View Full Version : endmill holder?

04-15-2004, 07:39 AM
I am a total novice at this and feeling my way along. I have a small enco milling machine, desk top type and have been using it to fool around with some brass. Do I need an end mill holder?? I have been chucking the endmill directly into the chuck. I read in a book that you should be using a holder. What is the word? Any help is always appreciated. Thanks, Fred

04-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Yes, by all meams buy an end mill holder. They are not expensive (<$15)and are a more secure way of holding your end mill.

04-15-2004, 08:54 AM
You must have a collet in the spindle to hold mills, drill chucks ect. Your spindle probably is bored for R8 collets. There should be a bolt going thru the spindle and quill that screws into the collet to pull it into the spindle and hold the tool you want to use. These collets come in different sizes to hold different sized tool shanks; 1/4,3/8,1/2,3/4 ect. If you bought your machine new it should have come with some sort of booklet showing the exploded views of the machine. If you don't have this you can call Enco and request this. If the machine is not too old it should be available. I would suggest that you take a class on machining from a trade or vocational school in your area. At the very least talk to someone in a machine shop locally to get some pointers on saftey and ooperation of your machine. Remember even small mill drills are very powerful machines that can be unforgiving if used wrongly.Good Luck and Happy machining!!

04-15-2004, 10:17 AM
You can hold an end mill in a collet or in an end mill holder. Don't try to hold one in a drill chuck though -- it's not designed for that kind of side loading, and it's also likely that the chuck will eventually come loose from its tapered mounting shank.

Al Messer
04-15-2004, 04:31 PM
You can also hold one in a 3 jaw chuck when a bit of run-out doesn't matter.