PDA

View Full Version : 110v servo motor?

quasi
12-29-2013, 10:43 PM
does anyone here have any experience with these, I am considering putting them on my Drill press and die filer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Nick-O-Sew-NKS-5500-110V-Servo-Motor-BEST-QUALITY-/111088994260?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item19dd6b87d4

dalee100
12-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Hi,

I think it might work fine on your die filer. But the drill press may be problematic if you wish to direct drive at low rpms and larger drills. Like most small DC motors on a speed controller, it may not provide enough power at low rpms to satisfy you. But coupled to a step pulley setup, it could be the cats meow. Allowing fine tuning of speeds while keeping the motor in the best part of it's power curve.

I will probably be investing in such a motor for my benchtop lathe. I think coupled with the pulleys it should give excellent service.

Dalee

Mike Amick
12-30-2013, 11:07 PM
I really like motors and speed controls and this combo looks like a nice package. I do have
to admit that I have no experience with "servos" and it would be cool to play with it and
see its behavior. All the servo controllers I have pics of before always looked very involved
but this one is super simplistic. Pretty neat .. I saved the link

Thanks
Mike A

macona
12-30-2013, 11:16 PM
If that is a true servo for a sewing machine they have a small tachometer on the motor to close the loop so you have full (or near it) torque at all speeds. You need this with industrial sewing machines, especially if you are doing heavy materials.

It ought to work.

darryl
12-30-2013, 11:45 PM
If it's a true servo- I was wondering about this myself. Otherwise it's a relatively common type motor, which would exhibit the same type of performance that you see with common sewing machines- give it some gas, it just hums, then suddenly you get more speed than you wanted.

macona
12-31-2013, 12:27 AM
Not on a commercial sewing machine. They have oodles of power as soon as you touch the pedal. A simple closed loop circuit is not difficult, bosch uses a similar setup in their small bench wood lathes.

Tom Curlee
12-31-2013, 12:57 AM
As has been mentioned, an important thing to determine is it a true servo? Also, what is the physical size and what kind of bearings does it have? If it's a true servo and has ball or roller bearings, it would make a great spindle motor for a small mill. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this unit?

Tom

Not on a commercial sewing machine. They have oodles of power as soon as you touch the pedal. A simple closed loop circuit is not difficult, bosch uses a similar setup in their small bench wood lathes.

darryl
12-31-2013, 01:28 AM
No, a simple closed-loop circuit is not difficult. I hope that for the OP, this one has that- although if the motor is powerful enough, it will largely overcome the issues. The motor driving my lathe is not a servo, but it maintains a pretty good control of rpm simply by being voltage driven.

Doozer
12-31-2013, 08:40 AM
The motor would need to have an encoder or resolver to provide feedback
to the motion controler. I doubt it has that. In this case, calling it a
servo is a misnomer. It clearly has brush commutation, and probably
has a simple chopper drive. It might have current loop feedback, and
for that reason the guy might be calling it a servo. Nice try.

--Doozer

MaxHeadRoom
12-31-2013, 10:43 AM
It could even be a Universal motor as used in the old style treadle machines, if so it definitely is not a servo grade.
But if P.M. type, it most likely has a simple SCR bridge type controller, if so the only feedback is usually sensing the rpm drop through current monitoring and correction.
Max.

macona
12-31-2013, 11:13 AM
No, all you need is a tachometer on there. The is just velocity feedback, position is not needed. This can be as simple as a little dc permanent magnet motor attached to the shaft of the drive motor. Very easy to do and cheap to build.

Doozer
12-31-2013, 12:52 PM
OK, add tach to my previous list.

-D

quasi
12-31-2013, 02:56 PM
I have found a reference to it on the Hobby Machinist board, there seems to be a lot of satisfaction with them. I am not a member there so I cannot see the pictures of them in use.

Barrington
12-31-2013, 03:28 PM
The ebay motor looks very much like an TechSew 550 with a remote switch and a different badge.

Here's a video of a TechSew machine using that motor - it appears to have the quality of speed regulation of a servo as far as I can see - although the machine does benefit from the use of a pulley speed reduction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDizQ60OaiQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDizQ60OaiQ) (view of motor at 1:22)

Cheers

MrSleepy
12-31-2013, 03:52 PM
It looks like they do a brushless version aswell..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FPtomNv7Yk

Rob