PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly dropping South Bend 8K 8x18?

tlfamm
10-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Although it isn't labeled a "closeout" price ($1965) on the catalog page:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8K-8-x-18-Lathe/SB1001

It is so labeled on the dynamic ad scroll on the main page (you have to wait for the SB 8K ad to cycle around):

http://www.grizzly.com/

mattthemuppet
10-31-2013, 03:40 PM
that's a shame, but even at that price it would struggle to compete against similar alternatives (like the LMS 8.5x16 at $1600) or better equipped 9x22 machines. It appears to be a league above those machines in capability (spindle bore size, D-lock chuck mounting), but that kind of capability isn't really something most buyers of this class of lathe really need.

kitno455
10-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Papagrizzly himself said the machine is discontinued in a thread over at PM.

allan

flylo
10-31-2013, 06:48 PM
I had a used Webaco 10x24 that sold for about double that plus shipping to the west coast. The SB has better features & a much bigger thru hole.Compared to wages in the '40s & what Atlas 6x18 & SB 9s cost then these new ones are a fair deal IMHO & you all know how much I like American iron.

garyhlucas
10-31-2013, 09:19 PM
I have a 10" Southbend built around 1952 with the base and a collet drawer, and the taper attachment. It came out of a lab at RCA Sarnoff labs at a sealed bid auction where I paid $500 for it. It is about as close to new as possible for a lathe of that age. It had the original leather belt on it when I got it.

It actually wasn't the good buy of the day though. I also got an Excello Spindle Wizard CNC knee mill for $2,000, and a huge Shizouka Spindle Wizard CNC knee mill with an automatic tool changer for $5000. The big mill came with more than 50 NMTB tool holders and more than 100 collets! I got chucks, setscrew holders collet holders, shell mill holders. I sold the the Shizouka for $12,000! and kept all the holders. Never had to change a tool in a holder ever, until it wore out. I sold it all off except the Southbend about 12 years ago.

garyhlucas
10-31-2013, 09:19 PM
I have a 10" Southbend built around 1952 with the base and a collet drawer, and the taper attachment. It came out of a lab at RCA Sarnoff labs at a sealed bid auction where I paid $500 for it. It is about as close to new as possible for a lathe of that age. It had the original leather belt on it when I got it.

It actually wasn't the good buy of the day though. I also got an Excello Spindle Wizard CNC knee mill for $2,000, and a huge Shizouka Spindle Wizard CNC knee mill with an automatic tool changer for $5000. The big mill came with more than 50 NMTB tool holders and more than 100 collets! I got chucks, setscrew holders collet holders, shell mill holders. I sold the the Shizouka for $12,000! and kept all the holders. Never had to change a tool in a holder ever, until it wore out. I sold it all off except the Southbend about 12 years ago.