PDA

View Full Version : Finally. A pie chart we can all relate to...

fraker
12-19-2013, 04:28 AM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/fraker/piechart.jpg (http://s97.photobucket.com/user/fraker/media/piechart.jpg.html)

I think someone must have been spying on me when they made up this chart. It sums me up to a treat.:D

Hope you all have a very merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous new year.

J Harp
12-19-2013, 07:26 AM
That is dead on. I can easily spend a half hour looking for something I just had in my hand.

john hobdeclipe
12-19-2013, 07:52 AM
I wish I had a dollar for every hour I've spent looking for the wrench that's in my back pocket.

bborr01
12-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Boy, aint that the truth.

Brian

browne92
12-19-2013, 09:41 AM
This can only mean one thing. You have the same tool hiding gremlins in the UK that we have here in the States! They must exist, because there is no way that I could lose something so quickly. :rolleyes:

Stern
12-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Think my red section may be a bit larger lol I can accept the fact that once I put something down for a second its going to vanish. What really driver me crazy is the other two things that happen.
1) I look forever and just cant find it ... and I mean days. Just last week I lost 4 pairs of "robo grips" which are bright yellow and sure not small .... and so far they still havent turned up. I find that things like this eventually do a few months later when you stop looking for them and have already bought new ones.
2) I look for hours then all of a sudden its their right in front of my face (like I suffered some weird form of selective blindness), BUT in another spot I was no where near ??? I think there might be some spacial time/space thing going on here, or maybe I just momentarily become detached from the known universe.

Maybe I should do what the wife says and put sonic homing becons on all my tools. Loose it, go to the computer and turn it on and play "warmer/colder" with the sound. Problem is, making 20000 units would be no small feat .... plus how the hell do you do it when you still cant find half your tools :)

KiddZimaHater
12-19-2013, 10:16 AM
What drives me crazy?
When I make a mental note to myself, "I'll set it right HERE, so I won't forget where it is."
Then......
Five minutes later I've forgotten where I placed it, AND I can't find it!

Kevin B.
12-19-2013, 10:16 AM
I spent ten minutes looking for an angled hemostat. I was alarmed to find I had been carrying them around in my right hand. I am taking time over the Holidays to clean the shop. The last project left me with only enough floor area for strategic foot placement, even my usual "paths" had been filled.

Merry Christmas,

Kevin B.

Westline
12-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Very true.... Painting it brights colors does not help either. I once gave my Dad a can of Glowingly luminous orange paint to paint his "I will run away like that one sock in the dryer" chuck key.
Sadly when I came to visit him later that month he painted everything on his work bench.
I had to use welders googles while working there till the paint had worn off :cool:

A.K. Boomer
12-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Changing my ways fella's,

iv been on an intense cleaning spree and still going at it, and while I will never be as organized as some here Iv paid my due's searching for tools in mounds of tools and scraps of months old projects,

Even had an X come over and clean my kitchen for me, can't find where she "hid" everything yet but im getting used to it,

I do marvel at the organization skills that some people have because I simply am missing that genome, I will adapt though - I have to because im done with the chaos...
With two sets of stairs leading from the machine shop - one to the garage and one to the upstairs of the house im guessing on a busy day im up and down them at least 30 times... looking for tools scattered everywhere...
great exercise but is starting to leave me a little short of brain power at the end of the day...

achtanelion
12-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Cory doctorow's makers (free download http://craphound.com/makers/download/) has a part where the protagonists organize their shop using RFID tags. The idea being you stick a tag on everything, and let the computer keep track of where your stuff is. The books a good read anyway, I recommend it to anyone who's interested in the future of manufacturing. I don't think he has THE solution, but it might be A solution to employment, manufacturing and the problems of excess.

(I swear, I'm not a spambot)

J

krutch
12-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Where's the slice on dicking around on the computer?

legendboy
12-19-2013, 11:07 AM
What drives me crazy?
When I make a mental note to myself, "I'll set it right HERE, so I won't forget where it is."
Then......
Five minutes later I've forgotten where I placed it, AND I can't find it!

I do this and it drives me nuts.

Have been purging lots of stuff and spending way too much time trying to get organized lately.
I think having a clean organized shop is the only solution.

ArkTinkerer
12-19-2013, 11:11 AM
I know its time for a break when I can't find the tool I'm looking for AND ITS STILL IN MY HAND!

Cuttings
12-19-2013, 11:27 AM
You guys don't know how good you make me feel that I am not the only one doing this.
Cleaning up is OK, but reorganizing doesn't work. Then you cannot find anything because you keep looking in the place it used to be.

A.K. Boomer
12-19-2013, 11:28 AM
I know its time for a break when I can't find the tool I'm looking for AND ITS STILL IN MY HAND!

Try plugging an air line directly on a socket,,, that's right - without the "get-it gun" in-between...

Thank you - thank you very much... everybody can go home now - nothing else to see...

BMW Rider
12-19-2013, 11:35 AM
That's why I have multiples of my commonly misplaced items. Can't find the one I just had, oh well, get the spare out. Which is all good until they are all hiding in plain sight.

dian
12-19-2013, 11:39 AM
worse is if you cant find the money you took out of the bank this morning. (would anybody know where my 16 mm er collet is?)

CarlByrns
12-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Try plugging an air line directly on a socket,,, that's right - without the "get-it gun" in-between...

Thank you - thank you very much... everybody can go home now - nothing else to see...

I thought I was the only one...

kendall
12-19-2013, 12:55 PM
This can only mean one thing. You have the same tool hiding gremlins in the UK that we have here in the States! They must exist, because there is no way that I could lose something so quickly. :rolleyes:

This is true. they hide tools and move them around. I have a box with screwdrivers on my bench, not sorted just dumped in there, but I'll look for a Phillips and find nothing but straight drivers, a minute later I'll need a straight driver, and all I find in the box are Phillips.

Last week, I needed my 2.5 inch socket, looked in the bike bay's tool box where it normally is, not there, so I looked in main tool boxes on off chance it got moved, couldn't find it. Was a rush job so I drove the 50 miles to get a new one. Got back, finished job, went to put new one in the old one's spot, and the old one was sitting there where it always is.

The old folks (Can't really say that anymore) used to say leave a bowl of milk out for the fairies, wonder if it would work for shop gremlins?

metalmagpie
12-19-2013, 12:58 PM
I rarely have trouble finding the tool I was just using AS LONG AS I NEVER PUT IT DOWN. Never put down a tool. Then no problem.

:-)

Dave S.
12-19-2013, 01:14 PM
I have a 1/4" ER16 collet that vanished into thin air in the shop. That was 3 months ago and it has not shown up yet. I agree my red zone runs about 90% of pie.

Dave

doctor demo
12-19-2013, 01:27 PM
My problem starts out looking for that missing tool I need for the project at hand and turns into, oh! that is where this tool ended up and look here is this one and ........... then after finding and putting back a half dozen tools that have been out of circulation for a while I forget what I'm looking for and even worse what I needed it for.

Steve

Alistair Hosie
12-19-2013, 04:08 PM
I am very glad you all seem to be having difficulty finding tools you have used just a minute before!!!!!!!!! it is not that I am really glad it's just I thought It was senility creeping in for old Al . Seriously I am getting terribly forgetful short term memory is a dull glow in terms of where it once was.Do you all find this ?Words seem to fail me For example I couldn't for the life of me in conversation remember what the name was for cucumber in the middle of the sentence after a long wait I had to my embarrasment decribe it to the others around the table long green etc. LOL Alistair

bollie7
12-19-2013, 06:10 PM
It happens in the southern hemisphere too. I've been blaming it on the Tool Gremlins but now I think I like Sterns space/time thing more. It sounds more like you know something when you tell others.

What about the cable Gremlins? You know, the ones that tangle all the cables behind your computer or sound system. I even went through a stage where all the cables behind the sound sytem and also the computer were cable tied neatly together and labled, when I finished putting it all together, and when I had to move stuff sometime later they were all tangled again. How does this happen????
All the best for the upcoming festive season, to everyone up the top, from someone down the bottom. Hope your winter is not too cold. Warming up down here, 41/42deg C predicted in some parts here today
regards
bollie7

cdndewey
12-19-2013, 06:45 PM
I think this sums it up....

Thank goodness there's a name for this disorder. Now you'll understand why I am the way I am.

Age-Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden.
As I turn on the hose in the driveway,
I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.

As I start toward the garage,
I notice mail on the porch table that
I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys on the table,
Put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table,
And notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back
On the table and take out the garbage first...

But then I think,
Since I'm going to be near the mailbox
When I take out the garbage anyway,
I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my check book off the table,
And see that there is only one check left.
My extra checks are in my desk in the study,
So I go inside the house to my desk where
I find the can of Pepsi I'd been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks,
But first I need to push the Pepsi aside
So that I don't accidentally knock it over.

The Pepsi is getting warm,
And I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Pepsi,
A vase of flowers on the counter
Catches my eye--they need water.

I put the Pepsi on the counter and
Discover my reading glasses that
I've been searching for all morning.
I decide I better put them back on my desk,
But first I'm going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter ,
Fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote.
Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV,
I'll be looking for the remote,
But I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table,
So I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs,
But first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers,
But quite a bit of it spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back on the table,
Get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to
Remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:
The car isn't washed,
The bills aren't paid,
There is a warm can of
Pepsi sitting on the counter,
The flowers don't have enough water,
There is still only 1 check in my check book,
I can't find the remote,
I can't find my glasses,
And I don't remember what I did with the car keys.
Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today,
I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day,
And I'm really tired.

Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!

MikeWI
12-19-2013, 07:01 PM
God yes. I've even set down a tool and lost it when I went to pick it up. I've ranted about this sort of time scale to my wife so often...

Don Young
12-19-2013, 09:51 PM
I have been working on a 1962 Ford backhoe off and on for several years. When I got ready to put the four loader hydraulic cylinders back on, they weren't where I thought they were. They are about 4 feet long and 5 inches in diameter. It has been nearly a year and they haven't shown up yet. The last time I remember seeing them was when I thought they needed to be put inside out of the weather. The hydraulic pump that I stashed somewhere for safekeeping early on remains safely wherever I put it, too.

bruto
12-19-2013, 11:28 PM
There are things I've had a pair of or a set of, which have been apart for 20 years at a time. I will find one, remark on having found it, set it aside so I can reunite it with its mate, and then lose the mate.

Long ago I ran across some place that had big sets of cheap screwdrivers, like 20 or 30 in a set. I seriously considered buying a couple, then just going to the door of the shop with them in my hand, shutting my eyese, and broadcasting them across the space. I figured I would then have at least a fighting chance of finding a screwdriver.

Now after many years I just have several of everything. I sometimes find one of what I'm looking for.

darryl
12-20-2013, 12:16 AM
I lost my biggest C clamp a while ago. My shop is not a marvel of cleanliness, granted, but I pretty much know where to look for the tool I need- and there are literally dozens of places where that type of tool has a home- so there I am looking for the clamp. I didn't find it for about a week. Then a friend comes over and marvels at the fact that in all this mess I know exactly where the particular tool is that he needs to use. I say something like 'well, so far I've been pretty good about being able to recall where I last left- whatever'- then as I'm mentioning that I haven't been able to find the C clamp, I see it- clamped to a bench, closer to my face than anything else around. I must have walked right by it a hundred times, barely escaping getting my shirt caught on it.

I'm starting to think of this type of thing as entertainment. No point in getting all frustrated about it.

Billy Hill
12-20-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure if you did this on purpose as a test, or if you really do have AAADD...

As I turn on the hose in the driveway,

YOU LEFT THE WATER RUNNING IN YOUR DRIVEWAY!!!

LOL! :D

A.K. Boomer
12-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Im sure he was going to thank you for reminding him of that but he probably got fixated on tightening up his wall mounted toothbrush rack just before he was going to wipe his butt...:p

browne92
12-20-2013, 09:56 AM
What about the cable Gremlins? You know, the ones that tangle all the cables behind your computer or sound system.

Don't forget the radio gremlins. The ones that turn the radio volume up when you are out of the car. Because when you turn the key on and it blows you out of your seat, you KNOW you didn't leave it that loud when you got out.

red_sc
12-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Speaking of pie charts...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/Red_Sc/Jokes/piechart.jpg

George Bulliss
12-20-2013, 11:49 AM
I had a problem with screwdrivers and for years kept buying more so there would at least be one in the drawer when I looked. Now, if they are all put away, the drawer wonít shut. Had one that was lost for years. Finally found it buried in the attic insulation. I also had a couple year span when my son thought the long screwdrivers made a pretty good sword Ė still missing a few of those.

My current MIA is a utility knife. Iím actually pretty organized these days but itís been gone for two weeks and is driving me crazy. I have another one but am so obsessed with finding the missing one that I feel the need to do a search every time I need it. Matter of fact, just writing this makes me want to look for it!

A.K. Boomer
12-20-2013, 11:53 AM
That's easy GB,,, where did you last put it? ---------- don't you just hate that???

still have people ask me that, well if I knew then we wouldn't even be having this conversation then right???

hitnmiss
12-20-2013, 12:24 PM
I've looked for a tool, couldn't find it, finally give up and buy one then when I go to put it away think "where can I store this so I can find it next time", go to put it away and there is the original tool I'd been looking for all along.

Billy Hill
12-20-2013, 10:40 PM
"where can I store this so I can find it next time",

What you should be doing is remembering the first few places you looked for the item and start putting it there the next time.

A little different take on pie charts...

http://amusingscribe.com/images/Beatles-Song.jpg

SGW
12-21-2013, 06:34 AM
I own at least half a dozen tape measures and typically can't find any of them. If I do find one and start using it, it disappears the first time I put it down. I haven't had one vanish while I have it in my hand yet, but I expect it is only a matter of time.

Tony Ennis
12-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Need to add large pie slices for me for "procrastinating" and "over-analyzing". Remove the "finishing" slice.

Kevin B.
12-21-2013, 10:53 AM
I have proof that it's not always you who misplaces tools. I was doing a small project at my daughters house and needed a needle nose pliers. She hands me my favorite pliers that had been missing for 15 years. She had taken them when she went off to college, didn't think I would mind because I " had a bunch." They are going to her in my will. I had them since I was 14 years old, a gift from my Dad.

Kevin B.

Abner
12-21-2013, 11:50 AM
I go back to the 'scissor, rock, paper' game, where paper wins by covering rock. As a child I always thought this was a totally stupid but required way to make the game interesting, rock to me was much more strong and powerful being able to smash scissors. Scissors being metal and able to cut paper sounding strong and powerful too. Paper always seemed comparatively weaker, and surely, surely rock could smash paper as well.

As an adult I realize the evils of paper and it's many accomplices, the powers of hiding were easily deserving the same respect and equal footing given to rock and scissors, it can cover all kinds of important things like car keys, which as a kid really didn't concern me like it does today.