PDA

View Full Version : OT- Which Flat Screen TV?

rws
12-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Might be in the market for a new one. Lots of choices out there, very confusing. Not looking for a "smart" TV, will be hooking it to the satellite box. Something in the 40" or so range.

winchman
12-26-2013, 08:44 AM
We bought a 46" Samsung (Model UN46EH6000F) a little over a year ago on sale at the local Sears. It died after a couple days, but the replacement has been doing just fine. I made a wall mount for it in the welding shop. We have a Roku 3 connected to the Samsung, and it gets a lot of use.

We've had two Sanyos (from Walmart) for several years now. We're happy with them, but we'll probably go with Samsung when it comes time to replace them. We have a Google Chromecast to use with them.

Bill Pace
12-26-2013, 09:04 AM
I replaced my giant 150lb 32" Sony CRT last year (14yrs good service) with a 52" flat Samsung last year . This was after getting my 2 much more capable sons to help with research, and with the 3 of us compiling reviews/ratings the Samsung just kept coming out as a "best buy" And after 11-12 months service I have no complaints at all. I see the Samsung line still get good reviews.

thebigron
12-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Since you say you "might" be in the market for a new tv, you might want to wait until after the super bowl and around that same time the tv "new" year models come out. It would probably save you a few dollars if you can hold on. The leftovers will be discounted deeper. FWIW my 39" LG has worked well for the last 6 years, and a smaller Polarorid has done the same for 5 years.

loose nut
12-26-2013, 09:39 AM
LG and Samsung are good.

Remember when RCA meant something besides "made in Republic of China and shipped to the USA".

Black Forest
12-26-2013, 10:12 AM
I compared all the major brands side by side. Can you believe I drove the people at the store crazy! The Sony picture was the best connected to the same feed same receiver. I have a Sony Bravia 42". It is a smart TV though. The Sony is connected to our network so I can serve pictures and videos from my computer. I can surf the net while watching TV. Overall I think it is a great TV.

tdkkart
12-26-2013, 11:09 AM
48" Samsung LED we got this time last year with our Christmas money. Picked the Samsung because every time I looked at the wall of TVs in the store, or on the rare occasion that I visited Buffalo Wild Wings, they always stuck out as having the picture that I like the looks of. I skipped the "smart" version, but have has a couple occasions since when I've wished I'd bought it.

The bad thing I can say about SamSung is that some friend's are living with relatives this Christmas after their Samsung TV caught fire and did approx. $160,000 worth of damage to their house.

WhatTheFlux!
12-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Samsung has a reputation for being a fire-hazard, that isn't the first story I've heard linked to them.

I have an RCA myself, it does everything. TV and computer monitor as well as video-games. It sits on my desk and has given me three years of good service so far.

portlandRon
12-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Samsung also has a reputation for their power supplies giving out at around 13 - 18 months. My two kids had it happen to theirs.

Rich Carlstedt
12-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Have a Samsung 46 after going to my local Time Warner office and seeing 6 of them hanging on the walls
Then I spoke to a cable repair man and he said they were the most trouble free.

One thing no one mentions here, and it is important.
There are 3 types of TV's
LED, Plasma, and LCD-LED's
For my money, just hold your hand over the top of a TV that has been on for awhile.
Some have so much heat, you can shut off your furnace.
The Samsung LED has almost nothing.
That tells me alot...both energy efficiency ( $) and since heat destroys electronics..life expectancy

Rich

skunkworks
12-26-2013, 11:54 AM
We got a toshiba (regza 55") display model (had been run all day long for quite a while in store)

Still running strong atleast 3 years later..

sam

tdkkart
12-26-2013, 12:24 PM
One thing no one mentions here, and it is important.
There are 3 types of TV's
LED, Plasma, and LCD-LED's
For my money, just hold your hand over the top of a TV that has been on for awhile.
Some have so much heat, you can shut off your furnace.
The Samsung LED has almost nothing.
That tells me alot...both energy efficiency ( $) and since heat destroys electronics..life expectancy
Rich

I had heard the discussions about power useage, yet was sadly disappointed when I checked my brandy-new 48" SamSung against my old 27" tube with the Kill-O-Watt meter and found that they drew EXACTLY the same amount of power. Of course I'm getting 21" more TV for the same power.........

dp
12-26-2013, 01:20 PM
I bought a 42" Toshiba FP TV for my wife - I rarely watch TV. Anyway, one thing I've noticed is the screen resolution seems always to be wrong for the show being presented. It does not automatically scale to what ever is being broadcast so you have to flip between resolutions manually to get what looks best. Dunno if they're all this way, but it is another reason why I don't watch it. My wife will watch for hours with the screen set too wide and everyone looks short and fat. She was watching a choir show from Europe last night and my first comment was "they sure have thick ankles in Brussels". I got that stink eye look from her :)

KJ1I
12-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Just to complicate things more, we have had a Vizio in the family room for almost 5 years now and its still going strong - great color and resolution (better than my old eyes). We also have an LG in the guest room. Its about 3 years old, but doesn't get that much use. Pretty sure they are LCD, I know they aren't plasma.

JoeLee
12-26-2013, 05:35 PM
During the summer I bought a 32" LG LED. It worked for two days and the third morning it wouldn't power up. The place where I bought it from replaced it no questions asked and I also learned that I wasn't the first person to have this happen.
It has a nice picture but flipping channels is really slow which I think is typical of all these DTV's. The most annoying thing is every time you change channels you have to wait about 7 seconds for the information bar to disappear so you can see the whole screen.

JL.................

rws
12-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Been doing some reading today, reviews and such. Samsung sure is rated well, but nothing was ever said about the electric issues or power supplies.

Vizio brand is rated quite well, and at a good price. Panasonics are rated very well, but are out of my price range.

C_lazy_F_Guns
12-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Been doing some reading today, reviews and such. Samsung sure is rated well, but nothing was ever said about the electric issues or power supplies.

Vizio brand is rated quite well, and at a good price. Panasonics are rated very well, but are out of my price range.
About 5 years ago I had 3 Visio TVs and within 6 weeks of each other they all died, newest was 4 months old and oldest 16 months old. Before you but Visio Google “Visio Pop” and I think you will move on!

I replaced those 3 with Sony LED units after lots of looking and learning, they were not cheap but the picture is better and all are running just fine. Got no gripes at all about the Sonys, they seem to be a whole lot better quality for not all that much more money.

wmgeorge
12-26-2013, 07:22 PM

Samsung had power supply problems from maybe 2008 - 2011 and those are not the exact dates but you can Google for it. Class action lawsuit and all. Was related in part to faulty capacitors, the Chinese manufacturer said it had a batch of bad counterfeit ones used??? Ebay sellers even sell the repair kits with capacitors and some kits include the soldering iron and solder! Not all the sets had problems, so I was able to purchase one used at a bargain price using the PS issues as leverage.

portlandRon
12-26-2013, 07:37 PM
One thing to do after you get it is to turn it on and just let it run for a couple of days. If there are any electrical problems the should show up in the time frame.
In another life I worked in the service dept. of a high end stereo shop. We built a spacial rack so that we could run all the new equipment for a day or two to weed out any problems. Had very few returns on items we ran before giving them to the customer.

Timleech
12-27-2013, 03:38 AM
Our TV died on Christmas Eve, a 4 year old Philips. I think it's a similar power supply problem to that described for some Samsungs, & I've ordered a set of new caps for it so it might live again.
Bought a new Toshiba 32" LED yesterday, the picture is good as are general first impressions but the sound from the internal speakers is cr*p. It does have a lineout/headphone socket, which the Philips didn't have, so should be easy to plug it into the stereo kit.
For us, 32" is a BIG telly, the last one was 24". It amazed me looking at online reviews etc that people were saying 32" was a good size for bedrooms and kitchens!!
Expectations have changed a lot in recent years.

Tim

Circlip
12-27-2013, 05:32 AM
4 Years out of a Phillips Tim? Must have been a mid week one. Most were made on Mondays and Fridays.

My 26" CRT TV was built by the other Danish manufacturer and is still thundering on after at least fifteen years despite SWTSMBO trying to put a curse on it. Used to help installing and servicing this companies products and with the advent of the widescreen products, the main problems I found was due to the difference in aspect ratio, to get a set with the same visible picture height I have now, I would need a 42" set. Second one is, has already been mentioned is the differing frame sizes being transmitted. If we had it rammed down our throats that widescreen is more natural, why didn't they all agree on a common frame size?

Sound is always going to be compromised, that's why there's a thriving trade in "Sound Bars". Lots of those don't sound much better.

Regards Ian.

Timleech
12-27-2013, 05:44 AM
4 Years out of a Phillips Tim? Must have been a mid week one. Most were made on Mondays and Fridays.

Sound is always going to be compromised, that's why there's a thriving trade in "Sound Bars". Lots of those don't sound much better.

Regards Ian.

It was made in Poland, but the caps probably came from China.

I wasn't expecting miracles from the internal sound of the Toshiba, given the size of the case, but it's the one aspect where the Philips was better.

Tim

studentjim
12-28-2013, 08:01 AM
I'm a Panasonic die hard. I've had a 42 inch plasma for about 6 years now and no issues what so ever. My daughter bought a 42 inch LED also a Panasonic two years ago with no problems. Talked my sister-in-law into a Panasonic a year and a half ago, no problems so far. I've got a Panasonic microwave for at least 25 years now still works flawlessly.

rws
12-28-2013, 12:59 PM
We bought several new TVs for furnishings in a new building recently. 3 big TVs, one a Samsung, and 2 LGs the same size. The Samsung has a great picture, both of the LGs have a horrible picture. Now I understand you can change a bunch of settings and calibration, but out of the box, no good. The building is fed from the same cable feed, so I would think that shouldn't be an issue. I passed by the TV display at WallyWorld, and while I imagine they don't have the best quality display setup, the LG was quite good. Right over it was a Vizio, and it was about the same picture. I'll go to Best Buy and HHGregg next week and look directly at what's there.

Don't need a "smart" TV, there is no way we can stream off of the Internet. Don't do gaming either, just one HDMI from the blue ray player, and the cable from the dish box.

MichaelP
12-28-2013, 03:49 PM
The Sony is connected to our network so I can serve pictures and videos from my computer. BF, I recently bought a smart 55" Sony LED TV (didn't pick it up yet). I wonder if it's really capable to connect to a computer within your wireless network to run, let's say, an *.avi file located on its hard drive. Nobody in the store could answer the question, and I strongly suspect that it can only use your network as a gateway to connect to the Internet.

Did you add anything to your TV and installed on your PC to "serve videos" over your wireless home network from your computer? Or all you did was simply using your TV as a computer monitor?

Also I wonder if your TV is capable of running an .avi file off a jump drive (a.k.a. USB drive) directly connected to your TV.

Black Forest
12-29-2013, 02:25 AM
BF, I recently bought a smart 55" Sony LED TV (didn't pick it up yet). I wonder if it's really capable to connect to a computer within your wireless network to run, let's say, an *.avi file located on its hard drive. Nobody in the store could answer the question, and I strongly suspect that it can only use your network as a gateway to connect to the Internet.

Did you add anything to your TV and installed on your PC to "serve videos" over your wireless home network from your computer? Or all you did was simply using your TV as a computer monitor?

Also I wonder if your TV is capable of running an .avi file off a jump drive (a.k.a. USB drive) directly connected to your TV.

Michael, I have connected my Sony via WiFi to our network and hardwired to the network. Both manners work perfect to serve videos to the Sony from my computer. The USB drive plugged into the Sony works perfect with the correct video formats. The Sony does not like Jpeg stills from Photoshop. The Sony connects to the internet over my network. The router is actually connecting to the internet and anything on the network then has access to the internet.

Videos and pictures can be accessed from the Sony off the computer. There are setting on the TV that allow you to set up your computer as a server to the TV.

All quite painless to set up if you have any idea about networks.

MichaelP
12-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Very interesting. Thank you BF.

EVguru
12-29-2013, 05:32 AM
LED vs LCD

There is so much BAD information around!

Most TVs are NOT LED, they're LED backlit.

The backlinghting necessary to actually see the picture on an LCD screen used to be cold cathode tubes. Failure of the cold cathode supply is usually what kills PC monitors at work.

LED backlighting may be back lit or edge lit, the edge lit screens being MUCH thinner.

There are true LED screens where each pixel is actually and LED. Theses are usually described as OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) and can be very thin and should have very high dynamic contrast ratio figures.

Forestgnome
12-29-2013, 11:23 AM
If you can afford a new 4k tv, they are truly awesome to watch. Amazing detail. They've come down considerably in price since they were introduced. Otherwise, LED's and LCD's save power over plasma's, but a lot of people still prefer plasmas for increased viewing angle and pixle response time. Fast motion on solid state displays tend to streak. Since plasmas won't be made anymore, the prices are going up due to continuing demand. If you want a plasma you got to get one now.

YukonHam
12-29-2013, 12:30 PM
We've had good luck with Samsungs in our home. The point made about power supplies bears more attention though.

I have been led to believe that the switching power supplies used in most consumer electronics are particularly vulnerable to voltage sags and transients - even ones you don't notice. In our semi-rural area we get these fairly frequently, and I ended up repairing or replacing several power supplies before I wised up and put UP supplies on the big ticket items. No more problems. (You do have to get appropriately sized, and high quality output UPSs though.)

CarlByrns
12-30-2013, 12:16 AM
We have a Westinghouse flat screen the kids gave us. Gawd only knows who really made it. It's an LCD screen and looks just dandy to my semi-colorblind eyes.

danlb
12-30-2013, 12:49 AM
I've a few TVs in the house and also several computer monitors. Recently I've been buying the Samsung models, both smart and not so smart. I've been quite happy with all of them. Good pictures and easy to use.

If you want to add "smarts" to a TV you can buy the Samsung DVD player. It will even display the screen from your samsung phone. This is handy when you want to display a a past episode of a video that is available via your cell (HBO Go has some) but not your local cable.

Dan

wmgeorge
12-30-2013, 09:31 AM
I've a few TVs in the house and also several computer monitors. Recently I've been buying the Samsung models, both smart and not so smart. I've been quite happy with all of them. Good pictures and easy to use.

If you want to add "smarts" to a TV you can buy the Samsung DVD player. It will even display the screen from your samsung phone. This is handy when you want to display a a past episode of a video that is available via your cell (HBO Go has some) but not your local cable.

Dan
Good info, need a newer DVD player anyway.