PDA

View Full Version : old rusty as heck millling machine vice - gray or ductile iron?

Chrisnj
10-04-2013, 11:10 AM
I want to smash it up and melt it :)

Please tell me it's gray iron.

Alistair Hosie
10-04-2013, 01:00 PM
how will we know if we can't see itLOL although it sounds like grey iron when you listen to the computer Alistair?

MotorradMike
10-04-2013, 04:36 PM
I can't hear anything but it smells pretty rusty.

doctor demo
10-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Please tell me it's gray iron.
OK it's grey iron.

Steve

madokie
10-05-2013, 01:04 AM
too hard to do ,its tough stuff if for a mill, just pull off steel parts and scrap rest. 9-10 cents a # here in USA.i always save the really good steel instead of scrapping it, you can eventually make something of it, and it wont loose value even if it rusts.

70Chrgr
10-05-2013, 10:44 AM
I would suggest that you take a cut with an end mill and compare the chips to those from a known gray iron. With the same feed,speed and depth of cut, ductile iron will show a much longer, "stringier" chip.

+ or - Zero
10-05-2013, 02:10 PM
You plan to break it anyway, so if it's grey, it will look dark grey, because of the flake microstructure. Ductile will have a much lighter color.

Also, grey is brittle so a failure point will show no deformation, but the ductile iron fracture will show that it deformed before breaking.

Zero.

lazlo
10-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Also, grey is brittle so a failure point will show no deformation, but the ductile iron fracture will show that it deformed before breaking.

Grey damps vibration really well, but is brittle. Ductile is about twice as strong as grey, but doesn't damp. Good quality vises (Kurt, Yuasa, Bridgeport, ...) are made from ductile. If it's an Asian or Indian vise, it's whatever they could shove into the furnace :)