PDA

View Full Version : first post after illness

dhammer
10-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post after I suffered a stroke. It has been a long way back, I'm just starting to use tools again. I'm using woodworking tools and eyeing my lathe and mill gathering dust. When your brain doesn't work like it used to everything is different.

Thanks for your patience.

Steve

Weston Bye
10-13-2013, 07:04 AM
Wow, puts in perspective those of us whining about flu shots and x-rays. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery, dhammer. Take care.

Tilaran
10-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post after I suffered a stroke. It has been a long way back, I'm just starting to use tools again. I'm using woodworking tools and eyeing my lathe and mill gathering dust. When your brain doesn't work like it used to everything is different.

Steve
Sorry to hear that man. I had one a couple years back. Mine wasn't too bad, I suppose. No feeling in my left foot(easy loss of balance), numb in 3 of my left fingers(they work fine) and 90 % loss of sight in one eye. Watch those triglycerides.
Keep fighting.

flylo
10-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Glad your getting better, my wife had one this year & is doing better. Either one or both of us have been in the hospital or recouping since April. I'll be glad when 2013 is over. Good luck & God bless!

bborr01
10-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Every healthy man wears a crown but it takes a sick man to see it. Something like a stroke puts things into perspective and tends to make one not take things for granted so much. Best wishes for a full recovery Steve.

Brian

boslab
10-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Sorry you've been ill, glad your getting back, patience is the key!, oh and aspirin!, i can remember not being able to get down the garden to my shop without several stops on the way, now I'm building a house!, keep at it, brains can do remarkable things!
Regards
Mark

Dr Stan
10-13-2013, 08:39 PM
I also send well wishes. My wife had one about 2 years ago. Just a few years ago a stroke was almost always a major life changing event. With appropriate rehabilitation recovery is much more likely today. Hang in there and get well soon.

mikem
10-13-2013, 10:22 PM
How long since your stroke?

Frank Ford
10-13-2013, 10:44 PM
You have my best wishes as well! I know first-hand that a stroke is a no foolin' terrifying thing. Take those meds, do what the docs say, and keep at it - we're all pulling for you.

chip's
10-13-2013, 11:37 PM
As the others said, best wishes and hope you keep doing better.

dhammer
10-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks so much for everyone's good wishes. It has been two years since my stroke. I was off work for three months..never thought I would ever be able to work again. I had to learn to count, do math, drive, change oil on my car etc etc. My wife and speech therapist were invaluable in my recovery. My wife made me do puzzles , simple math problems and read and read some more. My speech therapist gave me page after page of brain excercises.

At first I was so frustrated at my inability to even count to ten I would cry like a baby..I still get emotional at the drop of a hat..something I never did before.

I'm very lucky I had/have a wonderful wife who never gave up on me, forced me to exercise when I really didn't feel like it. Anyway, thanks so much for everyone's good wishes..it means the world to me.

Steve

Dr Stan
10-14-2013, 08:35 AM
basically the same things the speech therapist had my wife do. Fortunately my wife's stroke was not nearly as severe as yours. One of the things she recommended is http://www.lumosity.com/. My therapist at the VA Clinic also recommended it highly as they are using it for vets with TBI with very good results.

Forrest Addy
10-14-2013, 09:50 AM
I had a stroke in 2005. Mine wasn't bad as such things go but the stroke and its aftermath was a terrible thing for me to endure, and yes, I was a weenie. I was two weeks in rehab re-learninng to walk and swallow. My bro in law brought me my computer and between HSM, Wood Central, and PM it was the everyday traffic on the sites and if it wasn't for the telephone support of people like JAldrich and Carla (neither post here anymore) messages of support bu
y site members, and a few people I met at Good Samaritan in Renton WA that would have been a bleak couple weeks.

I met a family who had a chipper little girl whose grandpa's speech was taken by a stroke. I ate most meals with them. Little support groups came and went with the patients.

Barbara was there most every day (a 45 mile drive in heavy traffic each way is not her cup of tea but she did it for me) and my neighbors, bro in law, nieces and nephews, etc. So it was tolerable as such things could be made.

But the everday activity on my fav websites went a long way to alleviate the stress and boredom of my theraby and rehabilitation. This would be a good time to say thanks to you all again.

Anyway, Steve, buck up. You've learned stroke damage can be overcome. I work metal and wood most every day. Keeps me sharp and I bet it would for you too as you do more of it. In the meantime, keep active on your websites. Your physical world may have shrunk a bit but you can still participale in the part you can see from your computer monitor and, these days of high-speed internet, that part can be huge.

Alistair Hosie
10-14-2013, 12:06 PM
HI brother a hearty and heartfelt welcome back and we pray for a speedy and full recovery.Alistair and Family

michigan doug
10-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Welcome back, and press on to the goal, whatever goal that is.

doug

Hey, and everybody check their blood pressure this week.

Prevention really is better. Sorry, the doctor part of me can't resist...

By the way, the guidelines have changed for what constitutes "normal" blood pressure. It used to be if your first number (the bigger of the two--systolic) was below 140, you were ok.

Now, they consider 120 to 140 as pre-hypertensive, and your risk for strokes and other bad events has already started creeping up.

If it's high, there are lifestyle things to change first. If you're overweight, even a little, lose some weight. Exercise. Yes, it sucks. Yes, it may very well save your life. To do your cariovascular system some real good, it should be at least 25-30 minutes of exercise, and at least 3 times per week. Exercise hard enough to get your heart rate up to the magic level.

That's generally considered 60 to 70% of your maximum age adjusted heart rate. That's 220 - (your age).

hth,

d

sasquatch
10-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Ditto to what everyone else here has posted, wishing you a good recovery, and from what you have posted that you have done so far, you are doing great.

Evan
10-15-2013, 01:21 AM
Glad to hear you are making it back. Many people don't. I have had two hemorrhagic strokes in two years and I should be dead. Somehow I have managed to beat the odds with a few exceptions. The worst is my inability to speak well. I have lost much of my ability to recall nouns when speaking aloud. It isn't as bad when writing. It has nothing to do with memory. It is a matter of the memory area being blocked by damage in between there and the speech centre. It is incredibly frustrating when talking to other people. Unfortunately, there is very little hope of making it better. I have some other issues also such has very poor balance so I have to be super careful when walking or doing anything when standing.

Yours sounds like it was pretty bad so you are doing very well to come back as far as you have. Good luck and keep up the therapy.

dp
10-15-2013, 01:34 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience. Strokes are such an oddity with symptoms so subtle and as or more often stark that it is hard to identify one at all its stealth and disguises. I cannot say with certainty that I have not had one already but I have no apparent lingering symptoms. My family is well acquainted with them over multiple generations and surely my time will come if history is any indicator. Congratulations for your recovering your ability to enjoy your life as you did prior. I'm not ashamed to say this is the one thing about aging that scares the crap out of me based on watching what it has done in my family. At age 30 I never thought about it but now at 67 I frequently think about it. You don't know what you will be left with post-stroke, and you don't know how often it will visit. And you surly don't know if it will strike you or your spouse or both.

mike4
10-15-2013, 02:51 AM
I wish you a speedy recovery , strokes are not good for anyone .

Like any injury or medical condition you learn to appreciate what you have and often relearn how to do thngs that many take for granted.

Michael

Mid Day Machining
10-15-2013, 03:04 AM
Hello everyone,

Steve

I understand your situation completely. In October 2007 I had cardiac bypass and aortic valve replacement surgery. Since then I have had 7 mini strokes(TIS's). I can always tell when they are coming on because I get double vision. It only lasts a minute or less, but it's still a problem. It happened once while I was driving. I was following a motor home and all of a sudden he had 4 big round tail lights.