PDA

View Full Version : Boring Bar Repair

madman
12-17-2013, 05:53 AM
Hows this for even more punishment .Repair boring bars. tig weld 1018 material on end machine and then drill tap / The threads on these bars are bizarre at times . I guess im getting older but I need a magnifier to even make out the thread forms. Are there any tips on mainly tapping i can use a carbide drill but what can I do to Un heat treat and nmake dead soft the bar itself to make it tap happy? I thought of heat red hot and bury in vermiculite or sand? Thanx all Merry Xmas Guys Mike

madman
12-18-2013, 05:52 AM
OOPS!! Well i actually had zero trouble when it came to tapping this repaired boring bar. It was damaged to the point where there was no screw hole even left.. I made the block to replace the end that was missing from 1018 and my previous experiences with milling cutter repairs had me scared, (I think they are nitrided? P 20 material) Way back when I did the mill cutter repairs it resulted in a part so hard ,,,i couldnt tap it and ended up tossing it in the rubbish heap. Anyhow the Lathe tool came out really nice . Tapped pretty good, Finally got my special little metric tap a 3.5 x .6 pitch OSG tap ,worked well, Thanx Mike

dian
12-18-2013, 01:22 PM
intersting. pictures?