 04-18-2002).]

Herb W
04-18-2002, 07:27 PM
Fred
You're right. Model A has power cross feed & QC box. B has power cross feed but no QC. C - manual c feed & no QC.
The A is the most sought after & sells for the highest price. Another factor to consider is bed length - the shortest are 3'overall = about 16 or 17" btwn centers.
Depending on what you want to do with it, this may not matter.

Good Luck!
Herb

Whoa..hows that for timing Rob!

[This message has been edited by Herb W (edited 04-18-2002).]

flusen
04-18-2002, 10:28 PM
Thanks all for the responses. One question I forgot to ask is if the $1100.00 asking price is reasonable for what little seems to be included with the lathe.

I currently have a very much equiped Atlas 6x19 model 10100 that I will sell to help finance this acquisition. I do need something bigger.

Fred

1erful
04-18-2002, 11:28 PM
FRED: If there is any way that you can purchase the SB and not sell your 6X19 Atlas do it! I made the mistake of selling my Atlas 10X36 with the change gears when I purchased my Grizzly 12X37 in 1986. I have kicked myself many times. WALT WARREN

roberlt
04-18-2002, 11:59 PM
Fred,
If this lathe comes with chucks, and is not worn $1100.00 is not out of line. If it is worn out you have a VERY expensive anchor.
I understand that the bed can be reground however the cost is more than a new import lathe. The serial # is located on the tailstock side of the bed on the operator side. A call to SBL will tell you when it was made. If you need any (most) parts they are avalable from SBL however check prices first. (If the spindle bearings are worn expect sticker shock.
Hope this helps,

Rob

Marv
04-19-2002, 05:40 AM
I was quoted $1050 from South Bend for regrinding the ways at the factory.

If you get a lathe cheap enough that needs a regrind, why not? When you are done you will have a machine that will cut with the best in its class for the next 30 to 40 years.

Marv

flusen
04-19-2002, 07:07 AM
Marv, Rob, Warren,

Thanks for your replys. Since the lathe is 200 miles from me I am going to try and get down there this weekend and take a look at it. I will make my decision then.

Warren, as for keeping the Atlas I think I understand what you are saying. It will still be good for small parts. I think that will not be a problem only going to a 9" but I do not know. Financing and room is a problem.

Fred

hms50
04-19-2002, 12:41 PM
If the ways are worn, and the bed is not hardened, why not rescrape the ways?
hms50

flusen
04-19-2002, 12:51 PM
That would be an option. I am hoping to speak to the gentleman tonight. The answers I get from him, plus his demeaner on the phone will determine whether I drive the 400 miles to see it this weekend.

Thanks,

Fred