PDA

View Full Version : More Employment Games -- Fake Job Openings.

WhatTheFlux!
12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm sitting here at my desk at my Brother's business when the front-desk operator pokes her head in. Tells me she's got several folks here from ____ Staffing in regards to the job opening that was posted... Next time make sure that this gets listed on her schedule so she can have cookies and coffee ready and the conference room ready!

Alarm 1 -- We're not hiring.

Alarm 2 -- We're NOT hiring.

Alarm 3 -- We'd never use an agency.

I ask her to send the first one in. He's "Bob" from _____ Agency reporting for his first day of work. Hands me a time-ticket with the name, address and dates and time of the alleged assignment along with a contact B. Richardson. (Not my name but very close).

#2, 3, 4, and 5, all the same. I call the owner out, HR, and our security person.

Quick meeting... no one in the plant is hiring, everyone is aware of our no-temps policy and we've never even HEARD of _____ Staffing. Google them, they have a rather crude HTML website, a page of listing (including "molding operator $13.75 an hour, Tonawanda Area) and a contact number.

We sent everyone home, over much rage and grumbling... and as I speak HR, the owner and our lawyer are over at this staffing agency right now.

I was informed... that this is actually the third time an agency has sent workers over here with time-tickets (different agency each time) and a couple of folks are telling me this is the latest hiring scam. Apparently by listing you as hired, then immediately discharged due to no assignment/assignment ended the agency can avoid dealing with UI / paying fees/taxes/surcharges related to. And it does something with a person's total UI claim, it somehow dilutes the total amount a person can claim.

If that's even remotely true they picked the wrong company to play with... The owner and I don't tolerate this kind of crap, as we've both been through every imaginable employment scam, game and revolving door scheme you can think of.

mattthemuppet
12-04-2013, 10:43 AM
jeez, just think of the poor sods who thought they were in with the chance of a job too. Buggers.

TGTool
12-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Very interesting. Not one I would have thought of. I can imagine trying to play with UI stuff, but it takes a certain amount of balls to actually send a group of folks over to some place you know damn well is irrelevant. It seems like this sort of thing would have a natural limit when the gossip gets around to both employers and job seekers about who's good to deal with and who's a complete jerk outfit. I suppose these business can just fold when they've run the course and open under a different name like boiler room operations.

It does make me wonder what an enforcement agency might charge them with. Impersonation of an actual organization? Corporations are persons now, remember. Charge the agency with disorderly conduct and creating a nuisance? Relieving themselves in a public place?

hoffman
12-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Was a temp for years but W9. Never qualified for any UI when work dried up...

chipmaker4130
12-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Its just Obama gettin' the employment numbers up for Christmas.

WhatTheFlux!
12-04-2013, 11:48 AM

My suspicion is that it's a little fakey-fake company set up by one of the larger national "chain" services. They're doing this in an effort to get people off the UI dole for whatever reason.

Whatever, scam has been outed and I will make sure everyone knows about it going forward.

rode2rouen
12-04-2013, 12:46 PM

Thanx for that pearl of whizdumb, Rush. :rolleyes:

Rex

WhatTheFlux!
12-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanx for that pearl of whizdumb, Rush. :rolleyes:

Rex

Politics aside, NY State releases "seasonally adjusted" numbers every quarter. Those numbers do not reflect "summer" or "winter" specific jobs like roofing or snow-removal... and they are adjusted to compensate for people laid off once the busy summer-season is over. They then adjust them further to make the holiday-specific retail-hiring rush out to be a huge upswell in employment, and then the next quarter they mask those layoffs with the "spring hiring" of temp-workers.

Actual unemployment numbers are 10-15% higher than what Albany reports, all you have to do is drive by the welfare office and see the line of folks around the block and up the street. And the line is a veritable RAINBOW -- it's not just one demographic sector.

Worst part is, the politicians we've had for the last three decades are responsible for letting this happen.

Notice I assign blame to the ENTIRE government not just one team or the other.

WhatTheFlux!
12-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Ok turns out it's a get-rich-quick scam someone is running. It's become quite well known in the area, we're just the latest target.

Fake agency sets up a web-site, brings some people in, gives them a ticket with a start time and start date at a random company. They are preying on the fact that certain large companies use multiple agencies and no one at the employee door knows one from the other. These poor SOBs start working, work for a few days then are told they have been discharged from the assignment, and the fake-agency sends an official looking bill to the targeted company. Again they are 'banking' on the fact that someone in the office just pays the bill without checking, on the assumption that this is a real bonafide agency that the company is contracted with.

The SOBs caught in the middle go unpaid, have no recourse and the DOL won't/can't get involved as it's a purely criminal matter.

What a wonderful world we live in, where disposable labor has grown to the point where someone can pull this stunt off. I'm impressed.

hoffman
12-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Unchecked capitalism ultimately leads to brutal exploitation of the proletariat...

GNM109
12-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Unchecked capitalism ultimately leads to brutal exploitation of the proletariat...

Da, Komrad. Da.

fjk
12-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Under capitalism, man exploits his fellow man.
Under communism it's the other way around.
-- John Kenneth Galbraith