PDA

View Full Version : DRO Installation Question

Duffy
12-06-2013, 11:04 PM
I bought a 6" DRO from iGaging to install on the Z axis of my mill/drill. It came with one page consisting of a parts list and setting instructions. While I CAN install the whole unit, I only need 5" of travel, and the whole installation would be much tidier if I can shorten the scale. I understand that this is possible, and if so, how? I mean hacksaw, axe or what? Also, does it matter which end?
Yes, I can e-mail the maker, but tomorrow is Saturday, and nobody is at work til Monday.
Helpful suggestions please.

hoffman
12-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Did you get the aluminum or stainless? Just curious...

From what I've read the aluminum scales cut pretty easily with a metal cutting hacksaw/bandsaw. I'd take care not to damage the magnetic encoder strip.

davidh
12-07-2013, 11:34 AM
I have advised my customers to use either a cut off wheel or fine blade hacksaw. I would not want to get it too hot as the "tape" reading surface may come unglued a bit.
igaging that I have been selling are extruded aluminum for the remote reading ones and stainless steel for the direct reading ones. the stainless can also be shortened the same way.
I did mine by holding lightly in an aluminum jawed vice and a 3" cut of wheel, being careful when the wheel hit the black tape like stuff. no problems.. email me for more information if you'd like