PDA

View Full Version : "saving" old manuals

hms50
04-23-2004, 01:09 PM
First of all, I'm not an expert by any means but.... After finding an early and rather rare manual for an old motorcycle, I was miffed that my wife objected to it's mildew smell. It had gotten wet and strange things were growing in it. Placing it in a zip-lock bag,in went some paper towel with clove oil. After a month or so, the manual smells much better and is no longer unwanted in the living room. This might not be a good idea for a valuable book, but it sure helped with this manual.

sjensen30
04-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! I like to buy old Popular Mechanics mag's and sometimes they too get pretty mildewed. I'll give your suggestion a try.

CCWKen
04-23-2004, 10:03 PM
I've got a large glass trophy case where I keep old car repair manuals. Makes for a nice display too. I keep a box of baking soda in it and that seems to keep them fresh and dry.

suprdvn
04-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Have you ever seen rice in salt shakers that looks like its been in there since the restaurant first opened it's doors. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif
The idea is to use it as a desicant. But the employees think it can stay in there forever and just add more salt. Yuck. There tiny brains havn't figured out that after a day or two it has absorbed as much moisture as it ever will.
Super Dave