View Full Version : Yet Another Pie-In-The-Sky Free Energy Farce

john hobdeclipe
12-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Can these people really be serious?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/11/131129101759.htm

randyjaco
12-02-2013, 07:46 PM
John,
It is plausible, but here are going to be a lot of gotchas. I'd like to hear more about it. One thing is for sure, It ain't gonna be free. It is going to cost somebody

Randy

velocette
12-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Can these people really be serious?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/11/131129101759.htm

Depends on the amount of illegal substance from south of the border you have consumed as to how successful it looks.

Plausible but not very cost effective

Mike Nash
12-02-2013, 07:55 PM
It is going to cost somebody

The energy has to come from the vehicles which translates to lower fuel efficiency and greater pollution. Never mind the washboard effect. Anyone that ever tried one of those bike headlights that had a generator rubbing against the tire knows it sure wasn't "free" energy.

goose
12-02-2013, 07:58 PM
I find it an intriguing idea. Use the weight and kinetic energy of moving objects to generate compressed air. Of course, in practice most likely would not work as an economically effective source of energy. The infrastructure costs would be enormous, as well as maintenance costs. Highway "hum" would become, what, with millions of tiny air compressors firing continually? The pedestrian concept sounds like a trip and fall hazard.

The Artful Bodger
12-02-2013, 08:16 PM
If a system could be arranged to capture the energy released by braking traffic going down hill or approaching a red light (two examples) that would cost nothing in fuel consumption and would save wear on vehicle brakes while releasing energy to be used for some useful purpose. So the idea is not totally daft.

Paul Alciatore
12-02-2013, 08:47 PM
I have to agree with Mike. The energy comes from the vehicles so every driver that rolls over on of the ramps will be using just a bit more gas. It transfers the cost of generating the energy to the drivers. It would be more efficient to just add a cent or two to the gasoline tax and use that money to build and fuel generating plants that would be a lot more efficient than the autos and this Rube Goldberg mechanism to extract some of the energy that the cars generate.

Spending the money to improve the roads will increase the efficiency of the autos and save in the cost of energy used by them. Rough roads or potholes all require more energy to move a vehicle over them than smooth, well maintained ones. Again, the money saved would be better used in an efficient generating plant.

Jeees, I hope the tree hugers don't see that idea. We'll be wasting billions and billions on it.

As for extracting the energy while braking, that has been done, but in the vehicles, not in the road. It seems to be a lot more practical and probably more efficient that way. I mean, how would you transmit that energy to the road?

A.K. Boomer
12-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Right there's no mention of using it at stops and such,,, just installing more of them where traffic is slow to reap the same rewards, not to mention using about the lowest efficiency form of return energy one can possibly think of - compressed air...

and talk about infrastructure - lot's to installing and lots to consistently wear out,,,

bottom line ---- never trust a man who's name is " Héctor Ricardo Macías Hernández"

Willy
12-02-2013, 09:19 PM
It's Mexico for crying out loud. What's wrong with solar panels?

loose nut
12-02-2013, 09:33 PM
It's not even new, they where messing around with that in Britain a few years back.

J Tiers
12-02-2013, 10:13 PM
It's basically stealing. Plain old theft.

We steal so little from each person that they will never complain, but if we do it enough, it adds up.

Every impact wears the tires, the suspension, and takes a little extra energy from the vehicles, energy that you paid for at the gas pump. But so little that *you* won't notice just one or two.

if the city streets were peppered with these things, then it would be an issue, for sure.

I'd happily accept a penny per $10,000 from every person ("person" now includes corporate entities) in the state..... And that would be about the same level of theft if I did it by some form of computer manipulation.

The Artful Bodger
12-02-2013, 10:31 PM
As for extracting the energy while braking, that has been done, but in the vehicles, not in the road. It seems to be a lot more practical and probably more efficient that way. I mean, how would you transmit that energy to the road?

Anything that takes energy from a passing vehicle tends to slow the vehicle.

The Artful Bodger
12-02-2013, 10:33 PM
It's basically stealing. Plain old theft.

Not if it was used to extract energy from vehicles going down a hill or braking to a stop. In those cases the vehicle owner/operator would get a bonus in reduced brake wear.

A.K. Boomer
12-02-2013, 10:43 PM
hah, not if your a Prius driver,,, you would be cursing them for the lack of battery charge and the more money at the pump...

Willy
12-02-2013, 10:43 PM
I have to ask, what would be the time frame for a return on investment for such a left handed way of obtaining this "free" energy?
The associated maintenance costs alone would be staggering for the energy recouped never mind the initial infrastructure costs.
May as well put little propellers on the side of the road in order to catch the wind from passing traffic and convert it into even more "free" energy.

outback
12-02-2013, 10:44 PM
In Illinois the roads are so rough know one would notice little ramps in the pavement to generate power.

Back in the seventy's I remember they had an ideal to have floating buoys on the ocean. As the wave action raised and lowered the buoy hydraulic cylinders would be actuated creating energy by pumping a fluid. Never heard about it again. Another far fetched idea.

Here in DeKalb County we must have over 100 wind turbines. Opinions are mixed on the value of wind energy. We never hear if the wind turbines are making money or not. I see huge wind turbine blades being trucked down I-80 so they are still building wind turbines. I have a hunch someone is quietly getting rich off those turbines.
Jim

J Tiers
12-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Not if it was used to extract energy from vehicles going down a hill or braking to a stop. In those cases the vehicle owner/operator would get a bonus in reduced brake wear.

D'yeh think that's what they meant? Not from what I read.

And less brake wear? maybe, traded for suspension and tire wear.

Paul Alciatore
12-03-2013, 02:34 AM
Yea, but how does the driver control it? The devil is in the details.

Anything that takes energy from a passing vehicle tends to slow the vehicle.

Paul Alciatore
12-03-2013, 02:40 AM
I remember that. It was in an article in Pop Mechanics or Mechanics Illustrated. I liked the idea of capturing tidal water at high tide and then letting it out at low tide through a water turbine/generator. But both of them would be fantastically expensive to build and maintain in relation to the energy that they would generate. Just not practical.

Back in the seventy's I remember they had an ideal to have floating buoys on the ocean. As the wave action raised and lowered the buoy hydraulic cylinders would be actuated creating energy by pumping a fluid. Never heard about it again. Another far fetched idea.

Jim

Beazld
12-03-2013, 06:08 AM
How about Moon Pie in the sky?
http://www.shimz.co.jp/english/theme/dream/lunaring.html

Rich Carlstedt
12-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Most of these people were the ones that received a "failure" grade in Physics class
Energy can not be created, only transformed...... they never learned that !
You can't take from one without affecting the other

So they try to "save the planet" and have zero thoughts on the above
Wind generators slow Earths rotation....
Wave action restriction can also affect the planets rotation..but in a small way

The posters original comments about the Mexican approach is right on ...why not make all sidewalks the same way ?
then walkers would generate power by going up a set of stairs.

Rich

Allan Waterfall
12-03-2013, 12:04 PM
It's not even new, they where messing around with that in Britain a few years back.
IIRC it was a supermarket that had a system installed where cars drove over it into the car park,the electrical energy generated powered all the checkout tills.

Allan

krutch
12-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Just wait for the traffic jams and brownouts!

velocette
12-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Hi
"Wind generators slow Earths rotation....
Wave action restriction can also affect the planets rotation..but in a small way"
Surely the wind action is generated from solar energy and the wave action is from the moon and the earth hurtling through space massive residual energy from the "Big Bang"
No such thing as a "Free Lunch".
All we have had is theory based on personal opinion. It seems that we still have sellers of the new "Scientific Snake Oil" to grab money for their own ends.

Eric

Low-alloy
12-03-2013, 09:19 PM
The science news story I am keeping an eye on is the latest in cold fusion (or whatever they think it is). <http://phys.org/news/2013-11-italian-company-portable-cold-fusion.html#ajTabs> has a story about an Italian company (ECAT) building cold fusion plants for sale early next year. The website phys.org seems like a reasonably good science mag type site, otherwise I would have shrugged it off as B.S..

michigan doug
12-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Yeah, bs on the free energy from car tires and pedestrians, and more bs on the ever-so-soon cold fusion plants. Either it's a total hoax that just likes the attention, or they're sniffing for investor money (YOU could get in on the ground floor of a NEW technology that will CHANGE the world.) and it's a hoax of criminal proportions.

doug