PDA

View Full Version : For The Railway Buffs

Willy
12-01-2013, 01:30 PM
I know there are a few railway enthusiasts on this forum so I thought that I would share this very interesting video clip (about 15 min.) of some truly interesting and unique trains, locomotives, and other rail vehicles.
There are a lot of locomotives in this video that I personally had never heard of or seen before. Hopefully some of you will find it as interesting as I did.

Strange & Extreme TRAINS & Rail Vehicles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iajwyx02Hqw)

lynnl
12-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Ah, finally a video clip where the music accompaniment is actually an enhancement rather than distraction!

...there being no mono- or dialogue being drowned out.

PStechPaul
12-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Very cool! :D I had my own engineer's pinstripe suit (with escape hatch in the seat), and my own locomotive that I rode on the sidewalks of Baltimore in the early 1950s (probably more like 1954 when I was five):

http://pauleschoen.com/photos/paul-tra.jpg

CarlByrns
12-01-2013, 07:06 PM
A lot of those locos were actually pretty normal for their time and home roads (the Garratt was real popular in South Africa). The rotary snowplow is a Canadian invention, but most them were built in the US. They are still used today. The jet engine on a railcar concept is used around here to clear snow out of switches.

The Russian stuff has a style all its own.

sasquatch
12-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Interesting stuff there Willy!! Thanks for posting this great view.
Seen lots of autos etc on rails but never a Jeep "Forwarder".

(Incredible amount of castings and machining to produce those monster engines!!)

krutch
12-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks for that! Being as I spent some time working for and my dad & mothers' dad retired from RR service, it was very interesting to me. My mothers' dad spent 50 years in engine service to the CB&Q plus some time RRing before entering engine service. His last few years was piloting the Zephyrs (some of the first diesels) to and from Chicago.
After 35+ years away from that life, I still can't ignore RR stuff. Must be in the blood or something.

Tilaran
12-03-2013, 02:17 AM
Cool video. First time I'd seen the jet attempts.
Chicagoan railroad family ? My grandfather and old man were a C & O , B & O, Nickelplate turned N&W out of Ohio then to Ch_kago.
My Brother signed onto the N&W in ? 68-69 and married a bimbo whos dad was a bigwig at the Ill. Central. He just retired last year( NS now).45 years down the crapper.

Back when merica had an "A", it truly was #1.Incredible feat of industry ! Greed and ego killed it like everything else. Now it's railroads are a pathetic joke. Damn shame. Seems I recall one fell of it's tracks just a couple of days ago.