PDA

View Full Version : pet peeves?

Tony
10-07-2013, 01:12 PM
know what really grinds my gears? putting the BP in low gear :) just kidding.
bought a new hammer.. 300 gram (10.5oz) cross peen .. square face, I really like the size..

anyway what frikk'n glue do they use to put (UPC!) stickers *right onto* products? this was on
the wood handle and now its all gummy / sticky / snotty right where my hand falls.

wood handle so i just scraped it clean with a razor.. have a little bald spot there, but no big
deal, just a handle.. but I've had this happen (all the time) on higher end stuff.. nice chisels
or wood plane handles.. not to mention host of other tools and/or electronics.

yeah I know, if this is what i've got to complain about I've got it good .. but dang they couldn't
use better (easier) glue?

just venting
Tony

EVguru
10-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Removing labels is one of the very few things I actually use WD40 for.

Dr Stan
10-07-2013, 01:25 PM
but dang they couldn't use better (easier) glue?Tony

Tony,

Its a theft deterrent measure. Too many people have taken the UPC sticker off a cheap product and put it on an expensive one before going through the check-out. Thus stronger glue.

Stan

PJRitz
10-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Try the citrus based Goo-Gone, it works great for removing that sticker residue without damaging surfaces.

A.K. Boomer
10-07-2013, 04:05 PM
brake cleaner.

Toolguy
10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Goop hand cleaner too.

Gunney
10-07-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm with EVguru. That is about the only thing I use WD40 for, that and initial cleaning of greasy, oily parts. Adhesive stickers are one of my pet peeves, also. They even put the damn things on fruit! Buy and apple and you've gotta peel the damn sticker off of it. A related peeve of mine is the indestructible, un-openable packaging they put some stuff in these days.

bborr01
10-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Stickers on steel bar stock from the steel suppliers is the worst. I finally figured out that instead of using a putty knife to slowly try to push the sticker off, I could hit it at a fairly good speed it would come right off. I think I was using denatured alcohol to clean off the adhesive.

Brian

mklotz
10-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Naphtha (lighter fluid) works well on most labels. Of course, Kalifornia has decided that naphtha is bad for something and banned its sale. But all the Sacramento fruits are camping nuts so they haven't yet (to my knowledge) banned Coleman camping fuel and it's mostly naphtha (or something with remarkably similar properties).

sasquatch
10-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Pet Peeve? Going to get a product and the instructions are on the label, and the store guy/girl doing the pricing, puts the price sticker right over the instructions!

Frank K
10-08-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm with EVguru. That is about the only thing I use WD40 for, that and initial cleaning of greasy, oily parts. Adhesive stickers are one of my pet peeves, also. They even put the damn things on fruit! Buy and apple and you've gotta peel the damn sticker off of it. A related peeve of mine is the indestructible, un-openable packaging they put some stuff in these days.

Actually, the labels on fruit are edible. If it doesn't come off when I wash the fruit I just eat it. Added benefit - more fiber.

J Harp
10-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Goof-Off will definitely take the glue off, it will also take most finishes off, so be careful where you use it.

lynnl
10-08-2013, 12:19 PM
This has probably raised the ire of everyone who's ever bought an item.
Years ago we bought each young daughter a pair of sunglasses. By the time I got the stick-on label off, the lens on one eye was ruined.

Within the last year or so I got a small spray can of stuff from Harbor Freight that works great for dissolving every such adhesive I've encountered. Can't recall the exact name, but that's its intended purpose. I think vaseline works pretty good for most.

914Wilhelm
10-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Actually, the labels on fruit are edible. If it doesn't come off when I wash the fruit I just eat it. Added benefit - more fiber.

Don't know but I might be onto something here..........
A woman goes to the hospital. "What seems to be the problem?" asked the Doctor. "Something is all wrong. I keep finding postage stamps from Costa Rica in my vagina."

The Doctor had a look, chuckled and said, "Those aren't postage stamps, my dear, they're the stickers off the bananas."

mike4
10-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Plastic packaging which is thick and has to be cut off before you can use the tool which you purchased , and anti tamper packaging on common items which are in supermarkets .

Michael

Tilaran
10-08-2013, 06:27 PM
I make the idiots remove the stickers before I pay. You oughta see the dolts scatter trying to figure it out !
"Cash or card sir". Neither... until the stickers disappear. Yupp. When I pay $500 plus for a gas powered machine you better fire it up and let me take it home with a full tank of gas.OLD school.

vpt
10-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Pretty much any flammable liquid will take the goo off.

sasquatch
10-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Ok, another pet peeve i have along with many others, is that WHY just before a LONG weekend comes up, gasoline prices jump up to as high as 60 cents a gallon more!!

Then about 3 days later the price flutters gradualy back down.

Doozer
10-08-2013, 08:10 PM
I make the idiots remove the stickers before I pay. You oughta see the dolts scatter trying to figure it out !
"Cash or card sir". Neither... until the stickers disappear. Yupp. When I pay $500 plus for a gas powered machine you better fire it up and let me take it home with a full tank of gas.OLD school.

Excellent. Another good reason to buy a lawn mower or a tractor at a local equipment dealer and NOT a big box store.

--Doozer

Mcostello
10-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Peanut Butter and Mayo(supposedly) work to remove labels also, just not fast.