PDA

View Full Version : HELP ! Replacing ATLAS 10 head stock bearings

jules
11-01-2013, 10:54 AM
I need to replace head stock bearings on my atlas 10. Question I assume I need to press them out with a hydraulic press...which end of spindle is the driving end. Should I Press from the chuck end or opposite gear drive end.

JCHannum
11-01-2013, 11:30 AM
The removal of the bearings can be accomplished with normal shop tools, including a dead blow hammer. A press is not needed, nor is it necessary to remove the headstock from the lathe bed. Detailed instructions are furnished in the Atlas Manual of Lathe Operations. I will not include them here as the manual is available from several sources and available as a free download on the internet. It is a valuable source of much information and should be included in your reference material.

I do question why you feel the need to replace the bearings? Are they rough or frozen, or do they just have end play. The manual also includes instructions on adjusting the end play of the bearings and this should be addressed prior to embarking on major surgery.

GEP
11-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Ceck your PM's

jules
11-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks Jim Its a relief knowing that I do not need a press. I did check the "Atlas manual of lathe operation" and they do not give detailed info on the bearing change. Example " Use 2 pieces of wood and hit with a hammer" ???? not what im looking for perhaps you could give me the web site you were referring to that gives more detailed instructions. Thanks J Cellura

jules
11-01-2013, 08:58 PM
hello your reply states "Ceck your PM's" What is that!

JCHannum
11-01-2013, 09:13 PM
This is a reasonably good video on spindle removal. The sneaky part is removing (and reinstallation at reassembly) of the woodruff key at about the 4 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxhuAh4OgK8

jules
11-02-2013, 01:15 AM
JIM... Its now 1:00 AM in the morning and the lathe is finished... I saw the youtube video link you sent me and it looked very simple...
I spent more time cleaning the parts than I spent on disassembly and assembly...The woodruff key was tricky but when you have a heads up, it went easy.. Thanks very much , you saved me a lot of time and money JC

JCHannum
11-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Glad I could help. Congrats on a successful operation.