PDA

View Full Version : Crude but effective gopher gun

Danl
10-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Made these today: 12 ga. shotgun shells to the job. Pellets need not even come near the critters, the shock will do the job within a yard or two inside their tunnel. However, since they are the ones pulling their own trigger, they are no doubt closer than that. Loose tolerances are better for these. I've killed several with these this year on my property. Perfectly legal here in Oregon. (I'm outside city limits) Care must be taken to insure children, dogs, cats or other critters stay clear of these. A small nail serves as the firing pin, which is the last item installed when pointing these into the tunnels.

Dan

links to photos deleted by moderator.

Toolguy
10-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Pretty cool! More like a Gopher Cannon. Smile - wait for flash!

Dave P.
10-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Looks like it could keep people out of your toolbox also.
Not sure what the ATF guys would think about it.....
Dave

Daveb
10-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Converts your gophers into goners.

Daveb
10-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Looks like it could keep people out of your toolbox also.
Dave
To do the same job with people, a 16" naval gun would be about right.

mf205i
10-17-2013, 12:30 PM
I appreciate the desire but itís a booby trap and a short barreled shotgun, both are federal felonies.
So what happens when you are gone and someone or your dog finds it?
Mike

Edwin Dirnbeck
10-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Its your prperty so as for as I am concerned you can do what you want.It seems to me that any kind or exsplosive sitting outdoors just waiting to go off is pretty dangerous.I know when I was a small boy ,if me and my buddys would have known that some thing like this was around ,we would have figured a way to fool with it. Most young boys love things that go bang and its even better when there is no adult around .I know,kids shoulnt do these things,but just stop and think of all the crazy things that you or your freinds did when you were young.Just my thoughts, Edwin

A.K. Boomer
10-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Yes hate to say but think it could be categorized as a "land mine" ...

Heck if a gophers on the receiving side of it just a primer would send it into a death shock and be far safer...