PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Soft Faced Hammers

jmayaa
11-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Recently picked up these two Craftsman soft-faced hammers.
I've looked around on the net and checked at Sears for new tips. The guy at sears just kind of gave me a blank look, he had no clue what I wanted.
Anyway, I'm hoping maybe someone here would know where I can get replacement tips for these hammers. They have square type metal heads that hold the tips on.
I hope I can find some, it would be a shame to not fix these.
Thanks,
Jeff
Hagerstown, MD

alanganes
11-13-2013, 07:51 PM
In the off chance you had not thought of this, and not to state the obvious, but have you tried the sears website? they have a pretty extensive listing of replacement parts for stuff they sell (or once sold). Particularly if you can find a sears part number on the hammers.

Bob Fisher
11-13-2013, 09:28 PM
They are easy to make, I have one and made several different heads for it. The softer plastics can be a bit harder to machine tho. Bore the holes so that the opening is slightly smaller and they will pop right on. Bob.

PJRitz
11-13-2013, 09:43 PM
The hammers are lifetime warranty, just exchange it for a new one. (Seems like they quit carrying the replacement tips around here)

jmayaa
11-13-2013, 10:12 PM
I just got done searching the sears web site, McMaster Carr and a few others for the replacement tips.
The hammers I have do not use the screw on type, those are easy to find.
I guess what I have may be pretty old as they have protruding squares that go into the soft tips.
One hammer the square is about .562" and the larger one has a square about .625" on it.
FYI, I tried taking them into my local sears store, the person in the tool area just looked at the hammers with a kind of blank look. Just said, no, we don't have them anymore.
I guess I could try getting the store manager and see if they will replace the entire hammer for a new o e with the screw on tips.
If anyone knows where the type of tips with the square type attachment can be had, please let me know.
I'd like to keep these hammers as they are really in decent shape and most likely older and better than the new crap.
Thanks,
Jeff

RussZHC
11-13-2013, 10:49 PM
as they have protruding squares that go into the soft tips

so, does this mean the "inside" of that end of the soft tips hold on by friction/fit?

Asking as I have seen several ways of holding replacement tips on hammers, as you say many are screw but there are also the type where an outer case sort of deal fits over the top of the handle and clamps down to the handle and the tips at the same time (those tips have a sort of lip molded or machined in that matches a mirror lip on the interior of that outer case. Carr Lane listed (old catalog so YMMV) them as "Simplex". Wiha also makes this style.

You may have some luck if you can figure out who the maker of the Craftsman hammer was/is and then if they are still in business or not or if there is another similar model under a different label/brand.

Vaughan?

http://www.hammersource.com/Soft_Face_Hammers/ has pages and pages, not sure if they make or just resell others

http://www.nuplacorp.com/

Lots of options (domestic and off shore) but the vast majority I can find are screw on of some sort..

Oldguy
11-14-2013, 04:05 AM
Don't see a photo, if you put one up. I think I know the hammer/s you're talking about, as I think I have the same ones that I bought from Sears about 30 years ago. They're made by Vaughan and the replacement tips are available from KBC Tools. They're on the bottom of page 866 in the catalog. Here's a link:

http://kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm

Type the page number in the box in the upper left corner (under the KBC logo) and take a look.

Glenn

jmayaa
11-14-2013, 05:32 AM
Oldguy,
Thanks,
I will try to post some pics if I can figure it out.
The hammers on page 866 do look like the ones I have.
I'm going to call them today and see if someone at KBC will be able to verify that the replacements are for the square ends.
Many thanks for the info, I never heard of KBC before. I've bookmarked it.
Jeff

EddyCurr
11-14-2013, 12:11 PM
jmayaa, check the handle near the bottom. My hammer is
branded there with the following:

Craftsman Professional Mechanics
38292 12 oz

Oldguy, thank you for pointing to Vaughan as the manufacturer.
I either received my hammer new as a gift or bought it myself
a bit before you got yours.

Mine has the yellow plastic tips on both ends. It has a nice
feel in the hand and worked well, but mine has been retired
for a while because Sears and my usual sources were unable
to provide replacement tips. Immediate requirements trumped
patience and a different hammer was purchased.

I am looking forward to placing this favorite back into service.

jmayaa
11-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Yup, they are Vaughan's. Spoke with a rep earlier today.
SHe had a few Sears part numbers for the replacement tips, but not for all of them.
She suggested I go online and order direct from them.
I did, they are on their way.
I just want to say Thank You to all those who posted here.
Thanks again,
Jeff
Hagerstown, MD

Bob Fisher
11-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Read my earlier post, we live to make stuff that we could more easily buy! If you look carefully at the square, you will notice that it is larger at the tip than at the handle. They will snap right on and stay put. Bob.

jmayaa
11-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Just a quick update. Received my replacement tips from Vaughan today.
Pleasant service, fast shipping, perfect.
New tips pressed right on in my vise.
Got two almost new softfaced hammers for about $5.00 each

BigBoy1
11-21-2013, 05:18 AM
The hammers are lifetime warranty, just exchange it for a new one. (Seems like they quit carrying the replacement tips around here)

My local Sears won't honor the lifetime warranty unless the tool is accompanied by its ORIGINAL sales receipt. They won't even accept the argument that the tool was a gift and you do not have the receipt. They say, get the receipt from the giver. How many of you ask the giver for a receipt or keep a tool purchase receipts for years? Just another way for companies to get out of honoring promises made years ago.