PDA

View Full Version : Amazons drones - seriously?

A.K. Boomer
12-02-2013, 09:47 PM
How out of touch with reality do you have to be to think that this is actually going to be a practical solution to anything except creating way way way more problemo's than it will solve, and some very serious ones at that,,,

what kind of freakin bubble would you have to live in all your life, I don't even know where to begin...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/02/tech/innovation/amazon-drones-questions/

Think millions and millions of unmanned "sorties" going off without a hitch day in and day out,,, if this gets the green the fumets are about to hit the windmill and from about every conceivable angle possible and some not even imaginable... Yet... crazy.

lost_cause
12-02-2013, 09:54 PM
it's easy to assume it would work great if you wear the correct rose colored glasses. that way it wouldn't be possible to conceive that someone might shoot it down, since it seems that there's a good portion of the country that would love to shoot any sort of drone down, be it in texas, colorado, or wherever...

wierdscience
12-02-2013, 09:58 PM
What's the matter Boomer?Your not a Skynet Prime member?:D

On second thought this could be a good thing "I demand a roof mounted,radar controlled GUA-8 Mini-gun be installed on my house this instant,I have rights!"

hoffman
12-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Lawyers will stop them...

wierdscience
12-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Lawyers will stop them...

While using Drones to deliever summons......

loose nut
12-02-2013, 10:23 PM
What's the matter Boomer?Your not a Skynet Prime member?:D

On second thought this could be a good thing "I demand a roof mounted,radar controlled GUA-8 Mini-gun be installed on my house this instant,I have rights!"

You don't need a GUA-8 that's overkill, better to go with one of the 5.56MM versions. Up to 10K rds/min. better chance of getting a hit when you don't have proximity fused explosive shells.

Mike Amick
12-02-2013, 10:26 PM
I think, as most that it will fail. But I also think we better start getting used to the idea that
the air waves are preparing to be a frontier. With the spurt of technological advancement
in autonomous stabilization, we will see personal sky vehicles in 10 yrs. George Jetson type.

Mike

PStechPaul
12-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Of course, the drones would have their own self-defense mechanisms, as well as GPS and continuous surveillance that would pinpoint the source of any hostile action. I believe it is a serious criminal offense to shoot down an aircraft, and citizens do not control the airspace above their property. There already have been incidents of drones being shot down:

http://ktar.com/29/1649749/FAA-warns-public-not-to-shoot-at-drones-?nid=64
http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelpeck/2013/06/26/now-police-are-shooting-down-drones/
http://gillreport.com/2012/11/video-animals-rights-groups-drone-shot-down-by-hunter/
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/03/09/on-the-home-front-drones-are-quickly-shot-down-by-states.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/22/drones-dhs-program-unmanned-aircraft-police_n_1537074.html

wierdscience
12-02-2013, 10:30 PM
You don't need a GUA-8 that's overkill, better to go with one of the 5.56MM versions. Up to 10K rds/min. better chance of getting a hit when you don't have proximity fused explosive shells.

Kill joy:D

WhatTheFlux!
12-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Kill joy:D

That's exactly what I named my GUA-8! :D Gonna use 'er to get me a table-saw or a kyack next time one flies overhead.

A.K. Boomer
12-02-2013, 10:34 PM
This guy is so paranoid about his company slowly becoming a dinosaur and gradually becoming extinct -- what he need's to do is read the countless books on "how to tank a mega-company overnight"...

wierdscience
12-02-2013, 10:49 PM
That's exactly what I named my GUA-8! :D Gonna use 'er to get me a table-saw or a kyack next time one flies overhead.

I want my next Bridgeport delivered via Amazon Prime Skycrane free same day delivery:D

A.K. Boomer
12-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Im looking forward to when the rednecks capture their first one and drag it behind their cheby pic-um-up,

that's going to be one solid U-tube vid...

outlawspeeder
12-03-2013, 12:40 AM
I figured Amazon was giving Red necks something to shoot at. PULL!

Tilaran
12-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Since murkinz are allowed to have PowPows up to .50 caliber I recommend anti drone batteries and an amendment to the 'stand your ground" laws currently in operation in the illiterate zones. Lets call it "spray your air".Full auto requires a C class permit which is very expensive. Sooooooooooooo.
They'll have to be designed in Gatling format. How about 25 barrels remote controlled with an Xbox 360 control wheel using a nekked picture of Ted Nugents woohoo where the horn button goes and used as the trigger ? The air warning system could be made with Peterbuilt air horns(altho Mack's would be far more manly).
See? There is hope for a comeback and recovery !

morehelium
12-03-2013, 02:47 AM
You don't need a Barret .50 to take one of these out of the sky when a dishtowel thrown off the neighbor's roof will do just as good.

But come on guys, this is a well timed prank. Bezos isn't stupid enough to actually want delivery by drone. The lawyers would be wanking themselves delusional at the thought of a drone slicing up little Timmy as he tries to get to the drone before it can drop it's package.

Cyber Monday anyone? Hello?

Amazon found a rather ingenious way to put Amazon into the unconcious mind of everybody shopping online.

John Stevenson
12-03-2013, 03:39 AM
So you get your Gizmo sky delivered but have to jump in the car, drive 25 miles to return the empty box or get charged $50 for non old unit returned ?

Euph0ny
12-03-2013, 08:10 AM
But come on guys, this is a well timed prank.

Cyber Monday anyone? Hello?

Amazon found a rather ingenious way to put Amazon into the unconcious mind of everybody shopping online.

Agreed. IIRC, Domino's Pizza did something similar a few weeks ago. Put this in the "nice to have but never happening" category, like my jetpack and my flying car.

Reminds me I have to go and spend some money with Amazon...

vpt
12-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Flat rate box? I have a foot square steel block I need to send off.

AD5MB
12-03-2013, 09:00 AM
no way this gets past the lawyers and insurance companies. the suits will kill this ASAP.

A.K. Boomer
12-03-2013, 09:08 AM

Boy I don't know if it works that way in this case as it's basically just a shipping company and not a product creating entity,

and then there's the fact of it being in the unconscious mind as "Man that dudes wacked, im not dealing with ""those people""

I can see them dumping in enough moneys to about sink the company --- trying to cover every possible glitch and then it still failing - then the big hindsight report comes out after the company goes belly up and it states;

"We underestimated the American Redneck and not only how many there are but just how hostile of an environment they can create with simple sticks, stones, bubble gum, "chaw and chaw containers", beer bottles and cans both full and empty, caps, chain wallets, chain wallets attached to belts, chain wallets attached to belts with oversize belt buckles, chain wallets attached to belts with oversize buckles attached to suspenders,,, 2 to 5 lb Ford - Chevy - Dodge ignition key logo's... both 8 track and cassette style tape players and the use of said tape against the drones,
loose and quickly detachable outhouse door handles, every buckshot shooting firearm known to man, opossum tails knitted together, deer, elk, moose, goat, pronghorn antlers,,, tire irons, jacks (extended) and spare tires, or anything else deemed "loose and not needed" by the average redneck, cannons, pipe bombs, and large kegs of gunpowder,

and last but not least - loose teeth - sling shots, large chunks of gum diseased flesh and magnetic based plastic dashboard Jesuses... "

Abner
12-03-2013, 09:14 AM
"Sorry sir, our records indicate your package was delivered, we are not responsible for lost or stolen merchandise."

"You paid how much to have your package drone delivered????"
"I know it was too much, but it's hard to put a price on how cool I look right now."

How many unemployed delivery drivers does it take to shoot down a delivery drone?

I bet it never reaches economic viability for most deliveries(all?). As a marketing gimmick they sure have everyone talking about it.

Abner's updated rules for understanding most situations;

1) Follow the money.
2) Who gains from the attention.
3) The second guy to throw a fist is usually the one who gets caught.

Ian B
12-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Doesn't this fit in the same category as Ryanair wanting to only use one pilot, and have a steward take over in case of problems?

Free advertising...

vpt
12-03-2013, 11:41 AM
People said google cars were never gonna happen.

lazlo
12-03-2013, 12:02 PM
People said google cars were never gonna happen.

They haven't, and they won't. In fact, a lot of folks (Reddit/Slashdot) are calling the drones Amazon's response to Google's car ;)

It could also have a lot to do with the fact that Amazon has never turned a profit :)

vpt
12-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Not YET. lol

Alistair Hosie
12-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Is this not a december fools joke?
I could think of many many reasons why this (excuse the pun) will never take of, or get off the ground LOL .Can you imagine the number of accidents that could happen?
In a week when my old hometown of Glasgow in Scotland has seen the deaths of so many and injuries of even more from a *piloted* helicopter coming down on a bar full of people and causing mayhem death and serious injuries where the death toll could rise even yet.These so called drones are just accidents waiting to happen albeit on a smaller scale then you see that theft could also be a big problem it goes on and on .I seriously fail to see this ever work EVER. Alistair

oil mac
12-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Maybe, Amazon could get themselves armed drones!

Weekend_Scientist
12-03-2013, 01:32 PM
While I agree this is an attention grabbing skit for Amazon (at least for now) I can't imagine it would be anymore dangerous than a bunch of delivery trucks barreling down the freeway to deliver packages. The main problem with drones as with trucks isn't the vehicle, it is the people involved.

George Bulliss
12-03-2013, 01:37 PM
While I agree this is an attention grabbing skit for Amazon (at least for now) I can't imagine it would be anymore dangerous than a bunch of delivery trucks barreling down the freeway to deliver packages. The main problem with drones as with trucks isn't the vehicle, it is the people involved.

At least with the highway you can make a choice to be on it or not. No such choice if these things start buzzing over neighborhoods.

Weekend_Scientist
12-03-2013, 01:49 PM
At least with the highway you can make a choice to be on it or not. No such choice if these things start buzzing over neighborhoods.

I can't argue with that! I certainly wouldn't mind having more of a say in what business and government do that affect me.

Alistair Hosie
12-03-2013, 02:02 PM
They could also blow up your house if you don't tip well LOL Alistair

lwalker
12-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Never underestimate the stupidity of the American (or any other) public.

A couple years ago this (http://tacocopter.com/) was going around the tech sites. Normally intelligent, technologically oriented people were getting excited and angry because they couldn't sign up for the beta of what was an obvious joke.

The site was created by Star Simpson, someone who has somewhat of a flair for the dramatic troll. Some of you might remember her as the MIT student who was arrested at gunpoint a few years ago for wandering into Boston Logan airport with an "art project" blinking on her chest that was mistaken for a bomb...

PStechPaul
12-03-2013, 03:38 PM
This may be mostly a publicity stunt or joke, but the basic concept has some validity, and very well may be the "wave of the future". The industrial revolution originally promised to reduce human labor, and futurists postulated that machines might eventually just about eliminate the need for everyone to work long, hard hours to survive. It was a dream to create a society where everyone would have a lot of free time to enjoy life in a leisurely manner, while robots and automated processing plants would take care of dangerous, difficult, and annoying tasks.

However, our society has been conditioned by the Puritan work ethic that we must put in our 8 or 10 hours a day being productive and earning money so we can raise our standard of living, but we have also been conditioned by advertising and our competitive nature to value material items and money itself as a measure of wealth, rather than our free time and intangible assets which do not involve a lot of expense, and should be much more satisfying.

Comments about the loss of jobs because of automated shipping concepts such as this, show how much we have become totally dependent on regular employment, while in reality we should be reevaluating our social paradigms to welcome greater efficiency and less work. We have already accepted on-line shopping, which has a strong impact on retail stores, resulting in the creation and expansion of mega-stores like Walmart and large shopping malls. But consider the fact that shopkeepers and their employees probably spend most of their time sitting in their stores waiting for customers to wander in, which is hardly efficient. And also consider the millions of trucks on the road hauling freight, piloted by single human drivers in various physical and mental/emotional states, competing with other trucks as well as people in much smaller cars, causing traffic congestion, pollution, roadway degradation, frustration, and serious accidents.

Most of these human entities could be replaced by automated systems for shopping (as has already become the norm), and shipping could be accomplished much more efficiently, and safely, by rail transport where only a few personnel are needed to operate a train which carries the equivalent of hundreds of trucks and drivers. It has also been proposed that it would be more efficient for most household goods to be ordered and delivered by a network of vehicles (which would most likely be electric and possibly autonomous), so that people would usually not need to make trips to various stores to get items they need. We could order our groceries and other items on-line, and receive them within a day just like we get our mail.

We should look at the big picture to see how much we have become dependent on concepts that will soon be untenable as our energy resources diminish and demand supersedes supply and drives prices out of reach. Our obsession with material items and electronic entertainment devices, and desire for more money and bigger houses and cars advertised on the basis of aggressive and competitive driving, is fueled by corporate entities and stock speculators who require an ever-expanding economy to "make money from money". Instead of having machines and gadgets work as our slaves, we have become slaves to our technology. We must realize that this is unsustainable, and our present lifestyle and social norms have become unhealthy and doomed to meltdown. But it can be a good thing if we work toward enjoyment of life itself, and not the artificial and ultimately meaningless goals of ever increasing conspicuous consumption, and distraction from reality through our addiction to electronic entertainment and communication.

WhatTheFlux!
12-03-2013, 04:24 PM
In order for this to work, there will have to be a protected air-travel corridor for just drones. Protected bandwidth for flight-control/tracking. And severe restrictions on where and how these things can fly and land.

What I see... is a contract with a local delivery-service. Lets take the local Fox Delivery Company that we use from time to time...

I can see you selecting "gotta have it now" on the website... the internal process determines that the closest distro-center is down-state... that it will take an hour to pull, package and load into a drone. Two hours flight-time (based on the weather), it lands at the Fox Delivery Company which unloads the drone, hits the "return-home" function and loads your item into a courier-van and brings it to you.

This could on paper revolutionize "same day shipping" in many cases, in major hub cities... the day of a little robot delivering your order to your doorstep is a long long ways off... it may never happen.

WhatTheFlux!
12-03-2013, 04:26 PM
And with that I just figured out/solved the mechanics of Drone Delivery. This is part of why Amazon threw this out there, they have folks reading various feeds for ideas/solutions/suggestions. When Drone Assisted Delivery becomes a reality based on the model I suggested above, remember I came up with it first. ;) So did a bunch of other people I have no doubt.

PStechPaul
12-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Perhaps there could be drone landing sites on the roof of local businesses, so all you would need to do is drive a couple miles to the store and pick it up. For direct delivery, you may need to get an approved landing zone. This would be a great way to accomplish delivery to remote areas that are difficult to reach by road, or even in congested city neighborhoods (which may also be dangerous to delivery people due to crime). Becoming a local delivery point may also open up a "cottage industry" by providing pickup and delivery services within walking, cycling, or neighborhood vehicle access.

This service could also be adopted by the USPS, so you could just go to the post office to get your quick delivery item, and it could also be part of the UPS or FedEx networks which have facilities at Staples and other stores. Larger drones could handle larger and heavier items, or multiple items. They are probably much more efficient than the present fleet of delivery trucks, and could easily be powered by small electric motors and batteries, which could be quick-charged at pickup/delivery points. For more remote home delivery, homeowners could have a recharging station and the value of the recharge could be deducted from the delivery price. This could easily be automated, and intermediate points could be used to extend the range of delivery.

I like the idea of Drone Assisted Delivery, or "DAD". Almost as good as Guaranteed Overnight Delivery, or "GOD"...:D

Weston Bye
12-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Drone defense? I'm no redneck, but visions of relatively safe Nerf machine guns or aerosol canisters of Silly String come to mind - just for sport, mind you.:o

PStechPaul
12-03-2013, 06:27 PM
A fishing rod with Kevlar line might be very effective.

"But really, your Honor, I was just practicing my casting when this funny looking bird went for the bait..." :rolleyes:

jdunmyer
12-03-2013, 07:07 PM
I believe that the proposal is only for packages weighing less than 6#, which is the greater share of Amazon's packages.

You guys laugh, but imagine people in 1940 being told about people walking on the moon. Or even, overnight package delivery from the other coast.

mayfieldtm
12-03-2013, 11:52 PM
No reason for it not to work.
People have been working on "Swarm" software for years. Just the ticket for this sort of thing.
The ongoing cost for a delivery starts with the cost of electricity to charge the battery for a 10 mile round trip ticket.
If someone is successful with this, you could see a lot of local businesses using this type delivery system.
If I could order an oil filter from a local auto parts store and have it delivered pronto for less the the gas, time, wear and tear on my car, I will jump on that.

My first worry about this proposal is the drop off point. Will it land on my kid or roof?
Oh, and they had better be dead quiet! else I'll help you-all to shoot them down myself. And then face a stiff penalty from the law.

Tom M.

lazlo
12-04-2013, 12:23 AM
No reason for it not to work.

The ongoing cost for a delivery starts with the cost of electricity to charge the battery for a 10 mile round trip ticket.

Have you noticed that UPS is retrofitting all their trucks as hybrids? It's not because they're greenies, it's because every dollar spent on delivery is multiplied by millions of packages/day.

So you're going to charge a bunch of quad copter batteries at X% efficiency and it's going to fly to the delivery site with electric motors with Y% efficiency. Now compare the total energy output to a vehicle carrying several hundred packages in a wheeled vehicle running on a very efficient gasoline or hybrid engine. It's not even close.

wierdscience
12-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Have you noticed that UPS is retrofitting all their trucks as hybrids? It's not because they're greenies, it's because every dollar spent on delivery is multiplied by millions of packages/day.

So you're going to charge a bunch of quad copter batteries at X% efficiency and it's going to fly to the delivery site with electric motors with Y% efficiency. Now compare the total energy output to a vehicle carrying several hundred packages in a wheeled vehicle running on a very efficient gasoline or hybrid engine. It's not even close.

Although the drones would have two distinct advantages over trucks.One being line of sight transit and two being constant motion,no constant stops and starts once in the air.

Forrest Addy
12-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Wonder what an unauthorized vollyball net would do the roll-out?

SteveF
12-04-2013, 07:44 AM
You guys laugh, but imagine people in 1940 being told about people walking on the moon. Or even, overnight package delivery from the other coast.

Or new battery technology that will allow something the size of a D cell battery and costs $5 to replace the lead-acid batteries in our cars.

Personally I just hate it when basic physics and real world practicality gets in the way of new technology.

Steve

Noitoen
12-04-2013, 08:39 AM
On the other end, they could always try this method. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/africa/8248056.stm :cool:

Edwin Dirnbeck
12-04-2013, 08:40 AM
it's easy to assume it would work great if you wear the correct rose colored glasses. that way it wouldn't be possible to conceive that someone might shoot it down, since it seems that there's a good portion of the country that would love to shoot any sort of drone down, be it in texas, colorado, or wherever...

Why would an intelligent person look up in the sky and ''love'' to shoot something down? Edwin

A.K. Boomer
12-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Wonder what an unauthorized vollyball net would do the roll-out?

I was thinking of those explosive nets that they use to capture birds and stuff, then the net could be dragged by one large rope into a dark room where the units could be disassembled and maybe their parts used for high performance RC craft,

I mean not that I would do anything like that - Im just saying, Do you think they will have serial #'s on everything to prevent this from happening? just curious...

jkilroy
12-04-2013, 10:26 AM
This idea makes me think of two things

One, what goes up *must* come down, and it must come down somewhere

Two, Lawyers

jdunmyer
12-04-2013, 10:30 AM
This scheme has progressed farther than most of us realize.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaeD3juIMAAF4Ek.jpg

TRX
12-04-2013, 12:46 PM
All these drones would have to give way to general aviation... an ultralight colliding with a drone of any size could be ugly.

What I'm trying to figure is, model aircraft aren't particularly fuel-efficient, and model helicopters are even worse. An electric quadcopter can lift its own weight for a little while, then the batteries are dead. And batteries are heavier than fuel, which limits payload...

Without VTOL, your delivery system is going to have to drop the package as it passes by, unless you want to take a chance of the wind blowing a parachuted package off into a busy street.

Did someone perfect a zero-point energy source while I wasn't paying attention? The numbers just aren't adding up for me.

Mike Amick
12-04-2013, 12:57 PM
I think your right on about the power drain. As far as VTOL .. these things are the
the very essence of VTOL. I think the whole thing is a joke, but not an impossibility.

lazlo
12-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Why would an intelligent person look up in the sky and ''love'' to shoot something down? Edwin

You don't have a location listed, but assuming you're not in the 'States: as part of the escalation of domestic espionage our government has become quote fond of, Federal agencies are starting to use military surveillance drones for warrantless surveillance in the 'States.

So some counties in Colorado and Texas have passed "open season" laws allowing citizens to "hunt" drones that are lingering over their property. :)

A.K. Boomer
12-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Agreed - Li-Po's have totally changed the ball game of RC flight both for helicopters and planes but not to the degree needed for this to become practical...

WhatTheFlux!
12-04-2013, 01:20 PM
So how much laser do I need to render one of these inoperable mid-flight? I'm not talking total incineration I want it to hit the ground for salvage purposes.

Problem I see... the NSA putting the screws to Amazon and making them mount little cameras or wireless sniffers on these critters. A fleet of drones with access to every nook and cranny of the United States under the guise of "commerce?" Some NSA engineer is furiously jerking off to the idea right now (your welcome, asshole. send me my cut -- you know where I live.)

lazlo
12-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Although the drones would have two distinct advantages over trucks.One being line of sight transit and two being constant motion,no constant stops and starts once in the air.

Good point Darin, but UPS delivers those packages in parallel strings: to you and all your neighbors, whereas Bezos' quadcopters would have to do each delivery point to point.

In any case, there's not a quadcopter on Earth that can deliver a 5 pound package on a 20 mile round-trip (what Bezos claimed on 60 Minutes).
Like Steve says, unless there's some radical improvement in battery technology...

lazlo
12-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Problem I see... the NSA putting the screws to Amazon and making them mount little cameras or wireless sniffers on these critters. A fleet of drones with access to every nook and cranny of the United States under the guise of "commerce?" Some NSA engineer is furiously jerking off to the idea right now (your welcome, asshole. send me my cut -- you know where I live.)

LOL, good point! That bears the question: what is the NSA doing with the exhaustive set of street-side photographs Google has taken of every square inch of North America? You know -- the raw images with everyone's faces and the street addresses and license plates not redacted. Shudder! :eek:

wierdscience
12-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Agreed - Li-Po's have totally changed the ball game of RC flight both for helicopters and planes but not to the degree needed for this to become practical...

I wouldn't be so sure of that.What todays high performance acrobatic helios are capable of could put this well into the realm of possibility.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn5rMt-LmDQ

Now imagine that same battery system,not doing acrobatics,but instead a nice lazy,limited to 1G,optimized computer controlled flight path.

vpt
12-04-2013, 01:53 PM
The future will continue to come at you. It is just a matter to time before we have near "instant" package deliveries and personal flying crafts, and whatnot. Going to the moon for lunch will be fun someday.

wierdscience
12-04-2013, 01:53 PM
LOL, good point! That bears the question: what is the NSA doing with the exhaustive set of street-side photographs Google has taken of every square inch of North America? You know -- the raw images with everyone's faces and the street addresses and license plates not redacted. Shudder! :eek:

NSA is the only government agency that listens to the people.:eek:

lazlo
12-04-2013, 01:57 PM
NSA is the only government agency that listens to the people.:eek:

The NSA customer service motto: "You speak, we listen!" :)

wierdscience
12-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Good point Darin, but UPS delivers those packages in parallel strings: to you and all your neighbors, whereas Bezos' quadcopters would have to do each delivery point to point.

In any case, there's not a quadcopter on Earth that can deliver a 5 pound package on a 20 mile round-trip (what Bezos claimed on 60 Minutes).
Like Steve says, unless there's some radical improvement in battery technology...

Or a quadrotor design built around a LTA lifting body.If the bag is supporting the weight,then only the propulsion and flight path need be handled by the rotors.

Similar to this concept,but much smaller and VTOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3n5cUaG5fg&list=PLB2EF49D0183455F2

Weston Bye
12-04-2013, 02:36 PM
having just seen the second installment of the hunger games, I more favor the little parachute delivery scheme. Just perfect the cheap parasail guidance package and let gravity do the work after ejecting the packages from a jet flying at altitude. The customer would then cut off the parachute, uncouple the parcel and drop the return-addressed guidance package in the mail for a refund.

Just be careful about shipping a lathe or bridgeport in such a manner. I have seen you-tube videos of military air drops gone bad.

CCWKen
12-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Today's editorial cartoon was pretty funny. It showed Santa's sleigh on the ground with a For Sale sign, reindeer eating out of a garbage can and the sky filled with Amazon drones. :)

Well, I guess you had to be there.

Danl
12-04-2013, 07:42 PM
And how long before thieves figure out ways of hijacking these little packages? Perhaps redirecting to other locations..... hmmm

Dan

lost_cause
12-04-2013, 07:52 PM
And how long before thieves figure out ways of hijacking these little packages? Perhaps redirecting to other locations..... hmmm

Dan

like this?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/hijacking-drone-uav-aircraft-texas-students-prove-hackers/story?id=16699686

Abner
12-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Of course range could be extended by using a "Mr.Fusion" coupled with a Flux Capacitor, thereby making deliveries this way very do-able.

derekm
12-05-2013, 02:40 PM

whats wrong with a bow and arrow?

Rosco-P
12-05-2013, 05:04 PM
My airspace is defended by a pair of these that have been heavily modified by Red Jacket Firearms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTs7VRFV36c

jdunmyer
12-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Don't shoot the drones! See: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/planes-uavs/drone-is-not-a-four-letter-word-16228330?click=pm_news

ckelloug
12-05-2013, 06:47 PM
It may be related to the fact that FAA is just starting to work on the rules for drone airspace rules. . . of which I heard people gossiping about at work today.

lazlo
12-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Don't shoot the drones! See: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/planes-uavs/drone-is-not-a-four-letter-word-16228330?click=pm_news

"Try to relax—unmanned aircraft are not here to hurt you. So try not to shoot them."

It's not the drone that hurts you, it's the high explosive warhead on the Hellfire missile that hurts you -- LOL! :)

http://www.teknologeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/drone.jpg

wierdscience
12-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Don't fear the Reaper LOL:D

boslab
12-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Hope amazon dont start using missiles to defend thier drones!
Mark

MichaelP
12-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Healthy competition:

http://www.rockcitytimes.com/walmart-install-mini-surface-air-missiles-store-roofs-shoot-amazon-drones/

wierdscience
12-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Thanks,I needed a new keyboard:D