PDA

View Full Version : Weight Question On Old Lathe

Shenandoah
10-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Hi folks, I'm new here so please be gentle :)

I have to load and move an older lathe that I believe is like the Jet 1340 in the picture from this website. My question is if anybody knows the weight of the lathe as I'm guessing it to be in the 2200# range but a more accurate figure would help.

http://www.vannattabros.com/shop9.html

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

KiddZimaHater
10-10-2013, 05:10 PM
The GRIZZLY 13x40 lathe, (Basically the same make/model) gives a weight of 1320 Lbs.
13x40 specs Link: 13x40 Lathe Specs (http://cdn0.grizzly.com/specsheets/g9036_ds.pdf)

tmc_31
10-10-2013, 05:21 PM
I have a newer GHB1340A Jet lathe that weighs 1154lb. When you add another 119lb for the cabinet, you are pushing 1300lb. Jet also offers the GH-1340W that weighs in at 2081lb.

Tim

Shenandoah
10-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Thanks Kidd.

My concern with using the Grizzly as a comp for that older lathe is the newer lathes generally don't have the bulk that was found in some older lathes. But being that the older Jets probably were junk to begin with they may weigh less than my original guess which is an educated guess based on what little I could find out about these old lathe looking on the web.

I do believe the castings on this old lathe are in fact a bit beefier than the Grizzly if nothing else due to the fact that steel was cheep back then and newer machines have the benefits of FEA and decent engineering to remove weight where it isn't needed.

tmc_31
10-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks Kidd.

... But being that the older Jets probably were junk to begin with they may weigh less than my original guess which is an educated guess based on what little I could find out about these old lathe looking on the web.

Easy boy, I have had my lathe for 5 years now, used it quite a bit. It is hardly junk. (although a lot others seem to share your opinion). I believe the earlier Jets like the one shown in the picture were made in Taiwan and it's been said that they are better than the current crop.

Tim

Mike Amick
10-10-2013, 05:36 PM
We can't possible tell how much it weighs unless we know where you are from ..

Add it to your profile ..

ok .. ok .. maybe thats not true .. just sayin 8-)

Shenandoah
10-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Sorry Tim, didn't mean to offend anyone. My apologies. But reading through the threads here...

I think the 2081# weight is closer to what my guess is for the 1340. I guess I'll find out when I show up to move it.

And I will admit as an old tool and die maker who started on lathes and mills in 1966 I may be overly opinionated about tolerances and finishes machines can produce. Consider that a defect...:)

Shenandoah
10-10-2013, 05:37 PM
We can't possible tell how much it weighs unless we know where you are from ..

Thanks Mike, you made my day. :)