X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duckman
    • Nov 2009

Eyelets in tubing

OK here's my problem I have some 3/4" SS tubing that I have to install some 1/8" eyelets in they are opposite each other, after putting the first one in and flaring it over on the inside how do I flare the other one, approx. 4" down from the end. The first one I can flare from the opposite side by using a punch that goes in the 1/8" hole, it does not have to be a 100% flare it's basically just to keep it from falling out, with the vast amount of wisdom on this site I know I'll get an answer.
  • winchman
    • Aug 2003

Make a tool that looks like old wooden clothespin. Put a rounded projection on each side near the end that goes into the tubing. Have a wedge-shaped piece that's pulled between the two halves of the 'clothespin' to force them outward to flare the eyelet(s) as you tighten a bolt. Hold the eyelet(s) against the outside with a clamp of some sort.

You'll need to figure out how to line the projection up with the eyelet. If you do one with a punch, you could make the projection of one side of the tool small enough to fit into the eyelet before you start tightening the bolt.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

• Westline
      • Feb 2011

Take a 3/8 nut put slight chamfer on one end with the lathe.
      Install a 3/8 bolt through the eyelet that needs to to be flared with the nut on the inside of the tube.
      Now you can put a smaller punch through the other eyelet and hit it on the tip of the bolt that should pull the nut down flare the eyelet.

Just make sure you have a long enough bolt to give you enough clearance to support the outside edges of the eyelet on something like a bench vise jaws with the bolt going through the jaws.

Hope it works.

K
      If you are using violence and it does not work, You are not using enough or it is upside down.
      You can always just EDM it...

Comment

• macona
        • Aug 2006

Silver solder them in place.

Comment

• winchman
          • Aug 2003

Make an long round anvil you can secure in the vise. It will be nearly as large in diameter as the ID of the tube. The anvil will have a rounded projection near the end to flare the eyelet.
          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

• duckman
            • Nov 2009

Winchman both ideas are great I think the clothespin idea is going to work. Macona good idea but the tubes would have to be polished after. Westline the ID of the eyelets is .108" so I don't think a 3/8" bolt is going to work. Thanks for all the ideas.

Comment

• 1-800miner
              • May 2010

install 3/16 0r 1/4 pop rivets and drill out the center to 1/8

Comment

Working...
              X