PDA

View Full Version : Fully equipped machine shop FS in Jessup, GA

winchman
12-28-2013, 04:05 AM
http://valdosta.craigslist.org/tls/4242257468.html

Not far from Jacksonville and Savannah, but pretty rural.

oxford
12-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Its hard to tell from the pictures but that looks like it would be a pretty decent deal for someone wanting to start up a machine shop. I would wonder if the work is there in that area to support it though.

olcop
12-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Just down the street from the Rayonier Pulp Mill, don't know how much business they would get from there, but, it's a possibility.
Great fishing and hunting area, nice sized town and like all of South Georgia, very friendly people.
olcop

winchman
12-28-2013, 05:49 PM
There's also a railroad locomotive rebuilding facility in Patterson, about ten miles away.

WhatTheFlux!
12-28-2013, 05:54 PM
It all depends on how you market yourself. Those are some fairly substantial machines, so railroad and papermill rebuild/repair work would be a great place to start. Is there any other heavy industry in the area that would need large items turned?

This would be a great starting point for someone who wanted to tap into that sector. Machines, tooling, two potential customers down the street. Use it at as a starting point and go from there.

It however would not be a good shop for someone who wants to do small work, or production runs. I mean you could do production with the right fixture, but those machines to me scream "fabrication, repair and rebuild of heavy machinery."

mike4
12-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Its a pity that i am located in a different country as I would buy it in a snap , well setup , two potential customers and possibly others , depending on how you wanted to operate and your capabilities.
Also potential for expansion due to the land .

Michael

John Stevenson
12-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Can't buy a building plot that size here for that amount.

mike4
12-28-2013, 07:19 PM
The machines look to be in good condition and they have been working recently .
I wonder if the owner is just retiring and wants out or has the work dropped off to the extent that its not economical to hold on any more .

It would be a shame to see it broken up or worse scrapped.
Michael

RussZHC
12-28-2013, 11:04 PM
When I do happen across threads like this, I wonder...at lots of things. And am amazed at how different it is at or near different bbs members around the world.

Like John and Michael said. To me that is a price for just the land and even then a relative bargain. Closest local sale of a similar nature, fewer older machines (with one exception, a Haas vertical center in the middle of the floor surrounded by large, old beat up South Bends, very odd) next to no yard in an area of town you would rather not be and for 2.5x the money.

Rural, warmer than Winnipeg year-a-round, sounds more like a place I would want to live or retire to than start a shop in but I'd take either.

Euph0ny
12-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Most interesting, thanks. Find me the same deal in New Zealand, and I'd go there tomorrow...

Anybody recognise the beefy grey mill in the 12th photo?

DR
12-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Amazing what you can get for $139K in GA.

Those type machines shops are becoming a thing of the past. I mean shops that do heavy repair work. It takes a wide variety of skills and experience to make a go in that type work. Obviously, the seller has a feel for the demand of services for these machines and based on the price it's probably near zero.

metalmole
12-29-2013, 11:35 AM
I bought a mill from this guy a couple years ago, he was a very easy going and nice guy....

John Stevenson
12-29-2013, 12:20 PM
If you are not interested in the shop, still buy it, make a bit of a flat inside to live in then gradually sell everything off on Ebay and I'm betting you will make more together with the land value at the end of the day.

I can't comment on what work is available in that area or around but I know if I was in line to buy something like this I'd still buy it. Gut the heavy probably non paying stuff, replace with some smaller machines and make a range of good s that I could sell to support retirement.

I have long been a firm believer in "When one door closes, another opens"

KIMFAB
12-29-2013, 01:09 PM
I've been thinking of doing the exact same thing.
Spent 30 years equipping my shop with good machines and building up business on the side only to have it go into the toilet with the wife's cancer.

Now I have to decide whether to sell off and move near my kids or stick around and rebuild the business.
Prices are a little higher here near Vegas tho.

John Stevenson
12-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Kim,
Sorry to hear about the wife's cancer we we, Gert and myself recently had a conversation based on one of us having a serious illness.
This was actually brought about by a look at selling up and moving to smaller premises, this place we have is far too big for us and money hungry because of it's size but both our two business are based here and to move them we need a place identical to where we are ?

So do we wind down and sell up or stay.

I have already started downsizing in the past 18 months i have parted with 7 machines but 2 have been replaced by new. I have made a concious decision which has not been forced on me in any way that if i had to sell off and pull up roots provided i could keep a few bits that fitted into a 8 x 20 shop which is the average single garage size then I would.

The commercial side would have to go but with smaller premises that income wouldn't be needed, nice yes but not relied on.

I'm sure I could turn my hand to other things to keep busy and even earn a few bob.
I know of 5 magazines for one that would accept articles I'm sure.

I probably have enough knowledge to publish a book of some sort so income from royalties.

It only takes a small bench space to throw together controller boxes for CNC that don't blow up at the firts switch on - provided you keep away from gecko drives.:o

Gerts Ebay shop and website could keep us going until we decided we had had enough and i have more irons in the fire on unique parts anyway.

As I say, "As one door closes another opens"

Alistair Hosie
12-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Perhaps this is a not so obvious question, does that include the property too ? as John said you wouldn't even get the bare plot for that kind of money.It's a pity it was not for sale near me it would be a great bargain might still be in the states I have been to Savannah and jacksonvile in Florida both lovely places. Alistair

sasquatch
12-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Just my opinion, but i'm guessing that it's up for sale due to the bad economy.
Many areas of the US the real estate is in the dumps.

The Artful Bodger
12-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Most interesting, thanks. Find me the same deal in New Zealand, and I'd go there tomorrow...

That might be a bit difficult to match in NZ...
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/79/132252479.jpg
http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/businesses-for-sale/other/auction-626498524.htm
... not near as much machinery but the business makes good turnover with 300 clients.

Best part of NZ too, right down south on the Mainland!

RussZHC
12-29-2013, 05:54 PM
I wonder...at lots of things
took a quick "spin" around the town mentioned in the OP via Google Maps and one of the things that struck me was the impression that for the population that town/village/city is really spread out...what I would have thought would be the main commercial area, where the two major cross roads meet, seemed almost deserted...now granted Google maps may not be renewed all that often but I have been around and through a lot of smaller towns and a big three car dealership leaving a large empty lot up for sale is often not a very good sign. Lot of supposition on my part but one gets a feeling, you know?

Came across what I think could be a similar situation in a much smaller town in middle Saskatchewan, a welding shop up for sale. It has some level of appeal to me personally.
The seller pointed out this was in the middle of a farming area/community and such a shop was somewhat "essential" in many respects as needed. But, to me, family coming from one of those small farming communities, I am not sure that, the old way things used to be, is the case any longer. I mean every little village in western Canada at one point would have had someone who functioned as a mechanic, a welder, a machinist but you had to be all three and more to have any chance of making a living and it was never an "easy go". In this particular case Google map pictures shows a long abandoned gas station and often, in farming communities, that has meaning as to need (could be highway far less traveled, more reasons to make the trip to a larger center near by etc. etc.)

John Stevenson
12-29-2013, 06:07 PM
How much is a retirement condo over there ?

Everyone is basing their views / decisions on taking over a paying business but what if you want the business for own use / own product.

I'm thinking about something like Mark Hockett has or A2Z

http://www.a2zcnc.com/default.asp

Tim started off with the same type of gear we have and gradually moved up as he spotted niche markets. For all I know they could be leased.

I can't really comment only having visited the USA and not lived or worked there but if it's like over here if you are making your own product you can live anywhere there is a decent postal or carrier service.

mike4
12-29-2013, 06:52 PM
I was wondering how many 40 foot containers it would need to pack up the whole shop and move it ?

Michael