PDA

View Full Version : Any updates on Guy?

sasquatch
11-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Wondering if anyone has any updates on Guy Lataurd?

Been awhile now since he was mentioned here.

DATo
11-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Greetings sasquatch !!!

Are we talking about the Canadian, Guy Lataurd? I thought he passed away some time ago. Or am I thinking of Rudy Kouhoupt?

I own Lataurd's bedside reader books and they paid for themselves once in the middle of a job I was doing with the home based business I had at that time. I was on a severe deadline on a job which required a custom sized reamer. (There wasn't enough time to order in the reamer.) I was skeptical of Guy's suggestion because I had never heard of it being done before, and I had been in the trade awhile by that time, but it worked like a charm.

I forgot which book it was in but the story of those Brits who made a screw-cutting lathe while in a WWII, Japanese, POW camp was absolutely fascinating. As I recall to bolster morale they made it a special goal to make the lathe from whatever scraps they could get their hands on in defiance of the Japanese who would have punished them severely had they found out what was going on. Made the lead screw from a crow bar or something as I recall.

J Register
11-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Guy appears to be alive and kicking - updated his site on Oct 14, 2013.

http://lautard.com/storage.htm#Miscellaneous

I do enjoy his writing - still waiting for TMBR#4 to come out.

Jim

tom in nh
11-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Every year around this time, I dig out his books. Must be the winter blues or something.
Anyways, sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone have suggestions for similar readings?
I like the Machinists Tips and Secrets volumes from Lindsay's.

Thanks,
Tom

sasquatch
11-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Hey DAto,, Yes i thoroughly enjoyed the story from WW2 also, a great read.

Tom in NH, are Lindsays books still being sold off or?

John Stevenson
11-29-2013, 07:14 PM
still waiting for TMBR#4 to come out.

Jim

Not going to happen whilst his ex wife is still alive as she gets the royalties and it wasn't an amicable split.

Bob Ford
11-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Tom,

Take a look at Gunsmith Kinks. http://www.brownells.com/books-videos/books/index.htm

Bob

dp
11-29-2013, 07:29 PM
I had considered writing a compilation of works from the community using the TMBR formula (different title and format, of course), but the printing, binding, and distribution costs are stupid expensive. Releasing it as an eBook via Apple or other on-line distro site is a poor compromise but that's the way the internet is taking us.

gizmo2
11-29-2013, 07:41 PM
I use them ( The Bedside Readers) quite a bit. In fact, I just made the machinist's clamps as per his suggestions, in 4 sizes. Put them into use before they were done. I don't know why I waited so long; they sure are a handy addition to the tool kit. Didn't cost much to make either, tho' the repetition did take its toll...

flylo
11-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Those are great!

Tom,

Take a look at Gunsmith Kinks. http://www.brownells.com/books-videos/books/index.htm

Bob

tom in nh
11-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Tom in NH, are Lindsays books still being sold off or?

Sasquatch,
Your Old Time Bookstore purchased all of Lindsay's remaining inventory and future publishing rights.
Bob,
I forgot about those books - got to get myself an early Xmas present....thanks for jarring my brain cells.

Tom

sasquatch
11-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks Tom, i had read or heard that but wasn't sure if Lindays books were still being re-printed and old stock sold off or what the situation was.
Sure miss getting Lindsay's great catalogs!!!

Bob Ford
11-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Tom,

Thanks for mentioning Your Oldtime Bookstore. http://www.youroldtimebookstore.com/

Nice to be able to buy technology books.

Bob

sasquatch
11-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Great!! Still some great reading there on the new owners site!!

Should have bought one of everything years ago, wonder how much discount Lindsay would have given??