PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has the USPS Finally Got It Right?

Paul Alciatore
11-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Last weekend I placed two orders for electronic parts: one shipped from Minnesota and the other from Dallas. They arrived in Beaumont, TX on Tuesday and Wednesday, basically three day delivery, even counting Sunday for one of them. I had them shipped via USPS Priority mail. About half the cost of FedEx or UPS economy service and about one day faster than either one of them would have taken. Has the Post Office finally got something right?

Optics Curmudgeon
11-25-2013, 12:51 AM
If you're ordering electronic parts from an outfit in Thief River Falls, MN, I learned to have them ship USPS, too. By far the best delivery time.

flylo
11-25-2013, 01:17 AM
If they got it right it was a mistake & they'll quickly correct that & find a way to screw it it again.

dp
11-25-2013, 01:45 AM
I'm actually pretty happy with USPS parcel service but only because all you guys are helping me pay for it whether you use it or not :)

Forrest Addy
11-25-2013, 03:54 AM
I'm actually pretty happy with USPS parcel service but only because all you guys are helping me pay for it whether you use it or not :)

Who told you this? Last I read the USPS was fully self funded from postage revenues until they were saddled with this health benefits pay-ahead scheme. If postal rates were allowed to float to neutral revenue they would still be properly funded.

The only reason USPS is perceived as ailing is propaganda. Moneyed interests want the revenue stream. They want to fix what aint broke so they can rake off 9%.

hoffman
11-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Who told you this? Last I read the USPS was fully self funded from postage revenues until they were saddled with this health benefits pay-ahead scheme. If postal rates were allowed to float to neutral revenue they would still be properly funded.

The only reason USPS is perceived as ailing is propaganda. Moneyed interests want the revenue stream. They want to fix what aint broke so they can rake off 9%.

So true. I have a small rural post office within walking distance of my house and the greedy Feds have threatened to shut it down several times >:| The Postmaster there often works the window and tells me that it's profitable...

Don't drink the kool-aid folks. USPS is a good thing and they do good work!

CarlByrns
11-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Last week, Littlemachineshop sent me a Priority Bulk box from Californy to New York in two days. For under 6 bucks.

J Tiers
11-25-2013, 08:48 AM
If you're ordering electronic parts from an outfit in Thief River Falls, MN, I learned to have them ship USPS, too. By far the best delivery time.

We find that's true about 70% of the time. Depends on time of year, also. We are coming up on the time when UPS may be faster than USPS by up to 4 days.

sasquatch
11-25-2013, 08:53 AM
I'm from Ontario Canada, and have ordered a bit from the US suppliers, and the very fastest was "Little Machine Shop".
Canadian postal service has been quite good lately, before that it was a dice toss when something would arrive.
The only thing that was ever consistant and very speedy was Recieving bills that had to be paid. Lol

Highpower
11-25-2013, 11:38 AM
I've received a few priority mail packages in the last couple of months in 2-3 days time. Used to be 3-5 days in most cases. But then I went to a local post office to purchase a couple of rolls of stamps. Didn't have any. That was my third attempt. So I went home and ordered them online along with some shipping materials.

A week goes by and I received a package of shipping envelopes - nothing else. A week after that I got a pack of shipping labels. Week #3 and I finally got the stamps I ordered. I received the last pack of labels about 4 days later.

The shipping materials didn't cost anything, but I had to pay $1.75 for postage for the two rolls of stamps???

Finally got it right??? Not quite.

Paul Alciatore
11-25-2013, 06:07 PM
You do know that you can print your own postage at home? Just go to the USPS web site, no special software is needed. And free boxes are a definite plus. At least they are for me. It can cost $0.50 to $1.50 for a package for a small shipment. I ship that way all the time. Of course, UPS and FedEx also provide boxes and envelopes.

I've received a few priority mail packages in the last couple of months in 2-3 days time. Used to be 3-5 days in most cases. But then I went to a local post office to purchase a couple of rolls of stamps. Didn't have any. That was my third attempt. So I went home and ordered them online along with some shipping materials.

A week goes by and I received a package of shipping envelopes - nothing else. A week after that I got a pack of shipping labels. Week #3 and I finally got the stamps I ordered. I received the last pack of labels about 4 days later.

The shipping materials didn't cost anything, but I had to pay $1.75 for postage for the two rolls of stamps???

Finally got it right??? Not quite.

portlandRon
11-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Yes, sometimes the service is not the best but if you stop and think what the actual cost is I still think it's a darn good deal.

mickeyf
11-25-2013, 08:53 PM
I think Digikey must have a special deal with USPS. I have never heard anything but good about how quickly their orders arrive.

Highpower
11-25-2013, 11:51 PM
You do know that you can print your own postage at home?
For priority and express mail yes. I'm talking about stamps for first class mail. Which is going up to 49 cents after the first of the year???

BigBoy1
11-26-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm talking about stamps for first class mail. Which is going up to 49 cents after the first of the year???

So now is the time to buy several rolls of "Forever" stamps before the price goes up. The biggest advantage of the Forever stamps.

doctor demo
11-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Yes, sometimes the service is not the best but if you stop and think what the actual cost is I still think it's a darn good deal.
If the Post Office had to operate like a legit business and pay all the fees and taxes that their competition pays, a stamp would cost 20 bucks.

Steve

Frank K
11-27-2013, 10:13 AM
If the Post Office had to operate like a legit business and pay all the fees and taxes that their competition pays, a stamp would cost 20 bucks.

Steve

You're absolutely right. Except that the government would tell them they are only allowed to charge 50 cents no matter what the cost of actually providing the service; that they are prohibited from closing down unprofitable operations; that they must deliver to EVERYONE, 6 days a week even if that persons lives 50 miles from the nearest Post Office and Oh Yea, pre pay 35 billion dollars into a retiree health insurance fund to cover workers that haven't even been hired yet. Ya think UPS or FedEx would still be around if they had to operate like that?

jim davies
12-01-2013, 11:28 PM
As a furriner, I love USPS. Compared to the gross ripoff that using UPS or FedupEx entails, USPS is a great and reliable bargain. Only problem I have EVER had was 1 lost parcel, and it was lost in the CanPost system.

alsinaj
12-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Sorry to be negative, but where I live (northern New York State), USPS has a consistent, nasty habit of marking items "delivered" in their tracking system when in fact the item has not been delivered. Happened to me twice in the last month. When I go to the Post Office and tell them I haven't received the parcel, first they say that they delivered it, and it's not their problem. Then, because it's a small town, they go in the back, pretend to look for it, and say it's not there. Then the parcel shows up a few days later in my mailbox. I just received two parcels on the same day: the first one that wasn't delivered when they said it was, and the second one that I ordered to replace the first one. There was a two-week delay between the two orders. I specifically ask my vendors not to use USPS and gladly pay extra for UPS and Fed Ex, which have never lost a package or faked a delivery.

outback
12-02-2013, 11:18 PM
I have had more trouble with UPS delivering my packages to another business across town.

I have a shop customer in the Chicago suburbs and I always use USPS to ship them my jobs. If I ship by 4:00 PM the customer
has the package next day before 11:00 AM. That's a 19 hour shipment. Another customer in Nashville TN. I can ship him parts and receive my paycheck in 5-6 days, all by USPS.

My local postmaster says the US post office is going after parcel shipments to make up for the loss of letter size mail. He says they love Ebay.

If you want to save money shipping USPS tell them you are shipping books or tapes. It might take an extra day to ship but the cost is almost half.
Jim

Paul Alciatore
12-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Rewarming this slightly old thread.

On Dec 21 I placed an order with Mouser Electronics. It shipped on the 23rd. Today, Dec. 26 I am sitting here listening to news reports of late deliveries that were guaranteed for the 25th, Christmas as much as two weeks before that date and UPS and FedEx are being mentioned. Five day delivery during the Christmas rush is pretty good. And I did not pay a single cent extra. In fact, it was a discounted rate for Express Mail. OK, it was shipped and delivered in the same state, different cities, but still I think that is pretty good service.

I think the USPS HAS finally gotten their S### together.

sch
12-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Had two polar opposites with the UPS and USPS. Amazon ships to the USPS bulk center about 10miles away and the UPS delivers it to the house. It was weird, ship to address was USPS center and
delivery by brown. Polar opposite was several shipments of books or CD by priority mail ordered 12/4 and delivered in 3-5 days. Priority mail not requested but used at shipper option. Another item
ordered same day from Mn. reported shipped out by USPS to Kentucky center on 12/7 and delivered to the house on 12/24. At least arrived in time to be wrapped for xmas. Had a DVD from Singapore
ordered on 12/5 that arrived last week. One nice USPS service was separate parcel delivery, so got parcels by 10-11am, where usual mail delivery is after 6pm. probably a holiday only setup though
I read where Amazon is experimenting with parcel only delivery in a few areas with USPS.

sch
12-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Had two polar opposites with the UPS and USPS. Amazon ships to the USPS bulk center about 10miles away and the UPS delivers it to the house. It was weird, ship to address was USPS center and
delivery by brown. Polar opposite was several shipments of books or CD by priority mail ordered 12/4 and delivered in 3-5 days. Priority mail not requested but used at shipper option. Another item
ordered same day from Mn. reported shipped out by USPS to Kentucky center on 12/7 and delivered to the house on 12/24. At least arrived in time to be wrapped for xmas. Had a DVD from Singapore
ordered on 12/5 that arrived last week. One nice USPS service was separate parcel delivery, so got parcels by 10-11am, where usual mail delivery is after 6pm. probably a holiday only setup though
I read where Amazon is experimenting with parcel only delivery in a few areas with USPS.

Frank K
12-27-2013, 02:55 PM

Actually what you're describing is called Smart Post. The way its SUPPOSED to work is the shipper addresses the package to your local Post Office and then turns it over to UPS or FedEx. They deliver a whole bunch of packages to the local Post Office and the Postal Service delivers it to you. This is the reason the label had the address of your Post Office. Since delivery to the "last mile" is the most costly and the Post Office goes to pretty much every house every day this system saves UPS and FedEx some bucks. BUT, when UPS or FedEx doesn't have a full truck load for one of their routes they bypass the Post Office and deliver the package themselves. This way they don't have to share the wealth with USPS and they fully utilize the truck and driver that's out there anyway.

Paul Alciatore
12-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Sounds to me that they are ALL getting smarter.

One thing that I hate is when UPS or FedEx get a package, they almost categorically refuse to deliver it any faster than their stated delivery date. Even if it sits in a local center for a day or two. On the other hand, the USPS will get them out right away. I have seen this over and over when watching the tracking data. I see no reason for it.

RussZHC
12-27-2013, 03:44 PM
that they must deliver to EVERYONE, 6 days a week even if that persons lives 50 miles from the nearest Post Office

for Canada Post, and by extension, Canadians, that is being phased out. IIRC, "door to door residential" by 2016.
As well there are some pretty big increases coming in the New Year, and while the price of a stamp goes up, it goes up a lot if you buy in singles [I know it may sound a bit odd but I send such little mail, I do buy a stamp only as I need it]

yul m6
12-27-2013, 06:43 PM
I ordered a bearing puller from an ebay seller in Macedon, NY, to be delivered to Champlain NY. Took 6 days with priority mail. This is the tracking result from USPS.
December 16, 2013 , 11:07 am
Delivered
CHAMPLAIN, NY 12919
December 16, 2013 , 10:32 am
Out for Delivery
CHAMPLAIN, NY 12919
December 16, 2013 , 10:22 am
Sorting Complete
CHAMPLAIN, NY 12919
December 16, 2013 , 10:17 am
Arrival at Post Office
CHAMPLAIN, NY 12919
December 14, 2013
Depart USPS Sort Facility
ALBANY, NY 12288
December 14, 2013 , 5:50 am
Processed through USPS Sort Facility
ALBANY, NY 12288
December 12, 2013
Depart USPS Sort Facility
SAN BERNARDINO, CA 92403
December 12, 2013 , 5:44 pm
SAN BERNARDINO, CA 92403
December 11, 2013 , 11:47 pm
MORENO VALLEY, CA 92553
December 11, 2013 , 1:07 am
Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility
ROCHESTER, NY 14606
December 10, 2013 , 11:52 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility
OLEAN, NY 14760

exkenna
12-27-2013, 08:15 PM
I've been real happy with USPS Priority Post.
I ship between 4 and 10 flat rate boxes and/or envelopes per day.
Been at it for 7 years now and no problems. I had to tell ups to stuff it.. with all those BS fees like "rural out of area" and "fuel surcharge".
What used to cost $9.50 to ship is now $16.00
And good luck trying to get them to settle a claim :(

mike4
12-27-2013, 08:23 PM
It seems that you services have a far better tracking system than Australia Post , It records when the item was posted at a Post Office , and when it was delivered . NOTHING in between .

I prefer courier deliveries as these can be tracked ,its a pity that buyers of goods are unable to select courier on Ebay !.

I dont mind the extra cost if the parcel can be tracked during its journey to you.

Michael

flutedchamber
12-28-2013, 03:46 AM
It seems that you services have a far better tracking system than Australia Post , It records when the item was posted at a Post Office , and when it was delivered . NOTHING in between .

I prefer courier deliveries as these can be tracked ,its a pity that buyers of goods are unable to select courier on Ebay !.

I dont mind the extra cost if the parcel can be tracked during its journey to you.

Michael

Having had packages "disappear" that were in the care of UPS, I thought I would share something that I learned from filing claims with UPS. Their "tracking" info isn't exactly tracking info. It is, according to UPS, WHERE THE PACKAGE SHOULD BE AT THAT DATE AND TIME, NOT WHERE IT ACTUALLY IS.

Hell, I can guess where a package is, why call it tracking if it's a guess??