PDA

View Full Version : How to cut a rectangular carbide piece

PT Doc
10-19-2013, 09:52 AM
I have 2 piece of 1/8" thick x 1/2" wide x 6" long that I need to shorten to about 4.5". Any recommendations from the group on how to do this? I have a roto zip with some attachments, angle grinder with cutoff discs, metal cutting circular saw with carbide tipped blade, 2x72" belt grinder with all kinds of great ceramic belts. I'm not sure I have what is needed. I'd like the cut edge to be fairly clean.

Thanks for the help.

DICKEYBIRD
10-19-2013, 10:36 AM
I bought some little diamond cutoff wheels from CTC http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-437/DIAMOND-LAPIDARY-CUTT-OFF/Detail and they will slice right through carbide. I'm at work now but if I recall correctly they're about .030" thick.

Shipping from Taiwan's a bit slow but if you're in a hurry PM me your addy and I'll send you a couple (if you're here in the U.S.)

ps: Harbor Freight may have something: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-diamond-coated-rotary-cutting-discs-69657.html

macona
10-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Scribe one side with a cheap diamond wheel in a dremel and snap in half.

PT Doc
10-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Sounds simple enough. Thanks

bborr01
10-20-2013, 08:41 AM
You can also cut carbide with a regular zip cut wheel. I have cut a lot of carbide wear strips in similar sizes to that you are referring to with a 7" zip cut. Set up just like you are cutting steel. Then bear down on it until the carbide turns red and it will start cutting. I probably wouldn't do that if it were for cutting tool types of applications but it worked great for carbide that was used for wear surfaces.

I don't think that a 2" cutoff wheel in an air grinder will work though. It is also pretty rough on a 7" wheel but it works.

Brian

EddyCurr
10-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Any discussion about carbide and processes that create carbide dust
should include remarks about health issues arising from inhalation,
ingestion and skin contact.

At the very least, do a little research about the consequences beforehand.

J Tiers
10-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Any discussion about carbide and processes that create carbide dust
should include remarks about health issues arising from inhalation,
ingestion and skin contact.

At the very least, do a little research about the consequences beforehand.

Have not looked the MSDS up, but such issues would be easily handled by a wet process using diamond wheel. If it cuts as fast as a diamond wheel works on the surface, it will be plenty fast and no need for re-hot cutoff wheels etc.

The material is so dense that I would not expect a lot of trouble with airborne dust anyhow.

EddyCurr
10-21-2013, 09:49 AM
At the very least, do a little research about the consequences beforehand.Or don't do any at all ...