PDA

View Full Version : delicate electrical connectors

jdunmyer
12-04-2013, 08:54 PM
I have a new iPhone and wonder just how durable the power/data connector really is. It requires a fair amount of pressure to connect/disconnect the cable, and I can imagine having trouble, well before the contract is up. With most such connectors, I often lube them with Corrosion-X, Red Cramoline, or dielectric grease, more for the electrical characteristics than the lubrication, but...

Will lubing the connector hurt anything, or am I worrying about nothing? What's your favorite product for such an application?

FWIW: I've found Corrosion-X to be Some Good Stuff on automotive connectors. Solved a problem with the ABS on my 1994 Dodge p/u that I had already spent several hundred $$$ on.

darryl
12-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I would do it. I would try to avoid any lube that has copper powder or the like in it- usually it's in there to enhance the connection, but I'm not so sure it's good when the pins are so close together like they are these days.

You definitely don't want to live with high insertion forces for too long- just imagine trying to repair broken pc board connections on something like that. Can be a real nightmare.

jlevie
12-04-2013, 10:07 PM
If an IPhone 5, the force needed to seat the connector is that required to open the spring loaded retainers that engage the detents on the side of the connector. An IPhone 4, or earlier, has the spring loaded retainers as a part of the connector. The electrical contacts are wiper types and will survive a huge number of matings and de-matings.

Lubricant is neither needed nor advisable.

macona
12-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Do NOT do it. All you will do is make a paste of that and the dust from your pockets. These kind of connectors are designed with lots of insertions, you will probably never wear yours out.

I have had my iPhone 5 for a long time now and the new lightning connector is great. Beats the old 30 pin or a mini or micro-usb, It is way more durable. The one thing I do have to do is clean out impacted lint out of the connector every 6 months or so.

Paul Alciatore
12-05-2013, 04:13 AM
On something like an IPhone, lubrication is probably not a good idea. There is grit everywhere and the lube will keep it attached to the contacts. When you plug and un-plug you will be wearing them away. If you want to do anything, a light squirt of 99% alcohol occasionally will help to clean the contacts. DO NOT use enough for any to get into the display or you will have trouble. Just a bit at the connector. And don't use alcohol which is less pure. The remaining percentage is mostly water and you don't want too much of that in there either.

jdunmyer
12-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I kinda figured that the connector should handle the normal use/wear & tear, but you never know. I prefer a mini phone-type connector for power, but I'm not the designer.

FWIW: it's an iPhone 5c. Lotsa fun and a huge step up from my TracFone. Of course, a huge step up in cost, too!

Paul Alciatore
12-05-2013, 11:21 AM
The mini phone connectors are not a good choice for power, even low Voltage and current. They often short momentarily when connecting and unconnecting and can even be shorted for a long time if partially inserted. Different power supplies can react differently to these short and long duration shorts. Also, it can introduce spikes to the circuit, due to the interaction of the power supply to these shorts. And of course, you can short them when the plug comes in contact with any other metal object.

Oh, and then there is the danger of accidentally inserting a power cord in an audio input or output. This can easily cause circuit damage.

It is better to use the power style connectors of similar size. You know, the ones with a central pin and sleeve that come in at least a dozen different, non compatible sizes.

Thanks for the feedback! I kinda figured that the connector should handle the normal use/wear & tear, but you never know. I prefer a mini phone-type connector for power, but I'm not the designer.

FWIW: it's an iPhone 5c. Lotsa fun and a huge step up from my TracFone. Of course, a huge step up in cost, too!

macona
12-05-2013, 12:42 PM
That's what's nice about the new apple connector. Full power is not applied till the phone handshakes with the ICs in the connector.