PDA

View Full Version : OT: How Does This Forum Look On Phones

Paul Alciatore
10-20-2013, 11:56 AM
I do not have an up to date phone. Just a simple, talk only model. But a recent post by a member who has only a phone and no computer has me wondering. Just how well does a site like this forum work on the small screen of a phone?

I can see where the text of the messages would be OK, probably just fewer words in a line and more lines per post. But what about pictures? Are they compressed to fit the screen or do you have to scroll up/down and left/right to see all of them? Can you view them both ways? And does a phone display all the other elements of a web page? This forum is probably a very simple page to display. How about other sites that are not phone friendly? Are they easy or difficult to view?

lazlo
10-20-2013, 12:02 PM
It looks fine on a high-resolution smartphone (iPhone, Galaxy...) if you block the ads. No offense intended to our benevolent hosts, but the ads make the forum tough to read on a smartphone.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/forums_zps3ef7bc3a.jpg (http://s164.photobucket.com/user/rtgeorge_album/media/forums_zps3ef7bc3a.jpg.html)

torker
10-20-2013, 12:43 PM
You have to size things accordingly. Quick and easy to do but looking at a pic you have expanded isnt fun.
Typing in the provided boxes is a pain also...nobodys fault...just the small screen on the phone.

chipmaker4130
10-20-2013, 04:51 PM
In the very bottom left corner of your 'settings' tab you'll find an option to use the 'mobile' version of the forum. That might make things fit better on your phone.

torker
10-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Chipmaker...thanks for the tip...I changed it. It looks far different than what Im used to...but it does all fit the page better.
Russ

fjk
10-21-2013, 12:28 PM
I do not have an up to date phone. Just a simple, talk only model. But a recent post by a member who has only a phone and no computer has me wondering. Just how well does a site like this forum work on the small screen of a phone?

I can see where the text of the messages would be OK, probably just fewer words in a line and more lines per post. But what about pictures? Are they compressed to fit the screen or do you have to scroll up/down and left/right to see all of them? Can you view them both ways? And does a phone display all the other elements of a web page? This forum is probably a very simple page to display. How about other sites that are not phone friendly? Are they easy or difficult to view?

Everything is just real small, even the pictures. You can zoom in to parts and blow them up and then pan around on the site. I don't often do that. I find that when I take my glasses off, I can read things just fine. Reading glasses help (but then, I need them anyway so...)

I don't bother with mobile mode --- everything displays normally.

The ultra-high res display (Apple's Retina Display, I don't know what the Android/MS/... folks call theirs) helps _alot_ --- especially for text. I have both an iPhone 5 and an iPad2 --- the phone has the retina display, the pad doesn't --- and I prefer the phone, even though it's a lot smaller.

I don't like typing stuff in. I don't mind the actual typing, but it's real hard to go back and put the cursor someplace and then cut-n-paste or fix a typo or something. For example, when I typed (on a keyboard) the preceding sentence I started it "It's real ..." then decided I wanted to put the "I don't mind..." stuff before, so I had to put the cursor between the I and t of "It's..." and then type the new text --- doing that with the touch displays I find difficult. YMMV. I also have mixed feelings about Apple's autocorrect --- if there is stuff with lots of jargon or abbreviations, it tries to be "helpful" and turns it all into more mundane English. On the other hand, without autocorrect, I make just too many mistakes with the small touchscreen keys... (This is all on the Apple devices --- Android might be different)

Frank

torker
10-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Droid is the same. They are a pain...but amazing devices :)