PDA

View Full Version : Entrapaneurial Opportunity

jr45acp
04-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Well, I didn't spell that right, but this is intriging. Sounds feasible, but getting the net to spread consistently would be a real bear!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=5&u=/nm/2 0040427/od_nm/odd_spidergun_dc (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=5&u=/nm/20040427/od_nm/odd_spidergun_dc)

------------------
John B

[This message has been edited by jr45acp (edited 04-27-2004).]

ibewgypsie
04-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Silly string?... Super glue based? hardens before you get it loose... Mylar fibres..

Ha Ha.. I can see it now.. boom.. 12 ga round covers perpetrator with sticky-silly string gluing him to his surroundings..

Boom.. car thieves glued inside car..

Boom.. Subject running off in distance is glued to the bushes and trees..

Boom.. a new way to deer hunt, catch and release.. HA HA>> my favorite.. Just saw the antlers off bambi and let him go...

David http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

lynnl
04-27-2004, 01:20 PM
That's a classic case of creating a problem where there was none.

"...what could we (Hiway Patrol) do different..?" Simple. Just don't show up at the scene. That bay's a pretty big body of water, probably no real need to even go fish the body out.

Forrest Addy
04-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Why not bring up a brass band, cheerleaders, a yelling throng, sell beer and hot dogs, have a red mouthed MC blather on about trivail events, sell adjustable beds and penile disfunction drugs on the commercial breaks, and put the jumper on live TV? If the jumper does it? "Tell him what he wins, Jay"

bernie
04-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Sling shots with 3/8 ball bearings to shoot at the jumper. He might jump sooner.

jr45acp
04-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Well, I don't know about the Bay bridge, but when I was in the Coast Guard, my cutter responsed to a jumper on the Golden Gate. Watched him jump! Made a hell of a splash. Never found the body, not even a grease slick. Of course in this, politically correct, sensative world, we must have compassion for this poor unfortunate soul. (just kidding!)

------------------
John B

INTERPOLATE
04-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Harpoon gun with rop attached.

Forrest Addy
04-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Heeey! Yeah. Nothing like a toggle harpoon to keep track of a jumper. A hundred feet of line and a bouy with a radar corner on it. Find him easy in a week.

Evan
04-27-2004, 04:51 PM
The Bay Bridge isn't nearly high enough. People actually survive jumping from those bridges. You need at leat 300-400 feet to get to terminal velocity. (aptly named, isn't it?)

jr45acp
04-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Evan, your quest for precision never ceases to amaze me!

------------------
John B

dvideo
04-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Clearly Evan, you are on to something.... Could call it a bonzai jump instead of bunji jump. Combine it with a mortuary, located away from the bridge, and that will make money and allow traffic to flow normally. Might even be popular in SF.

Just kidding.... I hope you can tell..... :>

-- jerry

spope14
04-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Big bazooka, about the caliber of a 55 gallon drum, mounted on a trailer. A bit like the super guns Saddam tried to make. Real heavy trailer, shoots out a fish net type of thing about 30 feet across with some type of adhesive on it. Net hits jumper either near start of flight, or in early mid flight. Adhesive glues to jumper enough to secure net. That adhesive may even be like that super gummy plastic that they make those "wall climber" toys the kids get at Macs and such - real soft, real gummy, especially to clothes and skin, but releases easily with pressure.

If you hit before jump, the rubber "gummy stuff" sticks for about one to two minutes to everything around the jumper - pinning him to the wall, girders, and with a net with enough surface area, and quick enough rescuers, the guy is cut free or lowered in the net (which is tied securely for lowering).

Net is also attached to real big trailer and bazooka gun with Bungi cord - or better from my experience, two to three 11mm Dynamic climbing ropes (6 to 9% stretch, more pliable, less weight, less tangle). Three because if one breaks, one tangles, you still have the third.

The ropes "reel in" upon catch very quickly, but are also set to length to prevent the jumper from swinging back into the bridge underpinnings. After catch, the ropes reel in slower.

If you miss, well, at least you tried.....

[This message has been edited by spope14 (edited 04-27-2004).]

Evan
04-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Jerry,

There used to be a mortuary in South San Francisco (I grew up in the Bay Area) that advertised (I know this is an old joke but they really did have a sign) "Our Business is Dying".

dvideo
04-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Evan...

You could say things like that in the "old days" - now, I am not so sure. Seems less free than it was.

--jr

dvideo
04-28-2004, 11:22 PM
I have a terrible vision of something like a chicken gun - just point it at the potential jumper, fire the chicken (frozen or thawed?) - or net - and watch it knock them off their perch. How would you test such a thing?

--jr

wato
04-29-2004, 05:40 AM
Just shoot the fool and get on with the rest of the day. I don't have time to suffer these types of clowns.
Cheers.