PDA

View Full Version : Santa was good to me!

Black Forest
12-24-2013, 03:19 PM
My wife gave me a Rhino 6000 label printer for Christmas. This thing is really great. I can make my labels on my computer and download them to the handheld printer.

Then what ever I am labeling I can print the label on location. I can also create the labels as I need them in the shop without the computer. Just use the printer keypad.

It will print labels from 6mm wide to 24mm wide.

Now I can label all my nuts and bolts bins!!! My drill index so the drills go back to the correct place! All my hydraulic hoses on my various projects. And last but not least I can label all my wires in my control cabinets on some of my projects. It will print on shrink tubes also.

Life just got better!

laddy
12-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Great! Sure beats a magic marker....Merry Christmas!

MichaelP
12-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Now tell us what Santa brought to your wife and her sister.

Errol Groff
12-24-2013, 04:22 PM
My guess would be a new camera!

Plain ol Bill
12-24-2013, 04:45 PM
You can even use it to label all the parts on the CNC plasma cutter so when you find them again you will remember what they are.

EddyCurr
12-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Labelers, I think, are often-overlooked aids to bringing/keeping
order in a work space.

Modern ones sure make the job easy to get right the first time.

I remember settling in with the old school Dymo-style way back.
More than once, the ribbon tape would be nearly finished and there
would be intense concentration on tapping out the remaining
characters accurately, hoping not to make a mistake and that
the ribbon would last long enough to complete the task.

BF, do you use bar codes? I do not know about whether the Rhino
can print these, but I am guessing it can. While it used to be
that information encapsulated in Code 39 or the equivalent
was pretty sparse, new BC types can be fairly dense.

lakeside53
12-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Now you can run around labeling everything in the shop with "mine" ;)

wierdscience
12-24-2013, 06:59 PM
I am assuming that EVERYTHING you own now has a label?:D

loose nut
12-24-2013, 07:29 PM
My wife gave me a Rhino 6000 label printer for Christmas.

What are you talking about Christmas isn't until tomorrow.:eek:

Opa
12-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Those things are like razors and blades, the real money comes from selling the tapes, but, boy are they handy.

Black Forest
12-25-2013, 02:09 AM
What are you talking about Christmas isn't until tomorrow.:eek:

Here in Germany presents are exchanged on Christmas Eve. And whereas we are from 6 to 9 hours later than you all in USA it is now Christmas Eve evening here.

Black Forest
12-25-2013, 02:11 AM
Now tell us what Santa brought to your wife and her sister.

I gave my wife a set of electronic drums for Christmas. She has always said she would like to play the drums. This present I might even deliver to her sister!

alanganes
12-25-2013, 10:47 AM
It is surprising how handy those things can be. I grabbed a small DYMO 330 USB desktop label printer at work, I intercepted it on its way to the dumpster. I grabbed it mostly just to fool around with, did not really think I had much use for such a thing. I have since found loads of uses for it, and have printed hundreds of labels with it. It found a permanent place on my desk. I'm pretty sure I'll want to replace it once I finally wear it out.

The ability to print wire labels and on heat shrink tube will really up the level of your panel building. You will REALLY appreciate that when you come back to rework or repair your wiring after being away from it for a while.

Nice gift!

jhe.1973
12-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

Merry Christmas to ya'll!

Some great tips here that I either use, or now, will use.

One that I find handy is to label the junction boxes I have for my 3 phase.

I am often moving my machines around as I try to get the most out of limited space. I can just glance at them & know right away which ones are which. I don't have to follow the thinwall to see where it came from.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g327/jhe-1973/220V3PH_zps350926be.jpg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/jhe-1973/media/220V3PH_zps350926be.jpg.html)

Another one that comes in handy from time to time - in case I get confused (this seems to happen more & more as I get older) This one can really keep me out of trouble!

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g327/jhe-1973/Wife_zpsf7295c70.jpg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/jhe-1973/media/Wife_zpsf7295c70.jpg.html)

ROFLOL :D

darryl
12-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Ha ha! Though I think this would be one of the last things you would forget-

Until the last few years, I've been in the dark ages in regards to labeling things. I remembered the dymo labeler and kept an eye out for one. Now what I do is use the mill to make a shallow channel in whatever I want to label, then trim the piece of label to length and round the ends. It looks much nicer being recessed a tad, and you can't catch things on it. Things I've labeled without recessing it look kind of tacky, and labels stuck on in a recess look - well, decent anyway. To be sure, I'm stuck with the spacing of the letters, etc, according to the label machine itself, but it does lend a sort of rugged look to whatever it's stuck onto.

For a better look, what I've done a few times now is work up an image of what I'd like the 'front panel' to look like, which sometimes includes markings around a dial- that kind of thing- then have it printed on photo paper. At work we use a kind of 'high grade' contact cement, and that works well enough to stick the artwork down with. I suppose a stick-on photo sheet would work also, probably even better. A few coats of lacquer and the end result looks good. It's pretty cheap to get even a fairly large image printed these days, and what I've also done is make up an image file of names and identifications, then cut them out and stick them on.

For a project where there's a front panel, I'm really leaning towards the printed photo stick-on, especially because you can make any markings you want, use any font and size you want, etc.Colors too-

MichaelP
12-25-2013, 03:52 PM
I gave my wife a set of electronic drums for Christmas. She has always said she would like to play the drums. This present I might even deliver to her sister!
I hear you.

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

mike4
12-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Can you adjust the font size to compensate from your eyes wearing ?
lot of members can relate to that.

Parts dont get smaller but the print seems to shrink fast.
Michael

Black Forest
12-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Can you adjust the font size to compensate from your eyes wearing ?
lot of members can relate to that.

Parts dont get smaller but the print seems to shrink fast.
Michael

Yes you can adjust the font size. It will print vertical, horizontal wrap labels for wire. Flag labels for wire. It will print what is needed for the terminal blocks in one label separated by a black line. Also overlap labels with a clear vinyl wrap-around to protect the printing from oil, dirt, grease, etc..

The one I got is a real professional tool. Probably more than what I need but I like toys!