PDA

View Full Version : Interesting collaboration on 3d printing in metal - AMAZE

Stuart Br
10-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Not quite home shop, but an interesting project

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24528306

The European Space Agency has unveiled plans to "take 3D printing into the metal age" by building parts for jets, spacecraft and fusion projects.

The Amaze project brings together 28 institutions to develop new metal components which are lighter, stronger and cheaper than conventional parts.

Additive manufacturing (or "3D printing") has already revolutionised the design of plastic products.

Printing metal parts for rockets and planes would cut waste and save money.

Amaze is a loose acronym for Additive Manufacturing Aiming Towards Zero Waste and Efficient Production of High-Tech Metal Products.

The 20m-euro project brings together 28 partners from European industry and academia - including Airbus, Astrium, Norsk Titanium, Cranfield University, EADS, and the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy.

Factory sites are being set up in France, Germany, Italy, Norway and the UK to develop the industrial supply chain.

Spin Doctor
10-15-2013, 10:43 PM
NASA already has 3d printed rocket engine parts in testing. One thing they are looking at is complex welded manifold assemblies in engines.

Stuart Br
10-16-2013, 02:41 AM
A friend of mine in the industry tells me that fatigue life is currently the biggest challenge to overcome in Additive Layer Manufacturing.
I am sure that these challenges will be overcome, but in the mean time conventional techniques are still winning.