PDA

View Full Version : OT, are you having problems with IE11...?

DR
12-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Yesterday my desktop, Win7 pro, with IE11.....

IE quit working, wouldn't run, wouldn't start, wouldn't do anything. Luckily Firefox was still working so I could Google for a solution. Microsoft had a number of things to try, none worked until I found one about backing up on an automatic Windows update. It backed up onto IE10. and I clicked a box saying don't automatically update.

Problem solved......then I checked the laptop, Win7 pro. It was also having problems with IE11, The back arrow didn't work, I could read a thread here, but I couldn't back out of it. In that case some of the simple solutions like clearing memory and rebooting seemed to self correct (as Microsoft implied should happen in most cases).

It occurred to me, what would I have done if Firefox had also stopped working? I would not have been able to Google for solutions, would I? Maybe I should also have Chrome in reserve too, huh?

Back in the day I considered myself pretty savvy about computers, first home computer in 1979. Now I just want the damn things to work without needing a PHD in computer science.

jlevie
12-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Back in the day I considered myself pretty savvy about computers, first home computer in 1979. Now I just want the damn things to work without needing a PHD in computer science.
The glib answer is to ditch what you have and switch to a Mac. Or to wipe windows off and install Linux.

If you can't or won't do either of those, don't use IE unless absolutely required, like for Microsoft update. Use Firefox or Chrome only.

DR
12-10-2013, 12:53 PM
The glib answer is to ditch what you have and switch to a Mac. Or to wipe windows off and install Linux.

If you can't or won't do either of those, don't use IE unless absolutely required, like for Microsoft update. Use Firefox or Chrome only.

Yeah, I hear that all the time. For all the time I've run Windows computers I haven't had much, if any trouble. I buy the various software, install it and it works under Windows.

I'd be glad to install Linux, in my book that comes under the category of needing far more expertise in computers than I'm willing to invest in. If it came on a CD, stick it in the drive and hit "install" I'd be happy. My impression is it's not that easy, or is it? And, will all my software run under Linux as it does under Windows?

The only REAL problem I recall with Microsoft was back in the pre-Windows days. I bought Visual Basic, it clearly stated in black and white the original purchaser was entitled to free phone support. After a year of so I called for a tricky situation and was asked for my credit card. No, I'm the original purchaser. They insisted I misunderstood their policy. I worked my way up the food chain until I got to the women who said she was in charge of VB. She said she would immediately send me a letter (pre-email) explaining the support situation. Next day I got a stack of pamphlets regarding MS's language products, nothing else.

lakeside53
12-10-2013, 04:30 PM
I recently installed (3 weeks ago) IE11 on several (3 or 4) Win7 computers - no issues at all... but then I don't have any issues with IE browsers - and IMHO (worth nothing) 10/11 is way better/faster than the "also-ran" crowd :) I do occasionally have problem with third party stuff that tries to run. All browsers have that issue now and then but don't be too quick to blame the browser - like a pop up in the background you can't see but have to click "ok" or whatever.

So.. check what junk "third party" extensions got loaded over time. Disable/delete them all then enable/install as required until you find the useless pos that's not following "the rules". If it happens to me my instinct to a guess that something from Adobe is the problem. I always have windows update on for OS/IE/MS apps), but specifically do not allow Adobe apps to update without my permission. It amazes me how often flash, air or acrobat wants to install a new gigantic version and the junk (tool bars and more) they want to haul along by default. Yahoo toolbars are another I keep off my system.

If you are having problem with particular site (Yahoo weather apps are a pain) try clicking "compatibility mode". If that cures the issue, bitch at Yahoo or who ever; probably won't help, but you'll feel better.

PStechPaul
12-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Lately I keep getting reminded to install an "important update", which is IE11. Several times I tried to install it, and it comes up with an "unknown error". So I think I'll stick with IE10 for awhile, and I also have Firefox and Chrome as backup browsers. Maybe I should use Firefox as default...

madwilliamflint
12-10-2013, 06:14 PM
I don't have any issues at home (Windows 8.1) but I'm usually using Firefox anyway.

We've had peculiar trouble with IE11 in the office, and have had to downgrade a few machines to 10.

kf2qd
12-10-2013, 07:58 PM
If you wold like to try a Linux install look into the Wubi version of Ubuntu. It installs on a windows partition and uses 20 gig or so and allows you to select it at boot time. Changes nothing on the windows side.

I had a problem back a while with XP service pack 3 and I was still able to boot Wubi - Ubuntu and still use the computer.

WhatTheFlux!
12-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Chrome and Firefox user here -- Firefox is getting too bloated and the developers aren't responding to community requests anymore. Used to have the search bar set to Wiki and the URL bar set to Google. Now they both default to one or the other at random at startup and you can't split the functionality.

mike4
12-11-2013, 04:51 AM
Microsoft has always been an arrogant bunch of chair warming oxygen thieves.
All governments dont have the balls to stop the constant barrage of "you must update "

I recently bought a new laptop , and the sales person was perplexed when I said that I did not want an operating system loaded as I would only be wiped from the machine at powerup.

Pretty pictures dont impress me in a work enviroment , just select and click a mouse or key .

I have a so called smart phone which is less than 12 months old and it will soon need a new screen fitted as the grit and grease has worn permanent stripes into the screen , screen protectors only last about three or four days and get removed so that I can read text.

What is so wrong with having a choice of a more robust machine with an industrial type keyboard?

Michael

Michael

mike4
12-11-2013, 04:52 AM
Microsoft has always been an arrogant bunch of chair warming oxygen thieves.
All governments dont have the balls to stop the constant barrage of "you must update "

I recently bought a new laptop , and the sales person was perplexed when I said that I did not want an operating system loaded as I would only be wiped from the machine at powerup.

Pretty pictures dont impress me in a work enviroment , just select and click a mouse or key .

I have a so called smart phone which is less than 12 months old and it will soon need a new screen fitted as the grit and grease has worn permanent stripes into the screen , screen protectors only last about three or four days and get removed so that I can read text.

What is so wrong with having a choice of a more robust machine with an industrial type keyboard?

Michael

Michael

DickDastardly40
12-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Found the work computer (Win 7, 64 bit) this morning which is usually left on 24/7 had shutdown overnight after installing IE11. Despite also having Chrome and Firefox installed, I have to have IE to be able to use the Panasonic CCTV camera system as the others were too new for it to work in harmony.

Needless to say IE11 wouldn't work with it and doing the uninstall and revert to whatever IE version I had previously didn't help either so completely annoyed and frustrated!

martik
12-11-2013, 11:39 AM
There are no bulletproof browsers for windows. I have IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari installed, of which FF is the most reliable and IE the least.

In any case, one MUST have a solid disaster recovery plan. That means the ability to restore your PC to a known clean state and an OFFLINE (external, cloud, etc) backup solution. Think Cryptolocker. With tablets now well under $100, they are a viable emergency web access device (and handy for reading in the John :))

lakeside53
12-11-2013, 02:23 PM

You do not have to update. You can simply turn it off, or have it ask if you want to update. I choose to leave it on, and have no problems.

krutch
12-11-2013, 03:06 PM
I have issues with all actions on computers! Not wise enough to figure if it is my fault, computers', service providers', Damn yahoo, or some off site hacker playing with my (lost) sanity! Thank God I have a dumb phone!!!