PDA

View Full Version : How old is this Hunter alignment machine?

winchman
12-06-2013, 09:12 AM
It's in a commercial building that's for sale nearby.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/ZoeCoolidge005_zps9fbb64fe.jpg

There doesn't appear to be any way to raise the platforms, but they do move sideways on the tracks in the floor. I'd guess it's from the '50s. Closest I could find in Google images is a Hunter Lite-A-Line, but they look newer than this one.

Joe Rogers
12-06-2013, 12:54 PM
My guess is newer than the 50's but earlier than the 70's. I have used a similar machine in the 80's. Setting the toe on that one would strain my aging body for sure.
Joe

J Tiers
12-06-2013, 08:37 PM
You could ask Hunter, they are just a bit North of me on I-70 near the airport. My suspicion is that they won't know. Or won't want to find out or tell you.

They used to be notorious, Hunter and a company called Bitrode, as the low pay engineering jobs that lots of people rotated through on their way to a real job.

JoeLee
12-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Looks like early 70's, or late 60's. The Ford dealership had one like that.

JL.............

vpt
12-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Honestly those old beam and mirror alignment machines are only worth about scrap price.

Even a wired head machine can be had cheap.

My buddy picked up a wireless hunter a few years ago for not a whole lot either but it is a nice machine.

Highpower
12-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Yep, the old lite-a-line. Used a couple of them in the late 70's - early 80's.

Sunlight shining on the screens from an open bay door instantly removed your "readings". Ha-ha!
Bump one of the heads, and kiss the halogen bulb goodbye. Easy enough to replace, but then you had to manually re-focus the bulb to get a good bright line going.

Ah, the good ole days.... lol.

On the other hand, the local dealership recently bought one of Hunters latest and greatest photo machines for ump-teen thousand dollars several months ago and it hasn't worked right from day one. They can set the same vehicle up on the machine 4 times and get 4 different sets of readings without making a single change on the vehicle. All hat and no cattle..... :rolleyes:

winchman
12-07-2013, 03:19 PM
On the other hand, the local dealership recently bought one of Hunters latest and greatest photo machines for ump-teen thousand dollars several months ago and it hasn't worked right from day one. They can set the same vehicle up on the machine 4 times and get 4 different sets of readings without making a single change on the vehicle. All hat and no cattle..... :rolleyes:

They got one of those for the automotive shop at the school. I've always wondered what would happen if you did the same car from scratch several times without changing anything. I'm not surprised the results vary. I think I figured out how it works by reflecting laser beams off the reflectors you attach to the wheels and analyzing how the pattern changes as you move the car, and I concluded it was just a quick and easy machine for an unskilled worker to get passable results for most cars and normal driving.

Another case of dumbing stuff down so unskilled help can do a half-decent job at a nice profit.

vpt
12-07-2013, 03:58 PM
While the car is still hooked up just bounce on it a few times and watch everything move and go out of spec again. lol