X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickeyf
    • Aug 2010

Way OT: "Gun safety"

Somtimes you just gotta sigh deeply and carry on...

You don't even need to read the article, just the title.

"gun_safety_teacher_accidentally_shoots_student_du ring_class"
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979
  • vpt
    • Dec 2009

A .38 bullet from a .357?
    Andy

Comment

• Highpower
      • Aug 2008

Yes. You can fire .38 special ammunition in a .357 magnum revolver - but not vice versa.
      Both use 0.357" diameter projectiles.
      Last edited by Highpower; 08-13-2013, 10:20 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

• michigan doug
        • Nov 2011

For those who have had no formal training concerning firearms, there are four inviolate rules. In order for something bad to happen, you have to break at least two rules. So if you don't break any of the rules, you're golden.

1. Assume that all guns are loaded, all the time. Period.

2. Never point the gun at anything unless you are willing to kill/destroy it/them.

3. Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to kill/destroy the target.

4. Know your target, with certainty, and what's behind the target.

Your public service announcement for the day.

doug

Comment

• _Paul_
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by michigan doug View Post
          For those who have had no formal training concerning firearms, there are four inviolate rules. In order for something bad to happen, you have to break at least two rules. So if you don't break any of the rules, you're golden.

2. Never point the gun at anything unless you are willing to kill/destroy it/them.

3. Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to kill/destroy the target.

doug
          +1

Paul

Comment

• Sun God
            • Sep 2012

If only it made the news every time a driving instructor had a car accident. Or a flying instructor crashed their aircraft (which happens alarmingly frequently).

Comment

• Jaakko Fagerlund
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sun God View Post
              If only it made the news every time a driving instructor had a car accident. Or a flying instructor crashed their aircraft (which happens alarmingly frequently).
              Or a student forgets his/her chuck key in place or the workpiece works out of the chuck.
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

• WhatTheFlux!
                • Mar 2013

doug
                I am not a "gun person" and I know these rules.

But then again I have been accused of possessing a level of common sense that far exceeds that of most people.

Comment

• Sun God
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by WhatTheFlux! View Post
                  I am not a "gun person" and I know these rules.

But then again I have been accused of possessing a level of common sense that far exceeds that of most people.
                  Would you go so far as to call it uncommon sense?

Comment

• vpt
                    • Dec 2009

Also leave the gun on safety ALL the time until ready to shoot the target! That is the one big one missing from the list.
                    Andy

Comment

• Deus Machina
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                      A .38 bullet from a .357?
                      To clarify, guns have all sorts of odd carryover nomenclature.
                      A .357 Magnum and .38 Special both use .357" bullets. The .38 Special was originally measured at the casing diameter.
                      Does not apply to old .38 S&W or the like, which actually are closer to .38".

I wish instructors that crashed or left a key in the chuck got little blurbs in the news.
                      I can't remember ever leaving a key in the chuck, but remember one of the guys in my auto tech class left a great big wrench on the brake lathe before turning it on. It actually got a good bit of speed before it came off.
                      Knocked a big chunk out of the cinderblock wall on the other side of the niche it was in. He's lucky he wasn't in the way.

Comment

• Deus Machina
                        • Feb 2011

Also leave the gun on safety ALL the time until ready to shoot the target! That is the one big one missing from the list.

Not one of the big four. Because unofficial #5 is "Never rely on the safety."
                        It's nice, but the biggest safety is following the four rules.

Comment

• jep24601
                          • Jun 2010

That doesn't make sense. My double action pistol's safety only engages in the cocked position, and then there's revolvers.
                          "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

• Sun God
                            • Sep 2012

I've fixed a dozen or so safety's over the time I spent behind the counter in a gun shop. Almost exclusively, it was only discovered they didn't work after a negligent discharge - usually into the sky, or into the dirt in front of the firing line. That was enough to teach me that there's nothing safe about a safety, and the four rules are gospel.

Comment

doug
                              Amen. First learned these in the Hunter Safety course that was required for my first hunting license. Reenforced in the military.

Actually Dad taught me these long before the HS course.

Comment

Working...
                              X