PDA

View Full Version : OT, "upgrading to Vista on Dell Latitude D610: ACPI error??

J Tiers
12-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Yes, I agree, this is non-optimal. Given a choice, I wouldn't do it, I think it is a downgrade. but the machine goes to someone who has only ever used Vista, and has it on another machine.... No, XP, 7, or the win 8 phone app OS won't cut it

it is supposed to be possible to put Vista on the latutude D610, people have done it. Yes, it is probably a dog afterwards, but that won't be an issue.

So, the issue is that Vista disk keeps telling me that the machine is not ACPI compatible, and that I MUST either upgrade the BIOS or find another machine.

There is no uninstalled Bios upgrade. I have installed the latest, no change. People HAVE installed Vista on D610 machines, so whatever the issue is, the install should not be impossible, which is what the disk is telling me.

I have searched around, and found everything from "you can't do it, forget it" to "it's no problem, works, even if slow and a couple features don't work". Typical Internet garbage.

As for the ACPI, I can't seem to locate anything credible, a few shady looking places with drivers or analyzers that look to be automated virus installers.

Dell website is so hard to find anything on..... couldn't find any relevant updates, except Bios A06, which is on the machine.

So, What's this ACPI deal and why can some folks install Vista perfectly well on a D610, but this D610 is "totally incompatible" due to being incompatible with ACPI?

ACPI goes back to 1996, long before the D610 was made.

dp
12-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Try a Dell Vista distribution. They may have purpose built drivers. It would surprise me if they don't, in fact. They do that for RedHat Linux, too.

lost_cause
12-15-2013, 06:02 PM
i just swapped an ssd into a dell laptop that was a few years old, and did the vista reinstall. it would never finish the installation after a few tries, and in my searches i came across some topics about changing the acpi settings in the bios. what acpi might have to do with an installation issue, i can't say, and in the end it wasn't my problem anyways. the acpi comment just made me remember my problem:

i needed to install a driver for the hdd controller during the installation process. i don't think i've had to worry about drivers relating to chipsets until after installation in years. scsi hosts on nt4 is the one i remember doing it most on. if you're familiar with windows installs you'll know when and where to do this. not saying that it has anything to do with your issue, but it wouldn't hurt to try. my laptop was a vista machine, so the driver was easy to find. a vista driver for an xp machine may be a little more difficult to pinpoint, but i'm sure there is something that will work.

ptjw7uk
12-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Try this turn it off
http://airtechproductions.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/bios-in-this-system-is-not-fully-acpi.html
Peter

J Tiers
12-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Try a Dell Vista distribution. They may have purpose built drivers. It would surprise me if they don't, in fact. They do that for RedHat Linux, too.

It IS a Dell disk. It is actually a re-installation disk, but I DO have a Vista license, just not a readable Vista disk other than this.

Of course THAT may be the problem, the drivers on a Dell disk may expect different hardware than is in this Dell computer.

Try this turn it off
http://airtechproductions.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/bios-in-this-system-is-not-fully-acpi.html
Peter

that seems to relate to XP.....??

And in any case, anything to do with the OS is irrelevant, since the OS is being replaced.... any drivers will be blown away and whatever is on the install will be put in.

J Tiers
12-16-2013, 08:40 PM
No ideas?

I don't really know what to do about the ACPI issue.... I don't quite see how the blogspot link stuff relates to what I am trying to do, but maybe it does and I just don't "get it".

lost_cause
12-16-2013, 09:23 PM
No ideas?

I don't really know what to do about the ACPI issue.... I don't quite see how the blogspot link stuff relates to what I am trying to do, but maybe it does and I just don't "get it".

how far into the install are you getting? are we talking that you get the error before the installation starts, or at some point during the gui-based installation process?

Mike Amick
12-16-2013, 09:35 PM
If you use Vista, you can use XP. Its just about zero learning curve. And the machine requirements are way less. Vista is horrible on older machines. Talk him into XP

J Tiers
12-16-2013, 10:07 PM
It's after a bit, but not that far.... no real, idea how far, a couple minutes.

The Bios has no ACPI related stuff, no place where I can press F7, etc.

Mike... I quite agree, but the mother-in-law wants the same thing on the desktop and laptop.

lost_cause
12-16-2013, 10:26 PM
if you're past the formatting stage and into the installation of windows then it sure sounds like a driver issue. as i said with mine, i had to install a driver for the disk controller during the installation (very early in the installation when it asks you about installing 3rd party drivers). vista was able to start the installation with whatever low-level drivers it has built in, but once it started to identify hardware and install on its own, the built in driver was not compatible and would not complete the installation. like i said, no guarantee that this is a similar issue, but if you can figure out what driver to use for the disk controller at installation, it would be worth one more try at least.

Optics Curmudgeon
12-16-2013, 10:42 PM
I had a problem installing XP on an IBM laptop I was given. Turned out to be a BIOS issue, expected hardware was not present and the install halted. I don't know if Vista is susceptible to the same sort of thing or not.

Joe

J Tiers
12-16-2013, 11:17 PM
if you're past the formatting stage and into the installation of windows then it sure sounds like a driver issue. as i said with mine, i had to install a driver for the disk controller during the installation (very early in the installation when it asks you about installing 3rd party drivers). vista was able to start the installation with whatever low-level drivers it has built in, but once it started to identify hardware and install on its own, the built in driver was not compatible and would not complete the installation. like i said, no guarantee that this is a similar issue, but if you can figure out what driver to use for the disk controller at installation, it would be worth one more try at least.

It isn't far in, I doubt it is installing drivers, it has not said anything about what is going on, though.

There is nothing I can do about drivers. Or at least there is no Vista to do it with and no indication of any specific driver issue. The install faults out and it reverts to XP, which naturally reports all drivers are fine.

On the other hand it is very very specific that I MUST upgrade the Bios.... but there is no upgrade avaliable, and noplace in teh bios to affect ACPI settings, at least that I can find.

The stuff about HAL settings etc..... there no point at which it asks about anything nor does it want any function keys pressed that I can see.

XP is an ACPI OS already... you'd think it would work.

And, it is KNOWN POSITIVELY that installation of Vista is possible. It has been done by others.

schor
12-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Not saying this is your problem. Sometimes a wrong error message can get thrown.

http://www.tubblog.co.uk/blog/2009/03/19/the-acpi-bios-in-this-system-is-not-fully-compliant/

macona
12-17-2013, 12:36 AM
XP supports ACPI but really does not care if you have it or not.

The dell bios sucks, no real useful stuff there.

I think your best bet is to post on dell's forum.

Nothing wrong with vista once they got to SP3.

Mike Amick
12-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Doing a little digging. Have read that Vista wants ACPI vers 2. Vers 2 came out in 2002
but many manufacturers didn't update until 2006.

Yep .. I understand that many have installed Vista on the same computer and can't explain
that.

Again ... I'm willing to bet that if you put XP on that machine and say " here ya go" .. that
besides the bootup screen they won't even know.

Mike A

bob_s
12-17-2013, 11:11 AM
I've always found it helpful to wipe out the old Windows partition information with Linux based disk management software. That way you are guaranteed that any MS disk fingerprinting is removed.

J Tiers
12-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Since I easily see the nasty Vista stuff as different from XP, I'd bet on the M-in-law not liking XP.... but.....

lost_cause
12-17-2013, 08:15 PM
i prefer vista to xp myself. i built my vista machine in 2007, and it was bulletproof for the better part of 5 years. it had a strange hiccup about a year ago causing an issue with cold boots. i thought it was hardware related, but no amount of hardware changes would stop it from happening (the only constant factor was the video card - i literally built a different system around it and it always resulted in the same issue). a few months ago it went back to normal operation. i suspect there was some sort of windows update in the mix that was causing the issue, and it was later patched and my problem went away. i just recently bought a full version of 7 and upgraded to 64 bit windows 7 on an ssd with the same machine, plus a second video card. i did this only so i could utilize the 4gb of ram i had since i built the machine. with 32 bit vista and dual 320mb video in sli, i was only getting 2.5gb of ram, and that was not cutting it anymore.

anyways, i digress... the point was that xp, vista, 7... all of them operate pretty much the same way. if the user is the type to have an anxiety issue over a different operating system then they are probably the type who uses nothing more than a browser to access their yahoo mail account. they should be able to cope with that small change. i redid a similar age dell laptop for a family member that used nothing but browser based stuff and pulling photos off a camera. i taught them how to do it with that laptop on ubuntu 10.04, and it has never once been a problem, and when that tired old machine was running xp it was a daily problem. the user was a generation older than me and had only ever used xp or vista.

i've done tons of pc resurrections for people over they years, and to minimize my own headaches i lay down a few rules. basically, 1gb of ram or less then it will be a linux system. up to 2gb can be xp, 2-4gb can go vista, and 7 is 4gb or more. sure, you can run on less, but it usually ends up being stressful on me and the pc. since you're the technician, go with whatever system works for you.

batt-man
12-18-2013, 03:32 AM
may be way off base here but a problem i've seen in the past is down to how the hdd is presented within the bios.

A lot of systems you can setup the bios so that hdd's are presented as either "ahci" or "ide". If you have this option in the bios there's a good chance it's set to ahci; try changing to ide and re-run the setup.

Batt...