PDA

View Full Version : Old greybeard has the right idea/tool for lifting

Guido
12-05-2013, 08:00 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-0duxx3RHTE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Guy must have got the hoist ideas from his mechanics training in the airforce. Collapsed machine probably pulled down highway at 55 mph, rigged up at launching ramp, self propelled to target location, retrieved sunk vehicle and returned to warm shop in half a day.

Same machine could be used to lift/load/unload nice sized mills/lathes during the summer.

Edwin Dirnbeck
12-05-2013, 08:49 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-0duxx3RHTE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Guy must have got the hoist ideas from his mechanics training in the airforce. Collapsed machine probably pulled down highway at 55 mph, rigged up at launching ramp, self propelled to target location, retrieved sunk vehicle and returned to warm shop in half a day.

Same machine could be used to lift/load/unload nice sized mills/lathes during the summer.

I cant get a picture to appear ,but it sounds interesting

alanganes
12-05-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm guessing it is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0duxx3RHTE

JSR
12-05-2013, 09:08 PM
I trimmed off the unneeded parts and here is the video. www.youtube.com/embed/-0duxx3RHTE Interesting piece of machinery

John

elf
12-05-2013, 10:13 PM
I like the Russian version better :)

sasquatch
12-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Some great videos there, the Skidder one was interesting!

Charles Lessig
12-06-2013, 08:25 AM
I like the Russian version better :)

This is the one I liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzukKKWd_n0

rowbare
12-06-2013, 12:11 PM
I trimmed off the unneeded parts and here is the video. www.youtube.com/embed/-0duxx3RHTE Interesting piece of machinery

John

Did you notice the label on the side of the machine? Gotta wonder about a place where enough people drive vehicles through the ice to warrant an "Ice Recovery Unit"...

bob

velocette
12-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Hi
Did you notice the label on the side of the machine? Gotta wonder about a place where enough people drive vehicles through the ice to warrant an "Ice Recovery Unit"...
This is a an interesting video that raises more than a few questions. The hole in the ice is a perfect oblong.
How thick is the ice to support the rather small skis that take all the load.
Why do you need to be on inside of the lifting frame no place to go when things go wrong
Was this the truck that the dog ran under when he retrieved the stick of dynamite that his master had thrown to blast a hole in the ice to go fishing.

Eric

JoeLee
12-06-2013, 08:30 PM
I would like to know who dove down and hooked the chain up to the truck.

JL...................

sasquatch
12-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Divers hook the chains up. They wear a cold water wet suit, they do stuff like this all the time, and they also have practice/training sessions in the winter through a hole they cut in the ice, usually over a sunken boat etc or some object they use for training purposes.

Guido
12-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Around most parts of civilization, there are rescue people available who train for and work all kinds of emergencies, from vertical mineshaft rescues, to frozen lake depths, to hazardous chem spills, to you name it.

They used to be called Firemen, but on days off are always available for a little moonlighting. $$$$$$$$

vincemulhollon
12-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Gotta wonder about a place where enough people drive vehicles through the ice to warrant an "Ice Recovery Unit".

Locally its a macho thing to be the last truck / ice shanty / snowmobile / ice fisherman out on the ice each spring. Alcohol is a significant factor.

Ian B
12-08-2013, 08:30 AM
This one didn't go quite so well, the owner now has a SWB pickup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJt7uKX5qEk

Ian

sasquatch
12-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Re: Vinces post about being that last one out there, There is also a Macho thing about being the "FIRST" one out there!!!
And yup alchol is a significant cause at times but not with most as the laws here concerning booze are deadly strict.
It's more a case of people with their brains numbed , sort of clueless attitudes.