PDA

View Full Version : soda syphon

darryl
10-02-2013, 11:37 PM
I have what by all accounts appears to be a soda syphon. Never heard of this before, but basically it's a tank with a nozzle, a 'trigger', and a charging port. The port appears to be just large enough that you could fit a co2 cartridge into a holder and screw it on. While trying to discover what this thing is, I watched a video showing the basics of using it.

I have no wish to dispense whipped cream or make soda water, but I would like to use it for something. Any ideas?

EVguru
10-03-2013, 04:17 AM
Slapstick?

+ or - Zero
10-03-2013, 05:41 AM
In 1767, the first drinkable man made glass of carbonated water (soda water) was invented by Joseph Priestley.

Followed closely by the only true use for the soda siphon: Scotch & soda.

Be retro, but use good scotch.

Zero.

Euph0ny
10-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Be retro, but use good scotch.

Go two better, drink Irish whiskey with still water, and keep your soda siphon flask for something useful. It might make a good basis for a rifle sound moderator (silencer), with a bit of machining?

isaac338
10-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Sounds like you've got a ready-made cracker - perhaps you can dabble with whippets?

TheAndroid
10-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Slapstick?

Clown Defense!

Weston Bye
10-03-2013, 12:07 PM
...but I would like to use it for something..

Fire extinguisher?

huntinguy
10-03-2013, 02:16 PM
IIRC: They use a shorter version of the CO2 cartridge. Some of the old CO2 pistols use them too. Eight grams, I believe, instead of the 12 that are so prevalent now.

Baz
10-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Fine spray mist coolant? or flood coolant but but would need refilling often.

boslab
10-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Fancy putting nasty stuff with whiskey, sacrilege, high powered enema, cat scarer, power paintbrush, milk dispenser for frothy coffee, i need to stop as the ideas are getting too bizzare to write
Mark

darryl
10-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Hey, I like the coolant mister idea. If I make a nozzle that's adjustable, I could set the pattern and volume to what I want, then just use the trigger as an on and off. Pressurize with air. Looks like it would hold about a liter.

MichaelP
10-04-2013, 09:41 PM
I remember how I liked recharging this kind of syphons and drinking soda when I was a kid. Time flies...

I still do it, but with a different type of machine*.

__________________________________________________ ___
*No, it has nothing to do with passing gas in case you want to call me an old fart.

macona
10-04-2013, 11:59 PM
You have one of the soda streams? I think my parents bought one.

darryl
10-05-2013, 12:29 AM
There is not a single marking on this at all to identify it. Have no idea who made it.

Today I had another, possibly practical idea. I could use it as a wood glue dispenser. I'm starting to get splints in my thumb from squeezing the glue bottle, so I could use a break from that.

Jon Heron
10-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Go by a pack or 10 of the nitrous oxide whip cream chargers and do some whippets! AKA hippy crack! AKA laughing gas! Thats what I bought mine for 25 years ago lol
:p
Cheers,
Jon

darryl
10-05-2013, 05:13 PM
I saw some hippie crack just a few minutes ago on my way home. She gave me a peace sign as I waited for her to cross the crosswalk.

No wait- that's not hippie crack, that's new-age crack, where the top of the jeans doesn't come much above the knees-

MichaelP
10-05-2013, 05:47 PM
You have one of the soda streams? I think my parents bought one.Yep. I have three and like them very much.

vincemulhollon
10-06-2013, 07:39 AM
I have no wish to dispense whipped cream

Whipped cutting oil for cutting threads? I'm not kidding either, if you're truly planning of disposing of it, then "for science" you should see if you can create whipped cutting oil. Might work, might turn into a disaster, who knows.

If you have the filtration gear I bet with a little emulsifier to help you could whip bacon grease, which would make both an interesting tapping compound and a pancake topping (although not both at the same time).

I've also occasionally wondered about carbonated coolant, I think in theory it should work very well because the bubbles would boil away chips, although the cost of carbonating that much coolant would get annoying, or you'd have to work on really small stuff. I'm not talking about using diet coke as a carbonated coolant (the phosphoric will ruin your work/lathe) but plain old metalworking coolant.