PDA

View Full Version : grinding grooves in carbide blanks

deklund
11-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi All,

I am new here, and would like to take advantage of the forum to ask a question.

I've been making tools for some artist friends and recently they have asked me to make a toothed cutter with around 32tpi. I have been working with carbide for their application, but I have no idea how to cut teeth into a carbide blank. I have seen thread cutting dies in carbide (too coarse for my application) but I have not seen the grinding tool that supports this (about a 30deg sharp V). Can anyone here lend some advise? I had considered trying to use file making techniques in a tool steel blank, but I don't have the proper tools or knowledge to harden it.

Many Thanks

Don

Zero_Divide
11-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Hi All,

I am new here, and would like to take advantage of the forum to ask a question.

I've been making tools for some artist friends and recently they have asked me to make a toothed cutter with around 32tpi. I have been working with carbide for their application, but I have no idea how to cut teeth into a carbide blank. I have seen thread cutting dies in carbide (too coarse for my application) but I have not seen the grinding tool that supports this (about a 30deg sharp V). Can anyone here lend some advise? I had considered trying to use file making techniques in a tool steel blank, but I don't have the proper tools or knowledge to harden it.

Many Thanks

Don

Do you need a carbide tap?
Is so there are places you can buy those.
Grinding carbide is possible with a diamond wheel, but in home setting you will have hard time getting correct provile and V sharpness.

I have ground some extremely small tools by hand but you need a prestine wheel for that, othervise your corners will have too much of a radius.

Jaakko Fagerlund
11-03-2013, 05:14 PM
You can purchase those thread milling carbide inserts in 32 TPI, I'm 110 % sure of this as I can get anything in metric as such. But if you need to do them yourself or have them done, you need diamond tools to grind carbide. Other option is to use a (wire) EDM to burn the shape to a carbide blank.

What is the tool supposed to do?

deklund
11-04-2013, 11:13 AM
The tools are used in scratchboard to create parallel lines. I need 6 - 8 teeth which I then solder to a piece of drill rod and install in a hande. Can you direct me to a site that sells a Diamond 'V' wheel? I have not been able to find one.

easymike29
11-04-2013, 11:57 AM
The tools are used in scratchboard to create parallel lines. I need 6 - 8 teeth which I then solder to a piece of drill rod and install in a hande. Can you direct me to a site that sells a Diamond 'V' wheel? I have not been able to find one.

Try here

Gene

http://www.diamondtooling.com/

Toolguy
11-04-2013, 12:13 PM
You would be far better off getting a 32 TPI thread mill insert. All you would have to do is mill a flat on the end of the drill rod and drill and tap a hole for the screw. The insert would have 6 - 8 teeth on it.