PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian lathes

97r82
09-30-2013, 10:23 PM
A Sebastian lathe followed me home the other day. I haven't learned much about the lathe. A few guys responded to my PM's with a little info. It's a 16" x 72". Has a 6 hp motor. serial # K5099R. A aluminum tag on the headstock is stamped 49 which I assume is 1949 build date? Just looking for a someone else with the same or similar machine to compare notes. I see no major issues other than a couple of broken handles on main motor engage lever and its dirty. This is a solid old machine with lots of potential. Thanks in advance for any help.
thanks
jesse

flylo
09-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I sent you info on lathes.co.UK that had info on them, any help?

Toolguy
09-30-2013, 10:42 PM
My first lathe was a 12 x 36 (I think) Sebastian. It was a really good machine. I don't remember a lot about it but I do know it was accurate and solid. My only problem with it was the slow rpms. It was the same speeds as Logan, South Bend, Atlas or any other from that era. I only sold it to get something newer that would spin up faster.

97r82
09-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks Flylo
No they do not have much on the later gearhead Sebastians. A little info on Gold Seals. Apparently this is one of the last true Sebastians made by Sheldon before they made a Sheldon/Sebastian lathe.
thanks

97r82
09-30-2013, 11:56 PM
This one is bigger. 16 x 72. Yes it has limited speed but we have a 12" Logan Powermatic for smaller parts. This will replace our 16" SB conehead lathe. Good to hear your first lathe was a good one.

thanks
jesse

RussZHC
10-01-2013, 01:21 AM
YMMV but there have been one or two sellers on EBay listing Sebastian lathe manuals...took a really quick look but could only find the war lathe advertisements...

J Tiers
10-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Those production lathe Sebastians look like nice machines.

There are a lot of little-known brands with good heavy-duty machines. Sebastian, Springfield, and many others. If you can move them, often much cheaper and you get more than with the hobby-type Atlas and Southbend.

97r82
10-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Those production lathe Sebastians look like nice machines.

There are a lot of little-known brands with good heavy-duty machines. Sebastian, Springfield, and many others. If you can move them, often much cheaper and you get more than with the hobby-type Atlas and Southbend.

This is a quality piece of history. I have a farm shop at home so the bigger stuff suits my needs anyway. No problem moving something this size. We have a smaller lathe also so it works out good. Cleaning the lathe and working on a bigger phase converter to power it up. The SB has a 3 hp motor so that VFD won't work. Plan is to sell the 16" conehead SB and buy what we need. In the meantime cleaning away and searching for a few answers. The machine is in very good shape. I just like to know as much about my machines as possible before tackling issues.

thanks
jesse

mickeyf
10-01-2013, 09:09 PM
I had a Sebastian 12" about a dozen years ago. I wrote to the company asking about parts, which were actually available. Had to sell it when moving, but enjoyed it until then.

97r82
10-01-2013, 10:30 PM
I had a Sebastian 12" about a dozen years ago. I wrote to the company asking about parts, which were actually available. Had to sell it when moving, but enjoyed it until then.
cool
sorry you had to part with it. Did you upgrade later after the move?