PDA

View Full Version : Warships visit New Zealand...

The Artful Bodger
10-10-2013, 07:14 PM
... but not the US Navy.

China had said the ships were not nuclear powered and carried no nuclear weapons.

Key said he welcomed foreign ship visits as long as they met the requirements of New Zealand's law.

"If the Americans want to be in that position they would be more than welcome in a heartbeat."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9269773/Chinese-warships-due-in-Auckland

boslab
10-10-2013, 07:30 PM
I heard Welsh ships carrying sheep werent welcome either! Not even Diesel ones lol
Mark

The Artful Bodger
10-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Welsh sheep are no good for our virgin wool industry!;)

GEP
10-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Our American ships are on the way to take care of the China outdated tin cans

jim davies
10-10-2013, 09:32 PM
I remember when NZ's anti-nuclear policy was adopted, and although I am a heck of a long way away from NZ, I shuddered at the thought and felt that the authors of that policy had surely never learned of those horrible days of early WW2 when EVERYONE became aware of just how far away and isolated the three main islands [including that big one to the west...] of NZ were and how small was the list of Allied assets which might be able to come to their aid. The Kiwis and Aussies were among the best of the Empire's fighting men but the cards were all against them. Too few men and too many responsibilities and dangers. And way too much Ocean. What has changed since then?

If I was a Kiwi I would keep my enemies close but my friends closer, and Uncle Sam is the best friend they'll likely ever have.

The Artful Bodger
10-10-2013, 09:49 PM
New Zealand learned in 1985 that we had no friends which was maybe not what we would have chosen but thats the way it is.

Dr Stan
10-10-2013, 10:37 PM
New Zealand learned in 1985 that we had no friends which was maybe not what we would have chosen but thats the way it is.

What happened in 1985?

On edit: Were you referring to this? http://christchurchcitylibraries.com/Kids/NZDisasters/RainbowWarrior.asp

The Artful Bodger
10-10-2013, 10:42 PM
French government terrorists blew up a ship in down town Auckland with loss of life. Now you may not know that hundreds (thousands?) of young people have died fighting for the defence of France but all our other "friends" sided with the terrorists, either overtly or covertly. Now we know who are friends are.

Dr Stan
10-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Artful, PM sent.

Paul Alciatore
10-10-2013, 11:16 PM
I looked it up. If anybody is interested, here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_Rainbow_Warrior

I imagine this thread will be closed in the morning.

I will just say that I would not put too much trust in the Chinese.

wierdscience
10-10-2013, 11:18 PM
So New Zealand decided you didn't want nuke anything parking in your ports.Okay,fine we stayed home and told you to do the same.

Now all these years later we have allowed NZ ships to dock in our ports again,and we still really don't care if we ever dock in New Zealand again.

So what's the big deal????

jkilroy
10-11-2013, 12:50 AM
I can't think of anything afloat that might cause more pollution than a fleet of Chinese naval ships. From an economic standpoint, the desire to not have someone like the American pacific fleet make a visit just because the aircraft carriers have nuclear power is just brain dead.

The Artful Bodger
10-11-2013, 12:52 AM
So New Zealand decided you didn't want nuke anything parking in your ports.Okay,fine we stayed home and told you to do the same.

No, you spat the dummy and chose to destroy a long standing relationship. NZ never intended to take nuclear power or nuclear weapons into any US ports.

Now all these years later we have allowed NZ ships to dock in our ports again,and we still really don't care if we ever dock in New Zealand again.

So what's the big deal???? Did you read the article I linked to?

The Artful Bodger
10-11-2013, 12:54 AM
From an economic standpoint, the desire to not have someone like the American pacific fleet make a visit just because the aircraft carriers have nuclear power is just brain dead.

Brain dead or not that is our call and real friends would respect that without question.

doctor demo
10-11-2013, 01:52 AM
Brain dead or not that is our call and real friends would respect that without question.
NO, Sir You are WRONG! Real Friends don't let Friends Drink&Drive....or Text&Drive.

There, I said it and I'm not ashamed.

So before this thread gets locked, why would any Country want a foreign Navy to come "hang out" in one of it"s ports? Unless it was for defensive help to keep another "not so friendly ship" out. If that were the case I can't think of a better choice than the US Navy, nuclear or not. If push were to come to shove, and the call for help was placed I"d bet that nuclear restriction might get lifted.

For the record, I am not in the Navy, never was, I don't have an axe to grind with New Zealand, never did, and I don't own any nuclear reactors, I don't own any ships either.

Steve

aostling
10-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Let's not forget the "Battle of Manners Street" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Manners_Street. I wonder if the enmity goes back even further.

Yow Ling
10-11-2013, 02:01 AM
I can't think of anything afloat that might cause more pollution than a fleet of Chinese naval ships. From an economic standpoint, the desire to not have someone like the American pacific fleet make a visit just because the aircraft carriers have nuclear power is just brain dead.

What about an oil rig in gulf of mexico ? Or Exxon Valdez But you may be right neither of these are still afloat

The Artful Bodger
10-11-2013, 02:29 AM
Let's not forget the "Battle of Manners Street" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Manners_Street. I wonder if the enmity goes back even further.

Some of the American servicemen from the American South in the Services Club objected to Māori soldiers also using the Club, and on 3 April 1943 began stopping Māori soldiers from entering. More disrespect being shown?

The Artful Bodger
10-11-2013, 02:32 AM
. If push were to come to shove, and the call for help was placed I"d bet that nuclear restriction might get lifted.

True, true, in fact when NZ found ourselves at war with a world power America rushed to the rescue, arriving 2 years, 3 months and 5 days later.

Tilaran
10-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Our American ships are on the way to take care of the China outdated tin cans :rolleyes::rolleyes:. But you're out of money and guys on camels are kickin' yer aspz with nails, rocks and pressure cookers.http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7384/10203441883_f25e9fa534_o.gif