PDA

View Full Version : CAD blocks of machines for purposes of floor planning

jmarkwolf
10-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Can someone direct me to AutoCad compatible 2D "blocks" of machines, band saws, drill presses, disc sanders, lathes, etc, etc. I may be able to have some guys at work convert 3D models if need be.

I've found numerous repositories of other blocks (people, cars, architectural items) but have found no machines.

I do have a block of a Bridgeport if anyone wants it.

Jaakko Fagerlund
10-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Dang, I would have had those a couple of years back, but no back-up exists of them :(

Might I suggest a quite easy solution? Pencil, paper, ruler and sciccors. Have planned couple of places by that, just scaled every dimension to sensible size, like so that one A4 is approximately room/house size and then cut all the big pieces out of separate paper and labeled them. Easy to move around on the paper, do sketches and discuss various options and ideas with others :)

maweis
10-09-2013, 03:41 PM
the web site for Grizzly industrial (tools) had a worksheet for doing shop layouts for their various machines

Thomas Staubo
10-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Here it is:
http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner

JoeBean
10-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but this reminded me of my highschool shop teacher, who was a great laugh but a bit flakey ("ex"-heavy stoner).

To give you an idea of his type of thinking, he was the kind of guy who used to order in new machinery for the school, then when it got in bring his old clapped-out crap down from his home shop and swap it out for the new equipment. He thought it would go to waste letting students use it.

He also used to build canoes in his basement. First time he built one and didn't have enough room to get it out, so he cut it in half and glued it back together outside. It sank immediately when it hit the water. So he proceeded to build another canoe in the same basement, forgetting about the problem! He ended up having to take walls down and a window out and cut out part of an exterior wall to get it out.

Anyway... That's another story. But what this reminded me of was this one week in school when he wouldn't even teach - he was completely enraptured by something he was working on at his desk. So eventually after several days I went up to check out what he was doing and saw he had a Sears catalog opened up to one of those staged photos of a shop crammed with various tools with the prices of everything listed on the side, and a tablet of graph paper. So I asked him what he was doing. He says he's got like 3/4 of the stuff on that page at home and he wanted to build a new wood workshop "the proper way", the way the picture shows it, so he was trying to determine the dimensions of the layout so he could copy it exactly.

J Tiers
10-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Honestly, by the time you find these "blocks", you could have measured your stuff and created "blocks"* in autocad for yourself. It isn't hard at all, and probably would help your Autocad skills if you are a bit rusty on it..

You could add to them a "worker" space in front suitable for your own convenience, and have a totally personalized/customized set of layout tools.

* For those who don't use Autocad, a "block" is a sub-drawing that is "locked", so it won't change unless you edit it, and can be moved around as a "part".

If something is not a "block" then each of the lines, circles, etc that is part of it is a separate "item", and to move the whole thing you must individually select all the items that are a part of it, and move them as a group. With a block, you can select it by simply pointing at any part of it, and the whole thing acts as a single item.

Obviously, a block is much easier for any item that will be moved, such as a machine outline used to figure out alternatives for a shop layout.

Stepside
10-10-2013, 08:43 AM
If you need the shape of the machines involved to help "sell" your ideas, then you need to measure the machines and create a block that looks like the machine'

If you are using the "block" to layout a facility a cube that encloses the machine and needed worker space might be of more value. As it would be 3 dimensional it would account for needed ceiling height as well.

With AutoCad blocks you should be able to give the blocks a name and also add attributes such as power requirements, compressed air, ventilation
machine weight ect.

George Bulliss
10-10-2013, 09:16 AM
Just be sure to make the blocks the same scale as your drawing!

Worked at a place where the maintenance foreman made the mistake of drawing the machine blocks (big plastic injection presses) in half the scale as he was using for our new addition. The mistake wasn't discovered until the machines were delivered. Not sure how the mistake was missed for that long, as the maintenance guy wasn't around afterwards long enough to ask!

lakeside53
10-10-2013, 11:23 AM
More important than an actual machine drawing/block, the working limits of the tables, access to rear or other panels, and operator working zone should be included/added.

Stepside
10-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Lakeside53 Did a good job of claifying what I was trying to say.