PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Password Reset message

aostling
10-06-2013, 08:16 PM
I got an email, apparently from Adobe, stating that their network has been breached by a hacker who "may have obtained access to your Adobe ID and encrypted password." My password has been reset, they say, so they supply a link to change it to a new password.

I'm not aware of ever having a password with Adobe. Should I just ignore this?

WhatTheFlux!
10-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Yes.

This is just the latest variation on the classic phishing scam.

Video Man
10-06-2013, 08:26 PM
The Adobe breach is for real (explanation: I'm a Photoshop and Premiere professional) but that doesn't mean that hackers couldn't take advantage of the situation and send out false messages looking like the real Adobe notification. If you have an Adobe account you can go directly to your account and it will tell you to change your password when you try to log in. I generally never go anywhere from a link sent as email, just to be safe.

dp
10-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Definitely not a scam. Several of the sites I host have been advised, and I've also received the same. Adobe's home page has the explanation.

aostling
10-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Definitely not a scam.

Thanks to you both.

I have Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Reader, but no passwords on those applications. I guess I can still ignore the message, and take no action.

ulav8r
10-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Guess I'm completely safe. Don't have an Adobe account, so no password.

danlb
10-06-2013, 09:42 PM
While there may be a need to reset your password, always assume that the email is a scam. If you are really good with email you can look at the raw email headers to verify where it came from.

DO NOT CLICK LINKS IN ANY UNSOLICITED EMAIL.

Go directly to the home page of the site if you have an account there and use that to change the password.

Dan

aostling
10-06-2013, 09:50 PM

Dan

The email ostensibly from Adobe did have a link. I'm glad I did not click it.

[edit] I was wrong. It looked like a link because it was in bold, but it was not a link.

dp
10-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks to you both.

I have Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Reader, but no passwords on those applications. I guess I can still ignore the message, and take no action.

Lightroom comes with free upgrades you can take advantage of but it does require an Adobe account. That is an excellent tool, BTW.

WhatTheFlux!
10-06-2013, 10:19 PM

Dan

Repeat for great justice. I am honestly quite surprised that anyone on this forum would be unaware of this sort of hack-scam.

So for those of you just learning about it now, one of the most common identity-theft attacks comes in the form of an unsolicited email looking like an Official Email from a bank. Maybe your bank... Insurance companies, Microsoft, other software companies, scary sounding Government agencies, lawyers...

In the future, never ever respond to an email of this nature no matter how official it looks. No matter what. My bank, most of my registered software, and my insurance folks all have the same warning: If there is a problem with your account you will be notified by a phone-call or when you log in. They will NEVER attempt to contact you asking for personal information by email. EVER.

What I suspect is the same group that hacked Adobe also sent out this email. People are hearing about the Adobe hack and think "Ah ok Adobe is contacting me in regards..." Now the hackers have the rest of your information and now you're *ucked.

So to repeat... never respond to an email of this sort. You'll be sorry.

(cue at least two people claiming contrary, spool up the argument turbine, grab your hat and kiss your butt good bye! :D )

aostling
10-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Lightroom comes with free upgrades you can take advantage of but it does require an Adobe account. That is an excellent tool, BTW.

Lightroom is amazing. I'm ready to upgrade to LR5 but I will wait until I get a new Mac (Mini, or Macbook?) after Mavericks debuts in a month or two.

I now think I probably did have an Adobe password which I registered when I bought LR3 and then LR4 online. I've reset that now so hopefully all is well.

dp
10-06-2013, 10:32 PM
(cue at least two people claiming contrary, spool up the argument turbine, grab your hat and kiss your butt good bye! :D )

I re-read the entire thread and nobody is recommending clicking links in email. This notification was sent from Adobe though others may also be sending them (I haven't seen aostling's mail, but I have analyzed several from my customers since I own and run the mail servers, and there is no doubt the mail came from Adobe servers. I'm an ISP). I am surprised that Adobe sent out the mass mailing that includes a clickable link. It just encourages bad behavior and wasn't necessary.

aostling
10-06-2013, 11:15 PM
I am surprised that Adobe sent out the mass mailing that includes a clickable link. It just encourages bad behavior and wasn't necessary.

See my edit to reply #8. I don't think it was a clickable link. But I didn't chance it to find out.

WhatTheFlux!
10-07-2013, 12:18 AM
I re-read the entire thread and nobody is recommending clicking links in email. This notification was sent from Adobe though others may also be sending them (I haven't seen aostling's mail, but I have analyzed several from my customers since I own and run the mail servers, and there is no doubt the mail came from Adobe servers. I'm an ISP). I am surprised that Adobe sent out the mass mailing that includes a clickable link. It just encourages bad behavior and wasn't necessary.

Ok I believe YOU, Adobe should know better. This is a common scam/attack tactic and anyone who's been online longer than a day should know NOT to trust any unsolicited email no matter how official.

dp
10-07-2013, 12:21 AM
See my edit to reply #8. I don't think it was a clickable link. But I didn't chance it to find out.

Sorry - the conversation is multifaceted. The email one of my customers sent me had a link in it. It was to Adobe but to a general information page. The URL included to this specific problem was not a hotlink as you say.

I went off to Youtube to see what is new in Lightroom 5 and dammit, I swore when they went to the new licensing model I wouldn't be their customer anymore, but damn that has some nice features!

dp
10-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Ok I believe YOU, Adobe should know better. This is a common scam/attack tactic and anyone who's been online longer than a day should know NOT to trust any unsolicited email no matter how official.

'k - thought I'd missed something in the thread. I've been an email professional (is there such a thing?) since the 1980s and nothing surprises me about what scammers are capable of doing. Their success rate isn't high but there's surely money to be made because there's so many in the game. Barnum and Bailey got it right.

aostling
10-07-2013, 12:55 AM
I went off to Youtube to see what is new in Lightroom 5 and dammit, I swore when they went to the new licensing model I wouldn't be their customer anymore, but damn that has some nice features!

Perhaps you are referring to the new Creative Cloud version of Photoshop, which has a monthly rental fee. I have no use for Photoshop. Lightroom 5 is fortunately still available under the old plan where you own the software.

dp
10-07-2013, 01:02 AM
I have the full suite plus LR4. The suite is now in the creative cloud. Good to know that LR is not sucked in to that. I'll check out the upgrade options. I really do like Lightroom.