PDA

View Full Version : Where are You!

atomarc
09-24-2013, 12:14 AM
This is a carryover from another forum...but many times a response to a question my be predicated on where the OP is situated. Why is it not mandatory for folks on this forum to have their location in their signature line..or whatever it's called...when Billy-Bob needs some solder for his project and someone tells him to buzz down to Radio Shack to get some, it's a drag when he informs them that he is in B.F.Egypt and there is no Radio Shack within a Camels ride in any direction. Listing his local in the first place would do away with much confusion...as least as I see it.

Stuart

dp
09-24-2013, 12:48 AM
I'm the one who's blinking.

http://www.blingcheese.com/wallpaper/view/12/penguins+wallpaper.htm

atomarc
09-24-2013, 01:14 AM
DP,

Thanks for that input...makes lots of sense to me. Just as soon keep the eyeballs shut if that's the extent of your constructive comments!

Stuart

dp
09-24-2013, 01:28 AM
No sense of humor - I answered your question and added a bit of humor. I'm in Bellevue, as you can see. This forum has never had it as a requirement to post one's location where as PM does. It is a matter of style, I suppose. The subject has come up a lot over the years and nobody's mind has changed so far as I can tell, but some very creative locations have been offered after the threads flare up. Have some popcorn and search the archives.

Mike Amick
09-24-2013, 01:48 AM
I also like it when people's profile have their location. I run a forum and in my control
panel, there is no option to force people to enter a location so that may be the case too.

If possible, I don't think it could do any harm, anybody wanting to be geographically
anonymous can put anything they want in that box. I think a lot of people don't do it
because they just hurriedly fill out the form not bothering to enter that. When called on
it they happily add this information.

And I agree .. lighten up

_Paul_
09-24-2013, 03:59 AM
On the face of it seems a good idea..... but there is a danger with letting everyone know where you live especially when you have lots of nice expensive tooling......

ptjw7uk
09-24-2013, 04:14 AM
But just putting the state is a help!
Peter

philbur
09-24-2013, 06:04 AM
Simple, don't reply to a question that is location dependent but doesn't show their location.

Phil:)

MrSleepy
09-24-2013, 06:10 AM
Its quite often noticable on many forums that threads created by non US based users attract less attention than posters who do (or imply they do) reside in the US.

I've always made my location as "51st state of America". As In the UK.... as the more xenophobic participants do not seem to know the US has only 50 states.

Rob

JoeFin
09-24-2013, 06:29 AM
On the face of it seems a good idea..... but there is a danger with letting everyone know where you live especially when you have lots of nice expensive tooling......

Actually I had a "Get-Together/BBQ" here at my house with local members of this forum. Nothing left my shop that I didn't place in their hands and tell them to keep.

And 1 of them actually became quite a good friend I've continued seeing for several years now

maxi87
09-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Stating one's locations might come in handy when asking for stores or help in general. I've seen forums where it is mandatory to specify the location but I never thought about it too much

davidwdyer
09-24-2013, 06:59 AM
I could invite everyone down for a day at the beach but, they might come!

Then what would I do?

Tilaran
09-24-2013, 07:49 AM
I live in the big city with lots of neighbors, a great homeowners assholeciation, lots of fences with armed guards, a security gate and real close to the Super Walmart and a upChuck Y Cheese..:p I'm very fortunate.:rolleyes:
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s368/Arenal_Garden/bhouz_zpsf5bec7d3.jpg

John Stevenson
09-24-2013, 07:57 AM
I'm the one who's blinking.

http://www.blingcheese.com/wallpaper/view/12/penguins+wallpaper.htm

I'm next but 4 to Dennis

flylo
09-24-2013, 09:19 AM
You're in Prison? What did you go & how lomg till parole? At least you have a room with a veiw! LOL:cool:

I live in the big city with lots of neighbors, a great homeowners assholeciation, lots of fences with armed guards, a security gate and real close to the Super Walmart and a upChuck Y Cheese..:p I'm very fortunate.:rolleyes:
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s368/Arenal_Garden/bhouz_zpsf5bec7d3.jpg

rode2rouen
09-24-2013, 12:23 PM
I've always made my location as "51st state of America". As In the UK....

Rob

Well, I learned something new today!
When I saw "51st State", I figured you meant you lived in Puerto Rico.

Rex

jep24601
09-24-2013, 12:30 PM
.....I've always made my location as "51st state of America". As In the UK.... as the more xenophobic participants do not seem to know the US has only 50 states.

No, the 51st state is without a doubt Canada.

MrSleepy
09-24-2013, 12:50 PM

No...its definately England.

We even have a Samuel L Jackson tribute documentary. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_51st_State

Rob

lakeside53
09-24-2013, 12:55 PM
No, it's Puerto Rico, or maybe Florida. lately it's hard to tell the difference.

_Paul_
09-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Stating one's locations might come in handy when asking for stores or help in general. I've seen forums where it is mandatory to specify the location but I never thought about it too much

My good friend Jeff Preece has a saying "A friend in need......is a pain in the arse" lol

bborr01
09-24-2013, 03:27 PM
This subject comes up about once a year or so. It also doesn't seem likely to change to where you have to put a location in to be able to participate. Even a general location is helpful. I have met a few members by having my location in my profile. I recommend it.

Brian

Baz
09-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Well the US can have Grimsby as a 51st state - we won't miss it. :)
Sorry to see some of you are in hospital, well location seems to be "Ill".

John Stevenson
09-24-2013, 04:55 PM
I thought the 51st state was Mexico ?

The Artful Bodger
09-24-2013, 04:59 PM
I thought the 51st state was Mexico ?

They Skippies would not like to hear that as they think Oz is the 52st state.

Tilaran
09-25-2013, 04:30 AM
You're in Prison? What did you go & how lomg till parole? At least you have a room with a veiw! LOL:cool:
I can never be eligible for parole. I'm stuck !

masimec
09-25-2013, 05:14 AM
Just a try if it works! Now you have my location....far away from united states..;)

EVguru
09-25-2013, 05:21 AM
I can kind of understand why people don't mention their location when asking for advice. It often simply hasn't occoured to them that their location might affect the solution. However I often see people selling things on other forums and negelct to give a location. Fine if it's something you can post, but it really makes a difference if you're selling a car for example!

mike4
09-25-2013, 06:06 AM
I dont mind giving my location , if the visitors are here on normal business and with me the Mutts wont try to eat them .
Unwanted after hours intrusions will face a couple of sets of fangs, they bite first then ask questions.

Then the "visitor " has to deal with me and I can be unfriendly when it comes to people who take whats mine.
Michael

Ridgerunner
09-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Well, that did it! I'm leaving this country......I'm going to Chicago.

BigMike782
09-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Folks most times can't find me when I want them to so I doubt I will be found by putting a clue to the town I live in and if they figure out its Niles Michigan then they just have to find me among the 40,000 or more in Niles.

Rosco-P
09-25-2013, 11:24 AM

Actually I had a "Get-Together/BBQ" here at my house with local members of this forum. Nothing left my shop that I didn't place in their hands and tell them to keep.

And 1 of them actually became quite a good friend I've continued seeing for several years now

Steal your tooling? That's just a little paranoid. Doubt that any thieves are trolling this type of board. More likely a thief would go after your cell, your tablet computer, money, jewels, plasma TV, but not your jeweled Interapid indicator.

Would posting your city (if it's a large one), your state or just your geographic region really expose you to danger? Before you jump in my sh!t, yes I have a little anonymity as I was being stalked and harassed by someone I exposed as a fraud.

MichaelP
09-25-2013, 11:52 AM
...I have a little anonymity as I was being stalked and harassed by someone I exposed as a fraud.You've just blown your cover by revealing it. ;)

garagemark
09-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Even though I haven't posted for quite some time, I had forgotten to update my profile from moving. So... if I HAD posted, you all would have given me bad advice, since nothing in West Virginia is the same as it is in Northwest Indiana. But I have changed it now so I can get the best information possible. I am so relieved that this was brought to my attention.

Oh, and did I mention that I now work in a steel mill that produces round and hex stock of almost every size and carbon grade, including leaded? I am in heaven (or will be when my shop tools are delivered. They are on a moving van coming this way).

Rosco-P
09-25-2013, 12:13 PM
You've just blown your cover by revealing it. ;)

Great!

Excuse me, gotta go. There are two big men in black suits, black hats and sunglasses at my door. Others are deploying in the yard. They arrived in a black GMC Tahoe with no tags.
Nice knowing y'all.

dp
09-25-2013, 12:23 PM
It isn't hard to find the location of a shop from an on-line photo if that photo has embedded location info. Here is an example of a free online site and information it found in a photo I found on Wikitedia:

http://regex.info/exif.cgi?dummy=on&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikiped ia%2Fcommons%2Fd%2Fdb%2FGPS_location_stamped_with_ GPStamper.jpg

Tilaran
09-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Yeah. Those 20 million illegal Canuks in the US verify that fact. Hasta luego y pase buene noche hermano

MaxHeadRoom
09-25-2013, 05:00 PM

..Maybe, But fortunately not yet a requirement to carry side arms!
Max.