PDA

View Full Version : Here is one flylo missed

JCHannum
10-24-2013, 08:49 AM
He must be slipping;

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/24/forrestal-navy-first-supercarrier-sold-for-1-penny/?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D395757

wierdscience
10-24-2013, 09:19 AM
How do we know he's not currently dredging a canal back behind his hanger?Imagine the possibilities,tons of storage,a heavy lift crane,massive hundred ton elevators.Made sea worthy no country's Craigslist machinetool listings would be out of reach.

AND he's a pilot:eek:,some refurbished A-6 Intruders and some ordinance he could bomb a smal country into giving up they're machines of mass production,it's world domination plot I tells ya:D

Quick,somebody call up 007!

DFMiller
10-24-2013, 09:28 AM
He might own the Texas salvage company. :-)
Don't assume he did not buy it.

Dave

MichaelP
10-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Actually, I've heard he was the one who sold it to the Texas Salvage Company with a great profit.

Dr Stan
10-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Since it was built in the early 50's in all likelihood its full of asbestos in the form of fire proofing, insulation around steam pipes, boilers & such which will have to be abated as part of the salvage operations. The Coral Sea had the same issues and drove the cost of salvage so high the scrapping company went bankrupt. If you're interested there's a web site dedicated to its scrapping here: http://www.usscoralsea.net/pages/picsexcv43.php

I assume the Forestall's dismantling will follow a very similar path.

WhatTheFlux!
10-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Silly idea, but why not tow it out to deep water and blow it up as a training exercise? I don't think they've ever done a SINKEX on such a large ship, and it would provide valuable insight as to how one of these handles in a mass-flooding event.

Yeah I get the value of the scrap... but my opinion is it'd be more valuable as a training aide... one of these days someone is going to make a determined go at one of our carriers and it won't be pretty.

saltmine
10-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Towing the ship to deep water and blowing it up isn't an option. Mainly because the ship would have to be stripped of all hazardous materials, anyway, before the "tree huggers" would let them sink it. When they sunk the decommissioned aircraft carrier Oriskany off the Florida coast, it took over a year to clear out all of the hazardous materials. Not the most economical of ideas.

flylo
10-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Too bad it couldn't' be sunk as a dive sight, that would be sweet!

Weston Bye
10-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Sunk? Been done before, to a ship I served on.

America held the distinctions of being the last U.S. supercarrier built not named after a person, and being the first large aircraft carrier since Operation Crossroads in 1946 to be expended in weapons tests. In 2005, she was scuttled southeast of Cape Hatteras, after four weeks of tests, despite a large protest of former crew-members who wanted to see her instituted as a memorial museum. She was the largest warship ever to be sunk.

from Wikipedia.

lynnl
10-24-2013, 12:16 PM
When they decommission a ship do they typically leave all the ancillary equipment, e.g. tools, medical/cooking/etc. equipt., in place, or is some of that repurposed or sold at the time.

I saw a TV program showing the cleanup of the Oriskany, prior to sinking. It looked pretty empty, but no way to know just when stuff was removed.

WhatTheFlux!
10-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Towing the ship to deep water and blowing it up isn't an option. Mainly because the ship would have to be stripped of all hazardous materials, anyway, before the "tree huggers" would let them sink it. When they sunk the decommissioned aircraft carrier Oriskany off the Florida coast, it took over a year to clear out all of the hazardous materials. Not the most economical of ideas.

Sink it while the Tree Huggers are aboard looking for HazMat. Problem solved.

Man do I have to think of EVERYTHING? SHHHessh. :P

lakeside53
10-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Sell it and India scrapper -they beach it and cut up in place... Toxic waste? na...

Weston Bye
10-24-2013, 12:43 PM
When they decommission a ship do they typically leave all the ancillary equipment, e.g. tools, medical/cooking/etc. equipt., in place, or is some of that repurposed or sold at the time.

I saw a TV program showing the cleanup of the Oriskany, prior to sinking. It looked pretty empty, but no way to know just when stuff was removed.

From the Wiki page about the other ship I served on:

Enterprise is a commissioned navy ship, but is inactive. She has undergone enough of the four-year long inactivation process to render her unfit for further service. Inactivation removes fuel, fluids, furnishings, tools, fittings, oil, and de-energizes the electrical system. Enterprise has already been cut open to allow the removal of useable systems.

Enterprise is a special case in that its 8 reactors are built in and the ship has to be "unbuilt" to remove and dispose of them.

saltmine
10-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Now that would be interesting.....The Enterprise sold to Indian scrappers. Just picture it....Indian scrappers, armed with huge cutting torches, chopping away at the Enterprise's reactors.....

mattthemuppet
10-24-2013, 02:16 PM
... giving up they're machines of mass production..

love that :D

Dr Stan
10-24-2013, 02:24 PM
When the scrapper cutting up the Coral Sea went bankrupt they tried to sell it to an Indian scrapper. The US Navy stepped in and squashed that idea real fast.

BTW, if you had grown up in the rust belt and witnessed a river on fire (the Cuyahoga in Cleveland OH) you would not be throwing around the "tree hugger" label. Nor would you if you had seen the polluted streams & rivers in third world countries. Be glad people changed and took responsibility for their actions instead of just willfully polluting the environment. Maybe your grand kids will be born without a deformity as a result.

flylo
10-24-2013, 02:26 PM
To be remade into Enterprise lathes & other made in India equipment.

Now that would be interesting.....The Enterprise sold to Indian scrappers. Just picture it....Indian scrappers, armed with huge cutting torches, chopping away at the Enterprise's reactors.....

WhatTheFlux!
10-24-2013, 02:27 PM
When the scrapper cutting up the Coral Sea went bankrupt they tried to sell it to an Indian scrapper. The US Navy stepped in and squashed that idea real fast.

BTW, if you had grown up in the rust belt and witnessed a river on fire (the Cuyahoga in Cleveland OH) you would not be throwing around the "tree hugger" label. Nor would you if you had seen the polluted streams & rivers in third world countries. Be glad people changed and took responsibility for their actions instead of just willfully polluting the environment. Maybe your grand kids will be born without a deformity as a result.

There's environmental activisim and there is extremism that inhibits progress. When I refer to tree-huggers I refer to the folks that inhibit progress for no apparent reason other than they can.

Dr Stan
10-24-2013, 03:08 PM
There's environmental activisim and there is extremism that inhibits progress. When I refer to tree-huggers I refer to the folks that inhibit progress for no apparent reason other than they can.

Then say so instead of using a pejorative term. BTW, having a clean environment is also good for those of us who enjoy hunting, fishing, and other outdoor activities.

Weston Bye
10-24-2013, 08:56 PM
I am not in favor of scuttling ships at sea, would rather see them dismantled at the end of their useful service. However, I am mindful of the great tonnage of ships, subs and aircraft lost at sea during the world wars and the lack of lasting damage to the environment. I'm sure there is damage somewhere - just nothing prominent enough for the environmentalists, extremist and otherwise, to be continuously rubbing our noses in.

saltmine
10-25-2013, 01:15 AM
I think it's a lot like anything your average extremist would do. If we listened to all of the "tree huggers" we'd be living in caves, and all of our transportation would be powered by horses or oxen. We'd be eating disease ridden raw food, and writing by candlelight. People seldom lived beyond the age of 35. And, you know what? The world would continue on without even noticing it.

Some of these guys have never tried to cross a street paved with dirt, covered with horse**** and sewage people have thrown out. So many long for the good 'ol days. Stop and think for a minute. Do you know why the bride has bouquets of flowers at her wedding? Because almost nobody believed in taking a bath more than twice a year, and the flowers were there to help kill the stench. Most men changed clothes when the clothes they were wearing started to rot and fall off, or got so badly torn they were unwearable.
Dr. Stan will love this. Doctors didn't have anesthetics, a couple gulps of corn whiskey was supposed to do the trick. And one of the biggest killers was gangrene, which most doctors treated by sawing off the diseased limb. Thanks, but no thanks, I'd rather be in the here & now, where the doctors overcharge, mis-diagnose, and do predatory referrals to make the payments on their mansions and BMW's. Sorry Stan, Doctors in my neighborhood are in it to get rich, and they do.

Dr Stan
10-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Dr. Stan will love this. Doctors didn't have anesthetics, a couple gulps of corn whiskey was supposed to do the trick. And one of the biggest killers was gangrene, which most doctors treated by sawing off the diseased limb. Thanks, but no thanks, I'd rather be in the here & now, where the doctors overcharge, mis-diagnose, and do predatory referrals to make the payments on their mansions and BMW's. Sorry Stan, Doctors in my neighborhood are in it to get rich, and they do.

You are guilty of putting words in my mouth and by so doing expose your ignorance. I'm more than a little aware of the advances in medicine etc over the past 100 yrs or so. Not all of those concerned with the environment are extremists, but its people of your ilk who are the anti-science and would has us believe we were riding dinosaurs less than 2000 years ago. :rolleyes: Now tell me how does it feel to be the recipient of false accusations?