PDA

View Full Version : Screen names

1-800miner
12-28-2013, 10:14 AM
I just read an article about some forums are requiring real names rather than screen name in order to avoid trolling and spammers.

Question: How could they enforce it?

Would you want them to?

I have done some trading with some of you guys/gals and they know who and where I am.
But, personally, I don't want to broadcast that information across the cosmos.
I think that is asking for every creep and panhandler to knock on my front door.

BigBoy1
12-28-2013, 10:40 AM
How can having a fake screen name be attractive to trollers and spammers while putting down your real name avoids them? Doesn't compute!

vpt
12-28-2013, 10:42 AM
I am on a forum like that. Full name out there for people to see. But to be on the forum you have to be an owner of the product and only other owners can see your name. That I don't mind so much, but I like internet alias names. I have gone by VPT or snowseeker on the internets since the internet started back in the 60's.

Jaakko Fagerlund
12-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Asking for real name on an internet forum doesn't stop anything, unless the person is truly known in person by someone trusted. Nothing stops one entering "John Smith" or anything they like on the regstration form, as there is no way of checking the name unless the forum staff requires proof like valid ID or similar to be seen. So for general purpose forums the requirement for full real name is not an option nor does it improve quality at all.

Personally I'm on a couple of forums that deal with high security locks, opening them and the tools needed for such and there the real name is checked and required. Though getting on the forums is impossible without others approval, meaning someone has to vouch for you to get it.

CarlByrns
12-28-2013, 12:51 PM
My screen name is my name because I have nothing to hide.

Personally, I don't lend the same amount of credence to an alias as to someone who puts his/her real name on a post.

No creep or panhandler has ever knocked on my door.

David Powell
12-28-2013, 01:05 PM

Personally, I don't lend the same amount of credence to an alias as to someone who puts his/her real name on a post.

I use my own name on this and some other related forums. I will not put anything on the internet that I would not put on a billboard next to the 401 ( Busiest Highway in Canada) Like the previous poster I have never experienced anything untoward that in any way can be blamed on my using my own name. Using my own name has enabled some friends from long ago to reconnect. I conduct some business on the internet, but anything I deem as needing confidentality gets done in other ways. regards David Powell

Zero_Divide
12-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Well, easy for you guys who have "nice names"

My name is Eldar Gerfanov and not a single person yet has managed to pronounce or sometimes even spell it the right way the first time. I think it also may be a bit hard to remember.
I do not really hide my name, it is all on my website and my products. I just find it is easier for people to address me by my alias(which is almost like a brand now) rather than my name.
Besides, i've had it for almost 15 years.
My website's logs show people always look for zero_divide's calculator :)

KiddZimaHater
12-28-2013, 01:26 PM
I can think of some 'REAL' names for forums:
Hugh Jashol, Hugh Janus, Norma Stitz, Eileen Eulik, Anita Bath, Heywood Jablomey, Dick Senormus.
(I'm sure someone will be offended, in our no-fun society these days :rolleyes:)

WhatTheFlux!
12-28-2013, 01:37 PM
The logic behind requiring real names as opposed to handles is simple: Many people do not connect the words on the screen with an actual person. This is why people launch off on rants, engage in cyber-bullying and other online misbehavior. This problem is reinforced by the ability to be nothing more than a combination of letters and numbers.

It's been proven that folks are more likely to "attack" another person with a name like Sla245 or BlueWizard because those don't connect to the same part of the brain that registers "this is a person." You're not attacking a "person" you are attacking a set of interactive data-points. There is no emotional connection. Now if I post my real name Simon Walter VanNorman III people are less likely to pick on me -- because "Ah yeah, Simon. That's a person."

This all assumes that the person in question is not a raging asshat lacking social skills. It assumes that the person is not already a bully looking for fresh faces to pound. It assumes that we're all sane, rational, levelheaded people who are well adjusted and cope with life.

It does not take into account the number of people who DON'T match the above who hang out online. :)

wierdscience
12-28-2013, 01:38 PM

If you post your real name and you have your location posted.Almost anyone can find your residence in less than ten minutes and google street view will show them what your home looks like from the street unless you live off well off the beaten path.

That's not to say the next Charles Manson will show up at your door,but if you post pictures on a forum that include pictures of your shop you can't buy better advertising than that for a thief.

mikem
12-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Until you make some crazy guy mad!

CarlByrns
12-28-2013, 02:05 PM
If you post your real name and you have your location posted.Almost anyone can find your residence in less than ten minutes and google street view will show them what your home looks like from the street unless you live off well off the beaten path.

That's not to say the next Charles Manson will show up at your door,but if you post pictures on a forum that include pictures of your shop you can't buy better advertising than that for a thief.

That's just not logical.

A lot of my family is in law enforcement and they'll tell you thieves aren't going to bust ass to drag out heavy, hard to pawn, machine tools when they can go for high value jewelry or gold. No one has ever pawned a Bridgeport.

Where I live, no pawn shop will buy any power tool without either the original receipt or photo ID (and on big ticket items like generators, both). Pawn shops are leery of buying any specialized tooling because it will sit forever waiting for that one guy in the world to buy it.

CarlByrns
12-28-2013, 02:07 PM

Which could happen without the internet. Crazy people are...crazy. :eek:

brian Rupnow
12-28-2013, 02:12 PM
I've had a web site for the last 12 years with all my contact info on it, so I don't get too alarmed about putting my real name on a forum.---Brian

darryl
12-28-2013, 02:23 PM
I would use my real name, but then I'd have thousands of adoring fans jostling about on my front lawn all the time. We have a noise bylaw here, so I can't have that.

CarlByrns
12-28-2013, 02:28 PM

I used to be part of the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup and there were some certifiable nut jobs there. One guy constantly threatened his critics with weapons-grade computer viruses and even physical assault (provided the critic was willing to travel to the nut case's house). He regularly posted his critics home addresses (why?) on the NG.

He got spanked pretty hard when one of his critics posted pictures of A) the nut case (who, surprisingly, was not the Charles Atlas he said he was), B) Google Street View of his run down shack and attached dump, C) the nut case's public complaint file (being a nut case, it was a doozy) and so on.

Live by the sword...

CarlByrns
12-28-2013, 02:32 PM
I would use my real name, but then I'd have thousands of adoring fans jostling about on my front lawn all the time. We have a noise bylaw here, so I can't have that.

If they're truly adoring fans, they will be reverently quiet. Mine are.:)

SteveF
12-28-2013, 02:53 PM
That's just not logical.

Pawn shops are leery of buying any specialized tooling because it will sit forever waiting for that one guy in the world to buy it.

You must have a strange shop that isn't full of hundreds of dollars of hand tools and such. I know of several people who have had shops broken into and tools stolen.

Steve

darryl
12-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Well, this is just a bunch of cute girls from age 15 to 50. They've heard about my legendary machining skills and they just want to be near me. What can I do- :)

PStechPaul
12-28-2013, 03:27 PM
I have pretty much always used my real name or at least portions of it, and have had no problems (knock on wood). I usually use PStechPaul for technical forums such as this, which is a combination of my company, P S Technology, Inc (http://www.pstech-inc.com), and my real name Paul E. Schoen (http://www.peschoen.com), which narrows down the options if anyone wants to find me. They will also find my very protective and territorial 80 pound GSD/Mastiff dog, who has his own website www.muttleydog.com (http://www.muttleydog.com).

I started my on-line experience in 1996 at which time forums like this were bulletin boards (BBS) or usenet newsgroups. I have been posting to sci.electronics.design for over 15 years with my own name, and I was also active on soc.singles for quite some time. When I got my dog I started posting frequently on rec.pets.dogs.behavior, where I met a local dog trainer who gave me some free class sessions because Muttley was a rescue and I was trying to rehome him, but an unfortunate incident at one class led to a rather bitter and extended volley of vitriol among me and most of the regulars on that newsgroup. There was one infamous nutjob, Jerry Howe, AKA the Puppy Wizard, who actually tracked me down and called me from his home in Florida in an attempt to help me train Muttley his way. I have chronicled the story on Muttley's website.

I think it is helpful to have an avatar or image of oneself so that an on-line conversation becomes more personal. I don't think that is offered here. I usually use a version of the following:

http://www.muttleydog.com/pictures/PaulAndMuttley04.jpg

As you can see, Muttley is a rather sizeable dog, so anyone planning mischief would need to deal with him. And he would give me time to summon my other friends, Smith and Wesson. ;)

CarlByrns
12-28-2013, 04:18 PM
You must have a strange shop that isn't full of hundreds of dollars of hand tools and such. I know of several people who have had shops broken into and tools stolen.

Steve
The line of thought here is that posting pictures of your shop on a bbs/newsgroup/forum under your own name is an open invitation to would-be tool thieves.

So, did those people who had their shops broken into post pictures of their shop on a bbs/newsgroup/forum under their own names or with an alias?

Weston Bye
12-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Writing the Mechatronist column in Digital Machinist has made me a known man. My unusual name has made finding me with a Google search child's play. Most communications from readers comes through Village Press, but many have easily tracked me down and I get direct correspondence and phone calls occasionally. Without exception, these communications have been cordial and enjoyable, and I am gratified at the reader feedback on the articles.

Having read Neville Shute's Trustee from the Toolroom, about a machinist's magazine author somewhat like me, I like to think that I am building a network of friends that I might rely on in the event that I have to go on a great adventure.

doctor demo
12-28-2013, 05:15 PM

How does anyone on the other side of the interweb really know you are who you say you are, real name or not?

Credence / Alias Ratio huh? How do you know that I'm not a doctor and my last name isn't Demo or Demotovski or something ?

I'm not a Creep but I can be a little creepy (I've been told) and I'm not a panhandler but I have handled pans, pots and glassware but not professionally.

I don't know where your door is so I won't be knocking.

Steve, no really it is Steven but everyone calls me Steve

flutedchamber
12-28-2013, 05:25 PM
I post no pictures of my shop or my location. Ditto for my real name. There are no windows in my shop and and I can count the number of people that are allowed in it on less than one hand. Every entrance and every interior door is hard wired with an alarm. Every room has a motion detector. Outside has motion lights. All entrances face my house and are a clear shot from the front of my house. The shop is over 400 feet from the street. My house has an alarm system that makes the shop system look like Romper Room.

Am I paranoid? No, I'm careful. This is my second shop and I made all my mistakes in the first one. No alarm and letting people in the building allowed people to talk and others to listen. Someone decided that they wanted my tools more than I needed them. They got the passage door to the outbuilding open with a crowbar, which was heard by my dog, who woke me. Did you ever see the look on someones face when they come out a door with a box of your tools and have a 12 gauge shotgun shoved in their face? It's priceless. He lost control of his bladder, and bowels. He dropped the box on his foot and broke it. The shotgun barrel broke his nose. When the cops came they wouldn't let him sit in the car until I gave them an opened garbage bag with two leg holes cut in it to wear as a diaper.

How did he learn about the contents of my garage? From a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend that came with a friend of mine (he's a nice guy I was told) to my garage ONCE.

I have adopted the attitude that I trust no one until they earn my trust. Call that what you will, I call it careful.

SteveF
12-28-2013, 05:44 PM
So, did those people who had their shops broken into post pictures of their shop on a bbs/newsgroup/forum under their own names or with an alias?

Since we can't ask the people who stole the tools why they decided to hit those shops the answer to those questions really doesn't matter.

If people want to post their full names, pictures of shops and vacation schedule, it is certainly their right to do so but you won't find me doing it.

To reply to one other point you made, I've been on several forums where people who post under their full names regularly and helpfully provide information that is completely wrong so I never use that as a determining factor in valuing their posts.

Steve

seveerz
12-28-2013, 05:54 PM
+ on motion detector, SOB's took screws out of siding to steal my stuff, alarm was still on...

flutedchamber
12-28-2013, 06:06 PM
+ on motion detector, SOB's took screws out of siding to steal my stuff, alarm was still on...

I sent my 7 year old grandson in my garage to see if there was any places that allowed him to move undetected. We found a few and corrected them.

John Stevenson
12-28-2013, 06:32 PM
How does anyone on the other side of the interweb really know you are who you say you are, real name or not?

How do you know that I'm not a doctor and my last name isn't Demo or Demotovski or something ?

Steve, no really it is Steven but everyone calls me Steve

Because I have met you and you are just a big *****cat :D

Damn, I can't believe it edited pu$$ycat out !!

Mark Rand
12-28-2013, 06:49 PM
I normally go by my own name (Mark Rand) on the Interweb, but when joining the HSM forum I screwed up and used the user name I've got on most of my computer accounts. There doesn't seem to be a way for a user to change it.

John Stevenson
12-28-2013, 07:09 PM
I normally go by my own name (Mark Rand) on the Interweb, but when joining the HSM forum I screwed up and used the user name I've got on most of my computer accounts. There doesn't seem to be a way for a user to change it.

I have even got a photo of Mark parting with a 20 note, the only known occurrence since the Queen took to the throne in 1953.

Copies can be emailed over to interested parties at the very cheap rate of 20 Riyals until the end of the holiday and then $5.00 per photo after this.

John Stevenson
12-28-2013, 07:12 PM
I used to be part of the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup and there were some certifiable nut jobs there. One guy constantly threatened his critics with weapons-grade computer viruses and even physical assault (provided the critic was willing to travel to the nut case's house). He regularly posted his critics home addresses (why?) on the NG.

He got spanked pretty hard when one of his critics posted pictures of A) the nut case (who, surprisingly, was not the Charles Atlas he said he was), B) Google Street View of his run down shack and attached dump, C) the nut case's public complaint file (being a nut case, it was a doozy) and so on.

Live by the sword...

Began with a G ?

Doozer
12-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Cocktail.
Speller seems to allow cock.

--Doozer

George Seal
12-28-2013, 09:52 PM
I can't understand what this thread is about

Paul Alciatore
12-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Thieves have been known to steal the alarms.

wierdscience
12-29-2013, 12:21 AM
That's just not logical.

A lot of my family is in law enforcement and they'll tell you thieves aren't going to bust ass to drag out heavy, hard to pawn, machine tools when they can go for high value jewelry or gold. No one has ever pawned a Bridgeport.

Where I live, no pawn shop will buy any power tool without either the original receipt or photo ID (and on big ticket items like generators, both). Pawn shops are leery of buying any specialized tooling because it will sit forever waiting for that one guy in the world to buy it.

They haven't studied up on their homework.There is a god awful lot of stuff being sold on Craigslist that is stolen,it ranges from handtools to earthmoving machinery.Unless you have the model and serial# on record of each tool and IF they sell it locally and IF the local LEO actually goes looking for it then there is a chance of catching them,otherwise no.

And they won't take anything that's odd like a machinetool.Consumer products,vehicles and heavy equipment,oh and livestock,lately around here they have been taking livestock.

I have also have had stuff stolen from me in recent years that was completely illogical.But meth heads and pill poppers by nature aren't logical IMHO.

CarlByrns
12-29-2013, 01:43 AM
Began with a G ?

Sir John, er, Mohammad, you are correct.

G's tormenter went after him with an unholy vengeance. I just happened to lurk in on the RCM Google group at the exact moment the hammer fell. Great stuff.

CarlByrns
12-29-2013, 01:56 AM
They haven't studied up on their homework.There is a god awful lot of stuff being sold on Craigslist that is stolen,it ranges from handtools to earthmoving machinery.Unless you have the model and serial# on record of each tool and IF they sell it locally and IF the local LEO actually goes looking for it then there is a chance of catching them,otherwise no.

I have also have had stuff stolen from me in recent years that was completely illogical.But meth heads and pill poppers by nature aren't logical IMHO.

The police have done their homework: they simply don't have the resources to run down every craigslist ad, so they concentrate on the pawn shops and secondhand stores where the majority of stolen goods wind up and at least in theory the shopkeeper is recording every transaction.

Undoubtedly stolen merchandise shows up on craigslist, but that is a slow method of getting rid of loot (and strung out druggies will always take a little cash now instead of a lot later) and carries the risk that the original owner will see his stuff and either call the cops or just take things into his own hands.

John Stevenson
12-29-2013, 07:03 AM

G's tormenter went after him with an unholy vengeance. I just happened to lurk in on the RCM Google group at the exact moment the hammer fell. Great stuff.

Brilliant.
No idea of the dates this went on would you ? Love to google back and read up.

That ijit is one of the main reasons that RCM went the way it did.

At one time it was very close to this forum in the spreading of ideas but because it was a public newsgroup with no moderation, ijits like Gunner we able to wreck the place for everybody.

PStechPaul
12-29-2013, 07:40 AM
I seem to remember someone named Gunner when I briefly visited rec.crafts.metalworking some time ago. I just checked and there is someone named Gunner Asch who has made some recent posts, seemingly politically oriented and pro-NRA and shoot-em-up from what I saw.

There are crazies on all public usenet newsgroups. There is an Aussie named Phil Allison on sci.electronics.design who has what seems to be an on-line form of Tourette's Syndrome, or perhaps Coprolalia (http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=12349), where he goes on tirades of immature profanity at the slightest perceived insult or lack of understanding. He has good advice sometimes, but he is definitely a hot-head. :D

vincemulhollon
12-29-2013, 08:59 AM

The more important question is did the thieves look at online forums or rely on just prowling, sneaking around, first unlocked door they found, etc?

The problem with using HSM BBS to "harvest" is a plane ticket to Upstate NY or the black forest in Germany or some lake in Canada or all these other national/international locations we live in, costs about two to three more zeros than your average fence or CL ad revenue from a small light hand tool.

Lets say one of the local meth heads wanted to steal from black forest. I just checked Lufthansa and a short 8 hour (each way) flight will cost a mere $1133.20 round trip. Then steal Black Forest's favorite micrometer, and a short 8 hour return flight later he could be selling that mic to a local fence or CL or ebay or whatever for perhaps $10 to $20. Perhaps this financial planning is why meth heads are all so poor. Donno. Aside from the financial issue you're looking at "investing" 24+ hours and going into withdrawal twice during 8 hour flights to obtain a mere $20. Shoplifting at the local walmart / target seems an almost infinitely better idea in that he could surely gather more than $20 of product, and even if caught spend less than a day in jail, probably just booked and released. Also the meth head has to drive past 100-500 stores before reaching the airport. It just doesn't seem a realistic way to fund a habit.

There are also certain socioeconomic / cultural issues, such as participating here requires the ability to read and write English, or at least just read English. Your average meth head would have a much easier time finding victims on youtube or CL or facebook than visiting here. For example, if you've ever read the comments section on youtube, most of those folks are clearly on very heavy drugs.

There are other cultural issues that non USA residents won't understand. To the general public, there seems no reason to own machine tools that to be a gunsmith. Locally, the lifespan of your average thief-of-gunsmiths is not going to be very long, and I know it sounds very wild west but we like it that way. So even though I don't gunsmith, I get a certain "herd immunity".

Finally there are certain logistical issues. Have a nice big glass window and a well lit workbench with a micrometer laying out on the bench? Well, that might get stolen. On the other hand, if someone broke into my basement shop and started rooting around for my boring head and boring bar collection, its in a plastic box and I couldn't find it last night, and nothing freaks out a burglar more than spending hours looking. Better off just grabbing checkbooks and jewelry boxes than spending 45 minutes trying to find my boring head. It took me nearly any hour last night!

SGW
12-29-2013, 09:18 AM
If any thief got into my shop, they would trip on all the junk and break their neck.

GEP
12-29-2013, 09:37 AM
My 2 cents
I use my initials, a assumed name is mostly used by people that want to hide there identity, wrong doers and crook's locations are also used the same way

loose nut
12-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Lets say one of the local meth heads wanted to steal from black forest. I just checked Lufthansa and a short 8 hour (each way) flight will cost a mere $1133.20 round trip. Then steal Black Forest's favorite micrometer, and a short 8 hour return flight later he could be selling that mic to a local fence or CL or ebay or whatever for perhaps $10 to $20.

Suppose it isn't for theft. Suppose Black Forest says something on the forum that totally outrages a mentally unstable member. The only thing protecting him, from being ambushed with a Metric 2 x 4, is his "handle" and the fact that maybe said fruit cake may not be able to find him without his real name.

There isn't a shortage of crazy's on the world.

wierdscience
12-29-2013, 10:00 AM
The police have done their homework: they simply don't have the resources to run down every craigslist ad, so they concentrate on the pawn shops and secondhand stores where the majority of stolen goods wind up and at least in theory the shopkeeper is recording every transaction.

Undoubtedly stolen merchandise shows up on craigslist, but that is a slow method of getting rid of loot (and strung out druggies will always take a little cash now instead of a lot later) and carries the risk that the original owner will see his stuff and either call the cops or just take things into his own hands.

Which is exactly why they have switched to using CL.My shop out in the country was hit,they stole machinery parts to sell for scrap and did a lot of work to get them out and loaded for the $100 they probably got in scrap.They aren't logical in the slightest,the work they did getting that stuff they could have made much more in the same time by getting a job at McDonalds.

More and more articles are showing up every week where social media is being used both to find targets and get rid of the stolen property.In this day and age when finding someone with only a name and general location is easy,IMO posting such on an open forum is just removing a couple layers of free security.

loose nut
12-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Which is why I don't use Facebook, Twitter or any of the other sites, that and the fact that I actually have a life.

Black Forest
12-29-2013, 10:26 AM
There are other reasons not to use your real name. I would tell you but then I would have to kill you!

We have a gang of very organized criminals in our area. They are targeting houses and farms of the people that go to church on a regular basis. They troll and see who goes regularly and then his the houses or farm. They are taking small items and large items. As in tractors and machinery.

Certainly in my case they will have a surprise waiting for them if the feel the need to hit my place.

wierdscience
12-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Which is why I don't use Facebook, Twitter or any of the other sites, that and the fact that I actually have a life.

I don't either,a few months back there was an article about a motorcycle theft ring that operated in five or six cities.They used FB and chat forums to find victims and organise across distance,it's no longer a simple world.

Stern
12-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Well, I have used a form of my screen name since I signed up with Microsoft on dial-up to surf a new thing called the web. Back then it was more "pick a short name" be4cause you were limited, and now I use the same thing because its easier to remember lol.
As for people hunting down you shop to steel stuff.... that is a very real possibility. We are NOT talking crack heads here, we are talking smart, talented (use this loosely) and well equipped people that can pull up in a truck and have the place cleaned out in minuits (even big stuff). Think about it .... a guy is loading his car with hand tools from your shop .... some sees, they KNOW whats going on. Someone shows up with a truck and fork lift and starts removing heavy stuff, no one would think its theft. Have heard of a few shops cleaned out at night like this. I was also working with a friend doing pipe work, and in the time it took him to take a section of 2" pipe inside from the Rigid 300 and walk back, it was gone. Someone outside saw 2 guys pull up with a pickup and laod the thing in the back ... nice and calmly and not in any rush ... which made the witness think it was the contractor himself or his guys.

That along with the fact that law is FAR different here in Canada makes me take steps to prevent being on a list. First thing, unlike the US, if someone does break into my garage and trips over the crap I have all over the place .... I GET SUED. I also cant use ANY form of force on an intruder as I can again be SUED. I can even be sued if my dog bites an intruder .... REGARDLESS of the fact the injury occurred during the commissi0on of a felony!. Only way I have ever found to loophole this is to rig up a C02 tank to dump during a break in (but MUST look like an accident), then the cops can remove the crooks in a body bag.

Glug
12-29-2013, 10:44 AM
We have a gang of very organized criminals in our area. They are targeting houses and farms of the people that go to church on a regular basis. They troll and see who goes regularly and then his the houses or farm.

I wonder if that is the same gang that my 83 year old Grandmother speaks about from her days as a child? They would steal your ripe crops while you were at church.

Apparently some things never change.

Black Forest
12-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Suppose it isn't for theft. Suppose Black Forest says something on the forum that totally outrages a mentally unstable member(I read A.K. Boomer).

There isn't a shortage of crazy's on the world.

My point exactly!

Lew Hartswick
12-29-2013, 11:01 AM

I suspected that was who was referred to. :-) . I sort of dropped out of RCM a few yers ago when it became about 90+% political. I could handle 50% . :-)
As to name vs handle: I have always used my name ( been about 20 years now) and
havent had any problems. I guess there are always going to be those paranoid ones
who are afraid of the "boogy man" on the web. As to pictures of shops: :-) My metal
shop has been the "Metal Shop" of a local high school for the last 15 years so I have
no security problems. :-) and a lot more equipment available than almost any of you.
...lew...

vpt
12-29-2013, 11:08 AM
I don't use my real name or any info on facebook either.

CarlByrns
12-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Brilliant.
No idea of the dates this went on would you ? Love to google back and read up.

That ijit is one of the main reasons that RCM went the way it did.

At one time it was very close to this forum in the spreading of ideas but because it was a public newsgroup with no moderation, ijits like Gunner we able to wreck the place for everybody.

PM sent.

Rich Carlstedt
12-29-2013, 12:56 PM
I have hesitated to answer here, because my time goes waaay back to the early forums and RCM.
Back then, most posters used their real names. It was a tight community and one I loved to be part of.
As the web evolved , posters became anonymous, and that led to personal vilification and rancorous posts in many cases.
I was there and I saw it, and it caused me to gravitate away from postings.
(It was because of this, that Chaski started, and I believe HSM responded to the need as well)

For awhile I would not respond to a "handle" posting at all because of this.
As always, it was the "handle " that posted an attack on my posting or that of others.
Having worked in shops all my life, I know there are more ways to skin a cat (so to speak) in machining.
Yet you have those who believe there is only one way , their way !
Reasonable disagreements will always occur , but it need not be vindictive
I am not saying that if you have a handle, you are a loose cannon.....but I will say that loose cannons use handles !

My age does not let me play games.. never liked such immature mental play.
In my book, a man's word is his creed.
If you see the real name , it has more meaning for sincerity and truth !

Rich

dp
12-29-2013, 01:11 PM
This is simpler than this thread is making clear. There are people who do a better job of protecting their identity and property than others. They have reduced risk of having identity or property theft. They have not eliminated it, of course. Is this even a problem? Yes - it is very definitely a problem. Does this mean you will be a victim if you don't protect yourself? No. Probabilities comes in to play as does life style. The greatest protection we all have is that there are people who not only do nothing to protect themselves, they go out of their way to set themselves up for id or property theft, and thus are the low hanging fruit. So long as those idiots are out there we're all just a little safer. But I'm even more safe.

loose nut
12-29-2013, 01:25 PM
I am not saying that if you have a handle, you are a loose cannon.....

But what if we are ....Muwaaahahahaha.

You may not like to hide, maybe you feel it is morally wrong or dishonest, as if people that use handles are hiding something but like Dp says you are the low hanging fruit. Many of us are just trying to survive in a world that is increasingly corrupt and without morality. The best way to do that is to NOT make a target of yourself.

Forcing people to use a REAL name will just reduce the number of people on a forum.

The Artful Bodger
12-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Any nutters or scroats who are likely to pilfer my shed live right around here in this very town and I am not about to wear a mask or use a false name when I go to the pub to frustrate them. Revealing my name online seems a trivial risk in comparison.

Arthur.Marks
12-29-2013, 01:46 PM
In comparison to above, a few funny stories:

Maybe six months ago I walked into my local metal distributor's will-call for an order. "Hi, Arthur! I just spoke with your wife." Huh?! :confused: I'm not married. She just shared my last name, and the clerk I know made an assumption.
When I was a young teenager, my father had to deal with a massive snafu regarding his credit. I want to say the IRS even had a hand in bumbling it up! (It involved unpaid taxes) Turns out there were, honest to god, two men with the same name living in our zip code. Only one, of course, was my father. :D Same middle initial even -- but different middle name. Now that I'm older, I wonder if it was the same family as "Marks Bros. Gold Pawn" shops that dot that area?
There were three other Arthur Marks' residing in Manhattan when I lived there, and that was just the ones publicly listed in the phone book! Ah, the benefits of the 'big city.' Haha

flutedchamber
12-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Thieves have been known to steal the alarms.

A good quality alarm is theftproof. If you disconnect any wire it activates. If you try to open the cover on the alarm, it activates. If you try to remove or tamper with the siren, it activates. For assurance you run two sirens.

KIMFAB
12-29-2013, 01:56 PM
I use my company name as my handle, My name and address is easily found by checking my website.

My best protection is my location,
Even if you can find Logandale chances are pretty good you are not going to bother to drive all that way to try to steal something.
I have a not-so-nice surprise for those that might :)

Mike Nash
12-29-2013, 02:22 PM
A good quality alarm is theftproof. If you disconnect any wire it activates. If you try to open the cover on the alarm, it activates. If you try to remove or tamper with the siren, it activates. For assurance you run two sirens.

This all assumes someone is going to think there is something amiss going on rather than the typical "that jerk's alarm is going off again!" Just like car alarms, nobody cares, they just wish they weren't triggering falsely all the time.

Arcane
12-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Surprisingly enough, this is the only Forum that I use an alias on. All others I use my full name or first name initial with last name...and one Forum I mistyped and just entered my last name.

The reason I used an alias is because this is the first Forum I ever joined and I simply followed the herd and did what I saw most others doing. Good enough for them...good enough for me! Soon after there was another thread identical to this one and I decided to use my real name after that if I joined other Forums due to the logic presented by people who believe people should use their real names.

OTOH, I also believe that depending on the Forum and the nut cases that may frequent it it might be prudent to sometimes use an alias.

PStechPaul
12-29-2013, 03:19 PM
I live in a fairly rural sort of area and it is not easily accessible, but I am within less than a mile of subsidized housing where crime is on the rise. In my 35 years of owning my property here (and not continuously living in the houses), I have only had a few incidents of theft. When I first moved here in 1977 I had a small garden in the back on top of a hill which was out of sight from the house, and when the corn was just about ripe it disappeared. I had thought it was from animals, but one of my neighbors told me that another neighbor had taken it. I thought it was the people in more modern suburban homes across the stream in the back, but I found out later it was my immediate neighbor who had told his kid to steal it. I had other run-ins with him, and he was just an A-hole.

Later, someone took some logs I had cut up for firewood. Just a crime of opportunity, but still wrong. The police said I would need to post my property with "No Trespassing" signs and enforce it with due diligence in order to do anything about it.

I moved out for a while, and somebody stole a lawnmower I had on my porch. Again, a crime of opportunity, and not a huge financial loss.

When I purchased an adjoining property, I had my brother and his "hoodlum" buddies do some major renovations and a complete rough-in plumbing job. One of the guys wanted me to give him some money for the work, and I told him I had to go out of town for a couple of days but would pay him when I returned. When I did, I found the back door had been jimmied and a bunch of tools were missing, both mine and my brother's. He said he thought he knew who did it, and he may have been peeved because I didn't pay him immediately. My homeowners insurance covered most of the loss.

More recently, since I have been living here full time, I had some problems with contractors. One guy and his girlfriend did a lot of work, but was always demanding more money to do stuff. There was about a week's worth of work to complete, and I told him that would be the end of this phase of work, and I gave him $1500 in advance. Big mistake. He did a short day's work and then never showed up again, and apparently left town. I think he may have been on drugs, as he seemed edgy and nervous and his eyes didn't look right.

I had another contractor, who was actually licensed, do some major work on my other house where I am living now. He did a lot of work, but always found more to do than I had originally agreed to, and he failed to finish a few final details. Also I found some tools missing, but nothing really major, just hand tools that could have gotten mixed up with his that were similar.

In April of this year, I had my right hip replaced, and while I was in rehab, I figured it would be a good time to have some more work done, especially things that would be necessary for me to return home while still hobbling around. I called a guy (whose name was Roach, BTW), who was highly recommended by my dentist, and I met him here and explained what I needed, and gave him my key and $500 to get started. Later, I stopped by to get some veggies from my freezer, and found it mostly cleaned out. He had also cleaned up lots of "junk" and had done a few other things as agreed upon. I asked him about it and he said the food was bad. No biggie. Then he asked for an additional $800 to get more done, and I gave him a check. Then I didn't hear from him for awhile, and finally in early June I moved back, although some of the work had not been finished.

I had a small lawn tractor battery on my porch, and I looked for it so I could charge it up. I spent a couple hours looking for it, and thought maybe someone had nicked it, but when I called Mr. Roach he said he had thought it was just junk so he took it and tried to use it on his son's mower, but it didn't work and he scrapped it for a couple dollars. He offered to pay for it, but no big deal. It just pissed me off that he didn't even try to charge it, and assumed he could just take it without permission. I made arrangements for him to come back out and finish the work. Then I had some work to do, for which I needed a calibration fixture which was a brass shunt with heavy copper welding cables and some aluminum, but I could not find it where I was sure it was. But he said that he had moved a lot of things around and put stuff in boxes and it was probably there. So he came out, asked for another $100 so he could buy a $35 railing that was part of the original deal, and (while I was there watching him) he performed a number of useful chores, but he complained that he was working four hours for only $65.

After he left, I searched more diligently, and discovered that I was also missing my coin collection, a camera, and other items on and around the same shelf where the calibration fixture had been. I made a police report and when I talked to Mr. Roach he denied anything about the valuables but said that he had carried bags full of "junk" out of that room and the calibration fixture might have been among those things, but I'm sure he took it and another similar item for the value of the metal. He probably got no more than $5 while it was worth over $200 to me for my work. And then he probably got greedy when he saw the more valuable items.

So a police detective was assigned to the case and he interviewed me and him, and because of some inconsistencies in his statements he was convinced that a crime had been committed and it went to trial in September, but his lawyer had it postponed until February. I would not have been so quick to trust this guy (a handyman, actually, and not really a contractor), except that he has had him do work for him over the last several years and has given him his key, and he has lots of valuables in his home with no problems.

I think this guy has been having financial problems because he told me he has been getting very expensive injections in his neck to control debilitating pain that will probably require surgery, and his only health insurance is through his wife. But there is no excuse to steal from a client, especially when he was recommended so highly, and as he even said, his word and honesty is necessary for his continued employment. But perhaps his judgment was clouded by pain and desperation, and he just saw a quick opportunity without considering the consequences.

I even gave him an "out", saying that perhaps he had someone else working for him who might have done the dirty deed, or perhaps he had left the house unlocked and somebody came in and took the stuff. He even said maybe somebody broke in, but there were no signs of forced entry. Also, anyone who would have just gotten in would have ransacked the place looking for a quick take of valuables, but the evidence points to someone who had all the time in the world by having free access to the house as he had. It will be interesting to see how this case is decided.;)

The Artful Bodger
12-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Re Arthur Marks funny stories...

I answered an ad for a flat sharing situation and the guy who took the message seems a little odd when I gave my name. Next day I went around to check the place out etc and said at the door "Hi, I am John Hill to see about the flat position", the response was "He will be home soon". So, two John Hills sharing the same telephone and address but we all got on well enough.

One morning while I was out trying to get my bike started I heard the phone ring but thought nothing of it as I was running a bit late for work. Meanwhile someone answered the phone and the message was "Tell John Hill he is late for work!" so they did, waking up the oJH (other John Hill).

oJH dragged himself out of bed and pedalled his bike out to the glass works for his shift but the man on the gate said "What are you doing back here so soon John?". oJH had only just got into his bed after having done a night shift...

flutedchamber
12-29-2013, 04:00 PM
This all assumes someone is going to think there is something amiss going on rather than the typical "that jerk's alarm is going off again!" Just like car alarms, nobody cares, they just wish they weren't triggering falsely all the time.

A well designed system all but eliminates false alarms. Family across the street, being home most of the time and watchful neighbors that I grew up with complete the package. I watch your property, you watch mine.

Rosco-P
12-29-2013, 07:22 PM

Enforce more verifiable information? Names, city, state?? How would you verify it? Some of you have forgotten the insult assault barrages that went on during weekends and holidays from the keyboard of a previous forum member and competing forum owner. No, I don't mean Don of PM fame. This person managed to sneak back in after being banned several times.

Arthur.Marks
12-29-2013, 07:53 PM
So, two John Hills sharing the same telephone and address but we all got on well enough.
That's just too funny!! :D Haha -- how did you even open the right mail?!

CarlByrns
12-30-2013, 12:07 AM
So, two John Hills sharing the same telephone and address but we all got on well enough.

My aunt lived in an apartment complex in New York City and there was another woman with the exact same name in the same complex. What are the odds?

gambler
12-30-2013, 12:31 AM
being on several motorcycle forums, with easily stolen valuables(motorcycles), I choose to remain anonymous. I use the same name on every forum. Oh, the answer is yes, I do.

The Artful Bodger
12-30-2013, 02:22 AM
That's just too funny!! :D Haha -- how did you even open the right mail?!

Yea, that used to get mixed up too!

The Artful Bodger
12-30-2013, 02:34 AM
My aunt lived in an apartment complex in New York City and there was another woman with the exact same name in the same complex. What are the odds?

We were getting junk mail from real estate agents wanting to handle the running of our rental properties in Auckland, I sent them a message and asked to be taken off their list as they were not our properties. But they insisted and said the land registry office listed us as the owners and the crap kept arriving. Then I called the Auckland city offices and asked for the address of the owners according to their records but they refused, privacy issues! So I told her the story and she sort of laughed a little and asked if she could 'confirm my address' then read out the address she had! Ha ha! we each had a little laugh and I thanked her.

Then I called the annoying real estate folks again and gave them the real address of the owners but they claimed they could not change the land registry records unless they were selling the property. I told the silly bitch if she thought we were the owners to sell the properties and send us the money. Meanwhile I had written to the address the city office had slipped me and I got a reply including a phone number, not only did the young guy there have the same name as me but he had the same birthday although a different year.

P.S. If the properties were sold as we never received any money!

MrFluffy
12-30-2013, 04:02 AM
Hiding behind my alias? of course I am. But not from you nor any of the reasons offered so far in insult, I could be found easy enough because of the amount of footprints Ive left behind over the years on the net, plus quite a lot of people who know me outside of work refer to me as this name or identity.

What I am trying to do is avoiding my employers and recruiters finding what I do for fun as I work in a conservative area filled with management types where some of my racing and fabrication activities might raise eyebrows, and at recruitment time you need to be as 2.1 children suburban normal on paper as you can be. Sure some of them are interesting once you are there, but you can open up once you have the role so until then the name of the game is providing a stagemanaged sterile apple pie profile, footprints in google, normal facebook profile etc. And I have been part of the interview process and seen the results back from research agencies contracted in to gather the same, so we can't write this one off to some crazys paranoia.

If I really wanted to hide my identity to troll a forum, I'd just use some obviously not fake fake name, like Gerald Bailey etc, not something easy to spot as a fake. Maybe one of you guys posting under your real name because you have nothing to hide might be doing double bluff? how can we trust you? the same as we can everyone else, that is weigh up the advice given over the postings until you get a feel, plus ask things out in the open and see how many agree/disagree.

The Artful Bodger
12-30-2013, 04:09 AM
How the heck did you find my real name is Gerald Bailey?:D

malbenbut
12-30-2013, 06:29 AM
No, I am Gerald Bailey.
MBB

J Tiers
12-30-2013, 08:21 AM
I thought he wrote Bailey Gerald..... that would be me....

Agree that "real" names are not really required. Not unless you have a verification means, and there isn't really any point to that.

Some of the various means of verifying registrations as being a person are fine, un;ess someone really thinks the forum is that high in value as a target, they will not use the relatively high powered means of getting through the "capcha" and "common knowledge question" gates.

Most folks who want to break into a forum to post don't see it as worth that, and many wouldn't know how to get around anything. They will only get a few ad posts before they are booted and rooted out anyway.

I suppose one good idea might be to allow anyone to view the forum, but to restrict the poster name and location to members only. Everyone else would see only a "series number" for the name, and nothing for the location.

loose nut
12-30-2013, 10:56 AM
I have been on the web for the last 20 years and if I do a Google search on myself I get nothing. I like it that way. So far no one has found out that I really am the real Gerald Bailey.

Jon Heron
12-30-2013, 02:05 PM

DITTO! Been using my real name since about 1998 without ever having any issues whatsoever.
Cheers,
Jon

PStechPaul
12-30-2013, 03:22 PM
It used to be that Schoen was a rare name, and the only entries in the phone book were relatives. When I went to college, there was another Paul E Schoen who studied there, and sometimes our mail got mixed up. I think the first I knew of him was when I was standing in line at the bookstore, and I watched the guy ahead of me sign his name - Paul E Schoen - and I was so astonished I didn't even think to talk to him. He is now (or at least was) a research scientist working on Carbon nanotubes or something for the Navy. I called and spoke to him once, but we had little in common except our names. He said he knew of another Paul E Schoen who was a poet, but that was almost certainly me: http://peschoen.com/earlypoems.txt

Rich Carlstedt
03-25-2014, 08:41 PM
This thread is 3 months old and seem to gravitate to posters giving reasons for trying to protect their of shops and tooling, and or personal identification.
There also is the problem of posters being unkind or vicious to others and hiding behind false or riddled names

This study speaks of this issue, and I believe is the basis for forums failing in time
Rich

http://academicearth.org/electives/psychology-internet-troll/

flutedchamber
03-26-2014, 12:40 AM
This thread is 3 months old and seem to gravitate to posters giving reasons for trying to protect their of shops and tooling, and or personal identification.
There also is the problem of posters being unkind or vicious to others and hiding behind false or riddled names

This study speaks of this issue, and I believe is the basis for forums failing in time
Rich

http://academicearth.org/electives/psychology-internet-troll/

The study was interesting, and may well be correct. However, I don't really believe a person not using their name or their correct name online has anything to do with being unkind or vicious.

I don't use my real name simply because I don't consider it anyone's business what my name is. We have precious few rights left in this country, and privacy is one that I value highly. I have nothing to hide, I just am a private person. I've encountered people on other websites, both machinist related and otherwise that use their own name and are total ignorant snobs and a**holes. It's the personality of the person, not the name or lack thereof.

As far as the people that use their given names. How do you know for sure it is their real name? Perhaps my name is John Fredrickson, George Smith, or Ronald Brown..or none of those. Who would know? The only person that knows for sure is whoever is claiming to be that person. Being a private person does not make you a troll.

dp
03-26-2014, 01:04 AM
I use dp because Duart Pharquart is too hard to spell.

Mike Amick
03-26-2014, 01:29 AM
People are way less likely to be rude or accusatory using their real names. Actually it can
be looked at in degrees.

I ran a RR forum where the posters didn't even have to register. They could post totally
anonymously. It turned into a bit of a "This F'in boss is an asshole" type thing. It was
pretty popular and I was getting over 100,000 hits a month. I eventually had to cool it for
obvious reasons and required people to at least register and use a screen name. It cooled
it way down. There is no doubt in my mind that if I would have requested people to
use their own names that it would have stopped almost all the ugliness.

Being a private person doesn't make you an asshole. But using a screen name makes
it easier to be one.

Mike A

Boostinjdm
03-26-2014, 02:07 AM
I can google my real name with details like the city I grew up in, or my high school, or anything else somebody that knows me in person would know. According to google, I don't exist. Now if I google my screen name, I'm everywhere. I use the same screen name on every forum I'm on. That's how you guys on the internet know me.

I find it easier to remember other people's screen names than their real names. I treat screen names like I do nicknames. They seem to fit the person they're attached to.

malbenbut
03-26-2014, 05:16 AM
When I got my first computer and joined forums I thought you had to use a nickname as every one seemed to use one and it was the done thing. Not because I was trying to hide anything in fact I used the first three letters of my first second and third names. I must admit there are advantages in using a screen name so when you speak to someone face to face and they don't know that you post on a forum and that when they say that gobsh*te says such and such they don't know it's you.

MBB

mike4
03-26-2014, 05:21 AM
Maybe some of us don't want everyone to know that we belong to a group of old pro's who play with their tools.
Michael

malbenbut
03-26-2014, 07:55 AM
Sorry double post

MBB

BigMike782
03-26-2014, 08:06 AM
My first name is Mike, I'm big and 782 is random(kinda).....pretty easy.

J Tiers
03-26-2014, 08:29 AM
I expect that nearly anyone, other than folks named "John Smith" who live in a large city, can be found, and an on-line picture of their house located, given their actual name and location. Might take as long as 5 minutes.

So there is some point to not posting everything about yourself.

However, as has been pointed out, a "real name" only means words that form a name. No clue whether or not the name actually belongs to you, or whether maybe it's someone else's name.

And, I have been known to use my real name.... except that it isn't ALL of my real name.... middle names, especially if you have more than one of them, are pretty useful.

Just use your middle name as if it were your first name, or perhaps as if it were your last name.... David Henry Worthington might be David Henry, or Henry Worthington, or perhaps Henry David, etc, etc. if the last name were James, as in David Henry James, the possibilities are even better.

loose nut
03-26-2014, 09:43 AM
For some a handle is a better descriptor of who the person is then a name.

Mu waa ha ha ha haaa

CCWKen
03-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Ditto on that JT. There was one guy on this forum that got into an argument with another and ended up posting vital information about that person. Including his address, property taxes, property value, etc. Granted this is public information but it not the kind of info I'd want posted. Anyone that's contacted me knows my name. Otherwise; call me Ken, CCW, CCWKen or David Henry Smith. Or don't call me. Doesn't really matter to me. :)

doctor demo
03-26-2014, 02:36 PM
I use dp because Duart Pharquart is too hard to spell.

Hey Dennis, with nearly the same last name as mine............I thought that ( DP ) was short for "Diabolical Psychotic":D.

Steve

Alistair Hosie
03-26-2014, 04:10 PM
In order to protect my workshops ( 2 off) wood and metal I give as little address information as possible.I do use my real name on this site and Scotsman on a woodworking site the only two I am on or use.Anyway my sister lives on an island without electricity and she goes under the name fanny by gaslight when she comes here to use my computer, and is very well known in Scotland

boslab
03-26-2014, 05:20 PM
In order to protect my workshops ( 2 off) wood and metal I give as little address information as possible.I do use my real name on this site and Scotsman on a woodworking site the only two I am on or use.Anyway my sister lives on an island without electricity and she goes under the name fanny by gaslight when she comes here to use my computer, and is very well known in Scotland
I havent heared that name since my mum died!, the good old days
Mark, or marj as j and k are next to each other
Mark

mike4
03-27-2014, 03:34 AM
If we have to start using real names to log in , we have almost reached the limits of the paranoia that a lot of so called law makers suffer from .
I often wonder how those people who claim to be so perfect and "represent " so many managed to hide their lying and cheating which enabled them to get preselected and then voted in .

I would rather have a representative who was normal , by that I mean a few speeding fines , maybe a DUI, or an assault charge .
That is far more representative of the people in the street so to speak than any "perfect " do gooder ever could aspire to be.
Michael

loose nut
03-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Well you would just love the Toronto mayor, Rob Ford.

Jon Heron
03-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Well you would just love the Toronto mayor, Rob Ford.
LMAO!
+1
http://www.torontolife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/the-ford-brothers-bong.jpg
http://www.everyjoe.com/wp-content/gallery/rob-ford-crack-cocaine/rob-ford-crack-meme-photos-3.jpg
Cheers,
Jon

mike4
03-27-2014, 06:12 PM
At least he is open about it ,unlike the self appointed protectors of society who leap on any person who dares to say or do anything different .

Eg , mobile phone use , work ability , super fine tolerances when not required to list a few.

Michael

Wheels17
03-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Kind of jumping back to the theft issue, I married into a large ethnic family. It was the responsibility of the second cousins to negotiate among themselves to choose a house sitter for the family during the funeral. I don't know if it ever stopped an actual theft, but the tradition was common knowledge in the community so it may have been effective just by being a tradition.