PDA

View Full Version : Electrical sealer

radkins
11-30-2013, 01:52 PM
I have an automobile AC clutch I want to use for a small project I am working on, I saved this clutch from a compressor change I did for a neighbor a couple of years ago when the clutch bearing went out. I replaced the bearing and wound up with a perfectly good clutch for about $15, that is until I took it out today. When the clutch started rattling he sprayed an unidentified penetrating oil (he said it wasn't WD40 and couldn't remember the actual type) into the clutch assembly (smart move there pal!) and now I find the oil, whatever it was, has dissolved the coating that normally covers the face of the clutch electromagnet coil exposing the windings. It did not seem to affect the windings too much and the coil still works but they are now completely exposed and I need to reseal them, I can not find any insulating varnish locally and in fact some places I called didn't even know what I was asking for. What would be a good product that I might find at a building supply such as Lowes or Home Depot or one of the hardware stores? I can order insulating varnish and maybe even find some at one of the electrical supply stores here but it's the weekend and they won't be open until Monday, naturally I need this stuff like right now!

BTW, this thing will be in close proximity to an air cooled engine and very likely will get as hot, or possibly even a bit more so, than it did on the car engine I removed it from.

boslab
11-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Araldide epoxy is the thing that comes to mind, but there is electrical potting compound too, both 2 pack.
Mark

jlevie
11-30-2013, 02:33 PM
A catalyzed polyurethane varnish will probably work. You won't find it at a home center, but can get it from a paint supplier.

Willy
11-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Good suggestions above or you could also use just about any two part epoxy intended for automotive use. I've used similar products for potting electrical components that are exposed to relatively harsh under hood conditions in the past with no issues. Check into these products at any automotive parts supplier.

radkins
11-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Ok I used a clear two part Epoxy, Devcon, and after it set up it looks like nothing ever happened to the coil. It supposedly has a service temperature max of 200 deg so that is right up against the edge of what it would have been exposed to in automotive service, I am counting on that being a conservative rating with a built in safety margin because it is likely to see a bit higher temperatures than that. Oh well, if it fails it's not like it's going to be a major loss so I guess I will soon know!

Thanks for the suggestions

Mcostello
12-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Gyptol is a brand of red insulating spray on varnish, used on electric motors.

millwrong
12-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Gyptol is a brand of red insulating spray on varnish, used on electric motors.

Darn close!! Glyptol is the stuff to use. Many a motor winding has been sprayed into submission!

andywander
12-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Darn close!! Glyptol is the stuff to use. Many a motor winding has been sprayed into submission!

I hate to correct the correct-or, but it is Glyptal! (http://www.glyptal.com/)

Paul Alciatore
12-02-2013, 02:33 AM
You can get coil varnish in a spray can from McMaster.

kbertoson
12-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Why bother with saving that? Pull-A-Part North Atlanta shows them for $8.87 plus a $2.00 core charge. There must be yard in your area that are comparable in price.